Avocado

• Vegetarian
Contact 2103237878

Nikis 30 (at Syntagma), Athens, Greece, 105 57

Vegetarian restaurant est. 2011. Menu includes entrees, sandwiches, smoothies, juices, house-made bread and cake. Holiday hours vary so check ahead. Location is in central Athens, 10-minute walk from the two central metro stations.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, International, Western, Juice bar, Beer/Wine, Take-out

First Review by camillanorway

quirky & tasty - Edit

I had a vegan panini and it was absolutely delicious! Would recommend 100% - it's quite hard to find as it's down a small road but you'll know when you see it! Delightful interior and all the staff spoke great English! There were plenty of vegan options even though it's a veggie restaurant! Loved my food! Go go go if you're in Athens!

Our number 1 restaurant - Edit

We were two days in Athen and we visited Avocado three times:) Portions are huge, food is delicious and healthy! Prices are suitable for this quality and taste! Staff is very nice. It's very cosy inside. Definitely our no.1 !!!!
Now our best memory from Athens is food:)

Pros: FOOD!, location, staff

Epicurean - Edit

I'm vegan and have returned here twice already in three days. I would definitely come again. There are enough delicious vegan options here to eat many times while ordering something different each time. Gluten friendly too. Excellent service, friendly staff, and reasonably priced. Nice vibe. Good philosophy of compassion for the animals. Avocado also buys and serves many local and organic foods (which they also list on their menu).

Pros: see review above.

Cons: Small space. Make reservations ahead for peak dini

not a ton of vegan options - Edit

I guess I expect more options at a vegetarian restaurant. There seemed to be only one or two vegan options per section. The juice was good. The atmosphere is also good, and the waitstaff spoke great English.

An advocate for vegetarianism. - Edit

Close to Syntagma, this restaurant is friendly, welcoming and relaxed, serving absolutely delicious food in generous portions. On a four night stay, I ate there on three consecutive nights and enjoyed real variety. Many of the dishes are vegan, or can be made so. The raw chocolate desssert is sufficiently wicked as to require absolution. I can't recommend Avocado highly enough.

Pros: Delicious food, Genuinely kind and friendly staff, Close to the centre

Nice place - Edit

Not my favourite place, but really nice to sit there with friends and chat or study. The location is really good (close to syntagma station) and there are many vegan options in the menu. The burger that I ordered once was nice but made my stomach hurt all night long :/, perhaps because of the way that it was cooked. The internet connection is bad.

Pros: Location, Atmosphere

Great food, location and staff - Edit

Close to the centre of Athens in a narrow street you will find this oasis of great food. Menu is imaginative and food tastes great, so good to get proper fresh vegetables.

fresh juices are also great.

Staff are lovely (that's both lovely looking and nice).

Review based on two visits over one weekend.

Cons: Bit odd getting the bill before your starter.

best Restaurant in town - Edit

Bestes Restaurant in der Stadt. Auch für Veganer viele Angebote. Mega leckere, selbstgemachte Säfte. Wir waren mehrfach da, alles war einfach nur lecker und die Portionen waren fast nicht zu schaffen. Das Personal ist mega freundlich, berät einen und kümmert sich sehr um die Gäste. Sie empfehlen selbst, die Hauptspeisen zu teilen und nich einen Nachtisch zu probieren.
Die Lage im beliebten Viertel spielt natürlich noch hinzu.
Direkt nebenan ist ein Laden, in dem man auch viele vegane Produkte kaufen kann.

Pros: Lage, vegan, Preis-Leistung

Cons: keine

Great meals - Edit

I have been three times to this restaurant during my stay in Athens (Jan. 2016). It was usually packed with people. The food is fresh, tasty, plentiful. I also recommend their freshly squeezed juices.

Beautiful food in a welcoming environment - Edit

Avocado offers a very diverse and substantial menu with lots of options for vegans, but without any fall in quality. My fig and walnut salad was substantial enough to make a meal while still feeling light, and made with excellent fresh produce.

The drinks menu was also interesting. They make a good soy flat white - actually, this was the only place in Athens where I found soy milk!

