Avocado Cafe - Tverskaja

Contact +7-495-6292802

Tverskaja Street, 5/6, Moscow, Russia,

Vegan and raw food choices with some dishes that can be made vegan. At certain times has live music. Western and Japanese cuisines. Also selection of veganized traditional Russian dishes. Has Russian and English menu cards. NOTE: entrance is on Nikitsky pereulok, a side street of Tverskaya. Open Mon-Sun 10:00am-11:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, International, Raw, Western, Buffet, Beer/Wine, Asian

First Review by anarchistanimal

Tasty and friendly - Edit

Quite a lot of vegan options, clearly marked on the menu. The waitress spoke really good English and helped me to choose. I had a raw borscht, avocado rolls and pelmeni with potatoes and mushrooms. Everything was fresh and tasty. Maybe not the cheapest place but worth a visit.

Pros: Plenty of vegan options, Fresh and tasty food, Good location; servers speak English

Cons: Pricey

We loved it! :) - Edit

We had Borschtsch, pelmeni and potatoes with eggplant and a mushroom sauce!
Everything tasted great! We simply loved it and will come back at least once before we have to leave :)

Pros: great food, has veganized russian dishes , great location

Cons: not that cheap (but still okay)

Quick and friendly - Edit

The place is quite easy to find and the location is really nice. Five minutes walk from metro station Ohotnyi rjad and Teatralnaya, 10-15 min walk from Red Square. Service was nice and quick, I ordered in Russian so I don't know about the language skills, menu was both Russian and English. Offers vegeterian, vegan and raw dishes. I have also a gluten-free diet and the waitress knew what that means (which is not so common in Russia) and she could help me find suitable food. Food was quickly served, portions were nice sized, I took hummus and raw pizza. They don't serve alcohol at all even though wines and beers are on the menu. Basically nice and neat place in the really core of the city.

Pros: Location, Service, Menu is diverse and long

Falafel deliciousness - Edit

After months of living in Russia, a bit of vegetarian food is a god-send! I went searching for this place as a nearby place from Red Square. It is totally within walking distance of Red Square.

I was quickly seated and once I placed my order quickly served. The people were super nice and helpful. I used and ordered in Russian, so I'm not sure about the English options.

Pros: veggie food in Russia, near tourist spots, yummy food

Cons: small dining room, bit pricy for Russia

Disappointing - Edit

Am uninspiring menu - couldn't choose as nothing really appealed and all seemed to be small portions that wouldn't fill me up. Chose the burger in the end which was nice but I could have had that in a non vege restaurant. The smoothie had a good flavour but wasn't cold. The cafe itself was dated and boring. I wouldn't go back or recommend it.

Pros: raw food on the menu

Cons: small portions , very boring cafe

Lots of choices - Edit

It had so many meal choices that it really took some time to decide, but the food was average. There was English menu, but the staff that served us was bad at English. When we asked for bread, she brought garlic bread. Drinks were good.

Low profile, high standards - Edit

For being close to the historical centre, tt is located in a rather quiet street. I went there twice, the second time the people serving didn't speak English but we managed to communicate :D. The menu is quite diverse and very tasty.
From the menu itself I was always in doubt about the size of the portions, not because of the price, which were quite fair and honest, but I was never sure if I was asking something too small or too little. I suggest to add a portion size signature because the menu is not presented in the western style -why would be?- where you recognize easily the entrée, soups, antipasta, main dishes, etc. For the rest is a very recommendable place. I still owe them a third visit, as I didn't have time to try the desserts.

Pros: Centrally located, Fair prices, Feels very Russian

Cons: English not always spoken

Tasty and comfortable - Edit

I went to the Avocado Café for the first time. The waitress was very kind and spoke English. Also the menue is english/russian with a lot to choose. Vegetarian/vegan/raw is marked. The dishes I ordered were served very quickly and turned out to be very delicious. The atmosphere is really quiet and comfortable. Though, it is not the cheapest place.
But I would come back.

Pros: Good atmosphere,english speaking waiters, Tasty food, Friendly service

Cons: Not very cheap

A breath of fresh air - Edit

After spending many days in Moscow with (omnivore) friends subsisting mostly on salad, it was nice to find a place I could confidently order from. They had an English menu available, though I expect some subtleties of where dishes come from and how they relate to traditional food was lost in the translation. The waitstaff spoke an impressive amount of English, and the food was quite tasty. It seems to vary rather a lot in how filling it is; according to the people I was with, the lasagna is probably the most filling.

Pros: good food, english menu, lots of veg*anized traditional cuisine

Cons: portion size varies widely, expensive

Pelmeni + Vareniki ;-) - Edit

I had heard a lot about "Avocado" in Moscow, so my expectations were quite high and I went here right after my arrival in Moscow, together with a non-veg colleague.

Around 9 p.m. we called ahead to make sure there would be space and food for us. We then arrived around 9:30. The extensive menu card (I believe it is exactly the same as at Avocado Cafe - Chistoprudny) was very impressive. Loads of vegan options, also quite some raw food ones.

My colleague was not very lucky with her choices, I believe she made three tries until she found something which was actually available. Maybe because it was late. And I think she was not overly thrilled by what she got at the end (I don't recall exactly what is was). I went for a raw borshtsh soup and a vegan pilaw. The pilaw was good, but not spectacular, and I did not like the borshtsh too much - it was very watery with a lot of raw leek / allium on top.

So, my first experience was not really as great as expected. But after this I returned twice because the menu card looked so great, the people were friendly and the atmosphere was cozy - and the place was not far from my hotel (+ just a few minutes walk from the Red Square). Both times I got really great food: for example wonderful vegan pelmeni and vareniki (2 traditional Russian dishes, both ravioli-like, vareniki are the sweet version) and great fresh salad. So it looks like our first evening was not representative. I will sure get back here on my next visit to Moscow!

Pros: many vegan options, mostly great food, central location

Cons: can run out of stock, no WiFi

nice place - Edit

We had some trouble finding it, luckily there was a large banner with an avocado on it outside which I could spot from the main street. The restaurant is in a cosy basement. The menu is very large, which makes choosing difficult. My non-veg colleague had a lasagne which she liked a lot, I had a dish with eggplant and lentils that I liked so much I have tried to recreate it at home (but it does not get quite as good as in the restaurant). Nice place, I would recommend it.

Lovely restaurant - Edit

A lovely vegetarian restaurant with a relaxed, cosy atmosphere and sumptuously comfortable chairs and couches. Their menu is extensive with plenty of clearly marked vegan options and a large raw food section. Part of the menu changes with the season. The workers speak some English and there is an English version of the menu. It can be a bit pricey if you order off the menu - 500-700 roubles for a starter and main. But they also have a set lunch special (which includes a salad, soup and main) for 210 roubles. I had a raw avocado salad and raw stuffed vegetables. Both were fresh, delicious and artfully prepared. At first there was a misunderstanding and I got an incorrect dish, but the waiter apologised and fixed it up straight away. Another nice, if unusual, aspect was that they give the weight for each dish on the menu. This helps if you're someone (like me) who prefers to eat a decent quantity of food when eating raw.

Pros: Artful raw dishes, Tasty vegan options

Cons: Can be pricey if you don't get the special

Return to Moscow Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Avocado Cafe - Tverskaja closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3742 times since Nov 2012.