Carnists I was travelling with also enjoyed their meals and were willing to come back a second time :)

Pros: Amazing, diverse food, Soy coffees, Relaxed atmosphere

Cons: Indoor seating only, Busy part of town

Really good spot for Vegans - Edit

I was so thankful that Vegnews magazine mentioned this restaurant in the travel section of their magazine because it was so good. I got pizza,soup, a salad and dessert and liked all of the above. Sometimes when you are traveling its nice to eat something that tastes familiar, which this did.

Pros: Big vegan friendly menu , Good food , Nice servers

Cons: Was confusing to find

Great Selection - Edit

Wonderful restaurant with a health food store next door.
We tried the vegetable paella and Caesar salad which were both great, especially the salad.
We would go back when in Athens, next!

Pros: Selection, Location, Vegan store next door

Very good food, plenty of vegan options! - Edit

The cost for eating out here might be a little high, but you sure get the best food, the staff is very friendly and there are many vegan options!
Updated from previous review on Thursday October 22, 2015

Good service, ok food - Edit

The title really says it all. Our meals here were ok but nothing outstanding. Location is convenient and maybe we just got unlucky with the meals that we chose but they weren't as good as we were hoping for based on the reviews. Of the places listed on Happy Cow that we ate at in Athens this was the most uninspiring meal - again the food wasn't bad, just not great. Service was good and friendly.

Pros: Friendly service, Good location, Ok food

The best place in Athens, but check their hours - Edit

This was my favorite meal in Athens and I wish I could have eaten there every day. However, even though their website said they were open on weekends, they were closed on weekends during the month of August because so many workers go on holiday. This was not posted anywhere I could find. When it was finally open for us, the manager apologized for the lack of publicized info, but it still sucked that we missed out. Nonetheless, the best meal after having the same standard dishes for weeks. So just make sure it's open and you will be happy.

Great vegan- vegetarian option in the city center - Edit

It is a small vegetarian and vegan friendly restaurant in the city center which provides great food with an earthy atmosphere. The staff is very polite and welcome but sometimes you can't find a table to sit. They should definitely consider an expansion because it is a very popular place.
Updated from previous review on Monday August 31, 2015

Pros: great food, enough vegan options, friendly staff

Cons: small and most of the times crowded, a little bit expensive

Don't miss the shakes! - Edit

Amazing vegan restaurant in Athens which was my number one go to spot along side Mama Tierra.

Try their avocado burger and vegan pasta bolognese - and don't miss out on the protein shake with almond milk, delicious!!

Delicious vegan burgers - Edit

Amazing vegan burger from with sweet potatoes and avocado! Nice service who recommended that we order our later, if we have any space left after the burger. And they were right!
We sat upstaris at Japanese-styled tables, where you sit on the floor and it was really comfortable.
Very rich menu with a lot of vegan options.

YUMMY!! - Edit

We had a hard time finding this place, probably because we didn't really look up the directions properly, but after a lot of walking we eventually found it, and it was so worth the trouble. We both ordered burgers and they were SO good, but portions and so filling. We were nearly too full to order dessert but we decided to share a piece of the Raw chocolate tart, and it was AMAZING!!! The best vegan dessert I have ever tried. The staff were all so lovely and friendly. If we had more time in Athens we would of been back for sure!

Pros: Excellent food, Friendly staff

tasty! no over processed 'fake meat' - just 'real' food. - Edit

worth a visit! it may seem dear but this is the centre of athens

Pros: fantastic food, massive portions, good service, ou

Cons: A little bit expensive. It's very small but popula

Delicious vegan food! - Edit

This is a great restaurant with friendly staff who speak English. We ordered the vegan pizza, the spaghetti bolognese, most of the appetizers, and the curry. The curry and the spaghetti were really tasty! I highly recommend checking this place out. The organic market next door is also great, and has a good selection of vegan food.

Not one to miss!! - Edit

Saw this place on happy cow and made the trip as soon as we arrived (suitcases in tow) on our first day.
All the staff were so lovely and very welcoming!
We ordered the Tempeh and the Guacamole starter to share which was fine for 2. Very delicious! They also do smoothies which we tried and loved.
We went back later the same day for dinner with no shame because everywhere else seemed lack in comparison! We had the Vegan Pizza and Vegan Avocado Burger, no joke their avocado is literally the best I've ever tasted.
Prices are moderate, but if you share its fine, most of the places in the centre are slightly more expensive anyway.
Definitely go here! Vegans and vegetarians very welcome!!

Pros: friendly , delicious , organic

Amazing! - Edit

We ate here multiple times on a recent trip and everything we tried was delicious. Vegan options are clearly marked on the menu and there are plenty of them. The service was excellent. The portion size was extremely generous. I only wished we had room for desert after seeing so many people snapping photos of theirs. I highly recommend this place!

Pros: vegan options, beer and wine, delicious food

Amazing food! - Edit

This place is really worth a visit. Although it is most healthy food, which atleast we don't usually get excited about, we ate the best healthy pizza! Good service, a nice place and a AMAZING vegan chocolate dessert. You can not visit this place without eating it.

Pros: The vegan chocolate dessert, The meals are big, Great food

Cons: Kind of pricy, A lot of their food contained nuts

A veggie gem in Athens! - Edit

I must admit, I was disappointed when I searched vegan in Athens and only a couple of restaurants came up.. I really expected there to be a big list! However on our first visit to 'Avocado' - I was not disappointed! My boyfriend and I ate here three times on our trip to Athens and I would definitely recommend it! It is in a good location - we were very lucky just a short 2 minute walk from our hotel (my idea of heaven!). The staff are lovely and friendly and the ambience of the restaurant is lovely too. we ordered a variety of things including herbal teas, smoothies, fresh juices, soups, salads, appetisers and mains and we enjoyed everything!

We also went here for dinner with two non-veg friends and they loved it! One of our friends was gluten free so it was an added bonus that this restaurant clearly noted all gluten free options - and there were quite a few to choose from. Our absolute favourite dish on the menu was the Goan Curry-Soup - it was so nourishing, hearty and delicious! Filled with vegetables and beans, we had to order another bowl! They also serve alcohol and I was very happy to learn all their wines were vegan :) I would definitely go back!

A true vegetarian gem in the city of Athens!
Updated from previous review on Tuesday April 07, 2015

Pros: FOOD!!! :), Location, Herbal Teas, Juices & Smoothies

Cons: Nothing!

Great place to eat vegan food! - Edit

We were in Athens for work and desperate to find some nice vegan food. What a great surprise to find Avocado! We went twice and owner very friendly. Staff eager to explain food they were serving. Price moderate and good service. Good vibe, nice to eat sitting on the floor on low tables!

The best restaurant in the world :) - Edit

We were extremely happy when we found this place and during our 3 days in Athens, we ate there... 4 times :)
Do you know this feeling when you look at the menu and you want to try absolutely everything? Yes, this is AVOCADO :)
We tried the burger, risotto, salads, chocolate raw cake, the Hug the Tree cake, vegan coconut smoothie -> all heaven :)))))
The prices are adequate to the quality and quantity of food and the service -> amazing too! ;)

This is honestly the best restaurant in the world and we would love to live closer, so we could be there every weekend :)

Pros: menu, the place, staff-service, prices, size of portions

Cons: none

Superb - Edit

I found this restaurant in Athens in my last visit and I only can have good words the the food and the staff. I ate a couple of days and all the time the food (vegan) was very tasty, very well presented and good portions. Staff is very friendly and efficient and they are keeping an eye on the customers all the time. Next door they have a shop so it is very convenient. And good location as its around the corner of Syntagma Square. I am looking forward to come back next time I am in Athens. well done guys!

Pros: superb food, very friendly staff, very central

Good One - Edit

That is a very good restaurant with wonderful menu. one of the best veg restaurants I have ever been to. advise to everybody!
lot's of salads, main course contains protein, so every meal is well balanced.

Pros: amasing food, nice staff, warm atmosphere

Cons: not cheap

Superb - Edit

Fabulous menu with really good treats, like vegan pizza. Some items have dairy. Over a few visits, I had the Zen Tempeh €11,50 with organic rice noodles, ginger, snow peas, red curry, tempeh chunks. I also had the Vibrant Vegan Pizza €10.50 and raw chocolate tart €7.00. Juices & smoothies, large menu. Free wifi.

Pros: great food

unser Urlaubs-Highlight - Edit

Das Avocado ist super!

Säfte und alle Gerichte werden frisch zubereitet.
Es gibt so viele vegane Sachen. Man muss es dazu sagen.

Die Toiletten waren sehr modern und sauber.

Lieber isst man im Avocado als auf der Plaka!!! (ist genauso teuer aber ungleich frischer!!!)

Das Avocado war ein Highlight in unserem Griechenland-Urlaub!

Wir waren 2x dort und jedes Mal war es genauso gut.

Pros: frische Zubereitung, lecker!

Cons: keine

No words for how good it is - Edit

Avocado is AWESOME.

The prices are inexpensive, and everything I tried was extremely delicious. I ate here 4 times in 5 days.

They have a large number of vegan options, and many more items can be altered to become vegan. There are changing daily specials, as well.

The food is very filling, and the flavors are wonderful, so you get a great meal which is filling at a good price.

I tried the following items:
Falafel plate - very bold, unique flavors in the falafel and the salad.

Raw chocolate cake - just plain amazing. (specify you are vegan, so they don't put honey on top of it)

Dal soup - very delicious and very filling

Avocado burger - one of THE BEST sandwiches I have ever had in my whole life.

GO HERE AND GET THE AVOCADO BURGER. Seriously.

Pros: No meat, Very friendly, Amazing food

Great veg rest! Amazing chocolate avocado pie! - Edit

Central neat and smart veg restaurant. Nice and well done menù, great dishes both veg and vegetarian. They have many recepies with avocados (of course!).... You have to go there to try the Raw avocado chocolate cake........amazing, never had such a delicious pie.

Pros: Quality of food, Bio ingredients, Quality/price

Perfect! - Edit

Really a good place, with large choice of vegan and gluten free dishes, we ate there twice and enjoyed it very much.

Another interesting thing is that just near the restaurant there is a shop with organic food, so we took the opportunity to buy soy milk and vegan cookies for breakfast in hotel ;-)

Pros: excellent food, good value, friendly staff

Cons: none

The Best Vegetarian Restaurant I've Been To - Edit

This is my new favorite place in the WORLD! I loved it so much that I went their twice in a 10 day trip to Greece. I've blogged about both my visits, check it out below!

Great Way To End My Holiday - Edit

This place is great. We visited at the end of a weeklong holiday after finding little to provide us with a hearty vegan meal. The location was very central & the staff we very friendly & accommodating. The food was very delicous, so much so that we paid another quick visit just before dashing to the airport the next day. Portion sizes were generous & the food was well presented & served quickly. I have to say I was greatly surprised & would recommend this to anyone visiting Athens, along with the raw vegan chocolate tart!

Pros: Speedy, Friendly, Tasty

this place has heart - delicious!! - Edit

Funky and chic - this place has heart and the food is delicious!! We tried to udon noodle stirfry and quinoa mushroom ragout. The guac to start was super yummy! Highly recommend! Staff are lovely!

Pros: menu , staff , ambience

Avocado is a DREAM!!!! - Edit

Avocado is delicious, yummy & so much fun!
Vegetarian AND Vegan food! Lovely people, Eraj is the perfect host & great yoga right across the street @NYSY Yoga Studio!

Try the Avocado Dream...it's a DREAM!!! YUMMYYYYYY!!!

Amazing Food in a wonderful place - Edit

I absolutely LOVED this place on my last trip to Athens, a very large variety of food, amazing juices, salads. The restaurant itself is very nice and easy to find, the owners and people working there are very kind and make you feel very welcomed. I loved every dish I tried there, I went 4 times.

Pros: Food, Location, Service

Cons: Not expensive but not inexpensive

excellent food, many vegan options - Edit

We (two couples) ate here three times and enjoyed every meal. The food was excellent with many menu choices, and many vegan options. Great soups, salads, first courses, and main dishes. I won't name all that we tried in those three meals - too many to remember. A few more vegan options for dessert would be nice, and though coconut oil sure makes tasty desserts, maybe something lower fat would be good, too (thinking of the chocolate pie).
Though the menu says that the herbal teas were their own blend, the Bengal Spice was simply a Celestial Seasonings tea bag (for 3.5 Euros!). If it were their own blend, it would not be right to use the Celestial Seasonings tea blend name, but since it was not their own (pretty obvious), they should have said so on the menu. On a different night they made me hot chocolate with 100% cocoa and soy milk, after I inquired about their hot chocolate and found that it was made with a product that had sugar in it (I'm not big on the commercial hot chocolate mixes).
There were two macrobiotic menu items - a macrobiotic plate and udon noodles with veggies and ginger. I had the first one on my first visit and the udon noodles my third visit. Both were superb, and it was weird to me that the waiter said (on our second visit) when I inquired about the udon noodle dish that I should know that the macrobiotic options aren't particularly tasty and that they have those items on the menu for people who insist on macrobiotic food. I didn't order it that night (was kind of scared off), and the next time, I inquired again (because it says on the menu "ask about", like maybe it is different on different days), and he said "same as last night". I ordered it any way, and was I glad I didn't listen to him. The ginger flavor in it was great, there were fresh green beans, a delicate (giner) sauce, sweet potato pieces, chard, and it was excellent. I don't keep a macrobiotic diet, but who cares? It was good!

Pros: great food, great location, satisfying portions

Cons: drinks are pricey

A Must! - Edit

We celebrated a milestone birthday for me in this restaurant. The food, atmosphere and staff were great. My only issue was that it was not fully Greek. Other than that, perfect cooked and presented.

Pros: good food, fun staff

Cons: not all Greek

Inspiring but prohibitively expensive - Edit

I'm a non-vegetarian with a love for veg food. So I frequent in places like Avocado for the love of the food. I have visited Avocado many times. I like the general atmosphere although the place can get pretty hard to navigate when full. Luckily most of the times I was there, it wasn't all that full, so the difficulty to walk among the tables seemed relatively minimal. The waiter had a problem though when people would stand up to walk to their tables or the toilet, since there isn't much space to walk around standing people. So the size of the space not in the pluses for sure.
The food? Well, OK. I'm Greek but have lived abroad for some 20yrs. Frankly, I've seen and tasted much better vegetarian food.
And in much lower prices.
I have tried the falafel, their veggie burger, their Abundance rice plate, there were all average. The rice plate in particular tasted like it was made of those microwaveable rice packets you buy in the supermarket. A big disappointment given that I love Basmati.
The smoothies? I had the Mango Lassi, which I normally love. Well, it was not blended well and it was not a "smooth" smoothie... It is called a "smoothie" for a reason, right? At 6 euro per glass, you would think they'd take care of it!
The biggest minus was their prices.
I don't know who they target as their customers, but local people have no money for an 8 euro salad. Besides, we are in Greece, the land of the fresh abundantly-found veggies, how can a salad cost 8 euro per plate?!
In the pluses I have to add the fact that the staff is listening. One of the times I ate there, I left pretty fast and rather disappointed for having spent so much money on something I didn't enjoy much. The girl at the counter asked me if I enjoyed the food, which I appreciated it very much. I was honest and she took a mental note. It's rare for Greeks not to become defensive when you criticize their food so I will give them that. She seemed to truly have listened. As for me, I didn't return since then. I hope they have taken the comments onboard and have improved.
Updated from previous review on Thursday November 22, 2012

Pros: ambiance, caring staff, location

Cons: prohibitively expensive, food quality, small space

great atmosphere - Edit

Avocado is a veggie restaurant with good vibes, conveniently place across the street from a yoga studio and right next to an organic store! I love the colors in the restaurant and the fact that you can eat seated on the floor in the top area, next to the kitchen. The juices are yummy and the food is tasty, made from scratch and most of it well presented. :)

Pros: nice vibe, seating on the floor

Cons: not enough vegan options in desserts

Delicious!!! - Edit

This restaurant is amazing. Just completely, totally delicious. I was so impressed with it after going there for lunch that I then went there for dinner, and for lunch the next day. My companion and I got different meals and tried each others. It appears that they do not serve a single dish that is anything less than fantastic.

My partner and I are vegan, which we were pretty worried about in Athens. The staff was very familiar with the vegan diet, and in addition to offering several vegan dishes, were excellent at altering their regular dishes for our dietary needs. I also would say that even meat eaters would like this place --- it's really excellent. I would also highly recommend it for anyone with special dietary needs.

The staff is friendly, helpful, and attentive. They were really great at being around to refill water or answer questions, without being too intrusive. We got one meal to go (and ordered it in the restaurant). While we were waiting, they set us up with comfy seats, and lots of water and bread, free of charge. I would go back to Athens just to eat at this restaurant again.

Pros: Great food, Great service, Great atmosphere

WE LOVE YOU AVOCADO - Edit

My partner and I visited Avocado TWICE in our four-day trip to Athens, we loved it so much!

First visit: I had the Island Fusion juice from the extensive juice and smoothie menu, and it was amazing, so refreshing! I then ordered the vegan pizza and my partner ordered one of the rice dishes... it has Breeze in the name? I forget. Anyway, he thought it was delicious and very filling. Unfortunately the waiter mixed up my order and brought me a cheese pizza by accident. However, he was SUPER lovely about it and the owner came to apologise too. I was given a free dish to make up for it. I had a side of guacamole with crispbreads and it was DIVINE. Normally I am a guacamole purist and don't like too much additional stuff put in but this stuff was magical! Make sure you have it!
My vegan pizza arrived quickly thereafter and I have NO IDEA how other people in the reviews are able to criticise it?! It was SO GOOD. Grated courgettes on the base keep it moist as so many vegan pizzas taste dry -- it has very chunky veg on as toppings and big slices of avocado! Maybe if you're squeamish about vegetables it might be too much? But I thought it was hearty, healthy and delicious!

Second visit: this time I had the Living Lemonade which is literally about four lemons and an apple. So fresh and very tart. Yum! My partner had the Island Fusion as I'd liked it so much last time. Think it is the best think on the drinks menu! For food we had more of the magical guacamole, and then the spinach avocado salad and the Om Shanti curry to share. The salad dressing was quite lemony but the salad itself was huge and tasted super fresh. The curry was very mild, again tasted very fresh and was really delicious!

We loved both our visits and raved to the staff about the food, and we heard others doing the same. Both times the place was quite quiet but there was a nice atmosphere. The staff are lovely, friendly, knowledgeable, and super pleasant! We were welcomed warmly, waited on attentively and always had our water glasses refreshed! The decor is simple and beautiful with nice vibrant paintings on the wall. There's a nice small patio outside with a couple of tables too. Nice bathrooms. And we were really pleased with the very reasonable prices. Everything is brilliant! Highly highly recommended if you're a vegan in Athens! We love you Avocado!

Pros: Vegan pizza * Lots of choice , Lovely staff * Island fusion juice!, Good prices * Nice atmosphere

Cons: None! Go visit!

Fresh but expensive - Edit

this is a cute place in the city center and when I went it was packed with tourists. I got a bit confused with their menu and didn't really know what to order. I was surprised to see that the only dish they were serving with tofu was not a vegan one and also it wasn't easy to make it vegan either. I got the falafel instead, which they were too dry and the portion was very small. The taste was alright but nothing spectacular. My friend got the vegan pizza which had too many toppings on it and it wasn't easy to eat it as the flavors didn't really go well together and each slice was too heavy to hold and eat. We also shared the hummus which was very tasty. The green juice was nice but had a bit bitter taste. Overall I liked it and will go back for sure but I will try to choose more down to earth dishes next time I am there

the pizza... so and so - Edit

i ate the vibrant vegan pizza... the crust was very nice but i thought it had too many ingredients/flavors on top that didn't go so well together. maybe sometimes less is more.. also it had big chunks of garlic on top that wasn't cooked that well and so after dyo slices of pizza i had a stomach ache. all and all i didn't like it but it could just be me..

Our favorite restaurant in Athens - Edit

Avocado is a natural-foods restaurant run quite ably by people who put their hearts into creating a good experience for their guests. We wound up eating most of our nine meals in Athens here.

Our favorites were the 'Mother Earth' spinach pie (amazingly good!) and the 'Vibrant Vegan' pizza with avocado (one of the best vegan pizzas we've had anywhere). The guacamole and the 'Hug a Tree' apple tart are also recommendable, as are the fresh juices.

Overall, we found the appetizers to be generally better value than the main courses, with the notable exception of the 'Vibrant Vegan' pizza, which is quite satisfying. Other than that, we have only one suggestion for improvement: We'd prefer if the dishes that include grains had more veggies and less of the grains.

We really appreciated the warm and attentive service from the kind-hearted staff, which made every meal at Avocado a very pleasant experience. We hope to return!

Pros: Great flavors, diverse menu, Reasonable number of tasty vegan options, Fair prices overall

Cons: Could be more vegan options

Awesome & Healthy Vegetarian Cafe - Edit

Wow! This place is great. Super healthy vegetarian food, much of it vegan. Lots of avocado on the menu (obviously)....try their guacamole. Many great salads on the menu, including a few with quinoa. My favorite thing on the menu was the vegan spinach pie. Wish I could have te recipe! Very good house wine, and terrific desserts. We loved this place so much we ate 2 dinners and 1 lunch here. Its right on the edge of Plaka, so its very convenient. And the best part - its cheap (around 30 Euros for 2 person dinner with wine). I definitely recommend eating here.

Very Green! - Edit

being the only Vegetarian restaurant in Athens for the past year, I have visited this place over 20 times. Their juices are very refreshing. The vegan pizza is also very good and I also like their mixed vegetables soup. Falafel which is my favorite food was unfortunately dry and poorly served and a sandwich that my husband got with roasted peppers was too oily - felt that they are using roasted peppers from a jar. The staff is very friendly thought and the place very clean and green!

Pros: location, friendly staff, nice juice bar

Cons: expensive, small portions

sadly high prices - Edit

I have visited avocado quite few times as it is one of the very few vegetarian places in Athens. The soups and the vegan pizza are good. The best guacamole I ever had. The falafel was too dry and really small serving. And the smoothies were very warm instead of refreshing. The staff is very friendly.

Pros: friendly staff, good location

Cons: high prices

Avocado was a home away from home - Edit

We spent 4 days in Athens and ate one meal out each day. That meal was at Avocado. Even though my husband is not even a vegetarian, we both enjoyed the food and ambiance and staff greatly. Maria is a delight and the owner is quite charming as well.
We were seated outside when a couple sat outside to eat and smoke. They happily reseated us inside and opened the back door (it was 90 outside).
I am an eggless vegetarian and could not eat everything they serve; but was very happy with their Gratitude Salad, Abundance and Mushroom Prana, Vegan pizza and special Greek appetizer.

Pros: Healthy cuisine, Excellent Value, Friendly staff

Cons: Smokers in outside tables

Very nice! - Edit

We ate dinner here after a long horrible day of traveling. The atmosphere was pleasant and soothing and we enjoyed our meal. We shared a vegan pizza and I got a curry dal soup and my boyfriend got a mixed veggie soup. I preferred the veggie soup although both were nice. The pizza was tasty- nice crust, a variety of vegetables and avocado. We also had some sort of juices- although I don't remember exactly what they were, I do remember enjoying them. There was a little store next door where we bought some grapefruit juice and dark chocolate. It looked like they had a variety of vegan-friendly toiletries and other stuff too.

Pros: tasty food , nice atmosphere

Can't say enough good things about this place! - Edit

My husband and I just spent 5 full days in Athens. We ended up eating 6 meals at this place in those 5 days! I used to live in NYC,before moving to Copenhagen,and this place reminded me of places I would eat at in NY. The ambiance is wonderful and soothing,the food is delicious,clean,healthy and interesting. The staff was extremely friendly,as well. We felt welcomed as soon as we walked in the front door. The owner is clearly a hard-working man,helping to run food and even goes around to great the customers while they're dining,to make sure everyone is happy. This is a place I will be missing until I can go back to Athens.

Pros: Clean, friendly, delicious

Cons: a littly pricier than I expected

You shouldn't miss this place - yummy food! - Edit

If you're a vegetarian, you shouldn't miss this place! It is all centered around tasty food and great service! I signed up for HappyCow just to review this place. I am in LOVE with this place. The owner Eraj was super friendly and his place is very clean.

When I entered the restaurant during lunch hour I was instantly greeted by the manager.

When I asked about their menu she went into great detail, explaining all of their dishes. Before I ordered, the waitress brought me several samples of different menu items. I've never seen such a thing. And the food- oh my god. Amazingly yummy.

Everything was great, definitely a good way to get people to come back for more. The place is small and very casual. When I got my food, it was amazing!
I could hardly believe it wasn't real meat. I am glad I tried it and will go back for more...
Please give this place a try. The family who owns it puts a great deal of effort into making this food absolutely delicious.

I can't say enough good things about this vegetarian restaurant.

Pros: taste, service, price

Almost - Edit

I finally found this place, but they were not open due to construction. However, the owner was very kind and came out to direct me to a small tavern (about 2 blocks away) that have a wide variety of vegan options available. Loved the tavern...and this restaurant looked like it would have been a winner.

Pros: friendly staff, vegan options

FRESH food made with LOVE - Edit

We visited this restaurant based off reviews on Tripadvisor.com on a recent trip to Athens Greece and we were happy we did it. The service at Avocado was very good, food was great and shakes were delicious. A large selection of vegan and vegetarian dishes, very fresh, tasty, and inexpensive. Emphasis on FRESH. On my first bite I could tell the food was made with LOVE. Everything I tasted was different, special and delicious from the fun smoothies and unique deserts to innovative salads and thin crust pizzas.

The people at Avocado take special care of the customers and are very friendly. I also liked that l can call in ahead for take-out or eat in. I would definitely recommend this restaurant.

Pros: fresh food, service, price

Truly an oasis of calm in Athens - Edit

My friend and I visited the long closed Eden on our last trip to Athens (many years ago) and upon returning this year was determined to try Advocado (which i think is the only veggie place in Athens. Quite hard to believe in a city the size of Athens but there is a deep tradition of souvlaki / kebabs etc and just a quite meaty culture.

The restaurant is quite easy to find - being quite close to the historic old town and Plaka region and really is a calm relaxing place after a hot day in Athens. We walked from the "hip" Gazi area across town so were ready for some tlc.

Free water while we chose from the extensive menu was a nice touch. The service was polite and relaxed with explanations offered about the various dishes. In fact it was some of the most friendly service I have had in a Vegetarian restaurant.

Food was a delight. I had the veggei burger - one of the best of its kind with a lovely sauce and beetroot salad. My friend had the farmers salad with its exquisite dressing - seriously you have to try this! Dill, honey, tahini. orange, oil? Oh yes. I also tried the smoothie with advocado and almond milk - superb...The bread is also to die for with spices and a lovely sour dour texture...

Unfortunately was too full to try desert or anything else and as it was our last day in Greece we couldnt go back to try more. I would serously recommend this place to anyone passing through Athens. Delicious!
Updated from previous review on Friday September 30, 2011

Pros: Great service, Lovely food, Nice calm atmosphere

Cons: Pecorino cheese? has renet. Sorry guys!

nice find... - Edit

I just stumbled across the place in the Syntagma/Plaka area, and got an avocado shake. It was bright, clean, friendly, and not overpriced... my only regret is that I am only visiting so can't return soon.

Pros: outdoor seating, clean, friendly

A Vegetarian Heaven in the heart of Athens - Edit

***** food, ***** for service, ***** for price
----------------------------------------------------
Avocado is one of my go-to restaurants in Athens and everything I've ever eaten here has been amazing. The service is friendly and attentive serving ice-cold water and constantly coming by to fill up my avocado-green glass. Management is great, polite and welcoming.

Avocado menu is a breath-of-fresh-air, full of vegan and vegetarian delicacies that cover the full spectrum of tastes, textures and flavors. I try to get something new every time I go from the extensive menu . Some of my favorites that I can't help coming back to are the vegan specialties such as the "Sea Breeze" avocado laced gazpacho soup, the "Beautiful Day" salad, the "Eat Pray Love" noodles, the "Prema Rasa" sandwich, delicious "Mango Shake" smoothie and the "Samadhi Express" dessert. Yes it is fabulous, I love it and will keep coming back.

Avocado restaurant is quite a 'find' and that once discovered people return over and over again.

Updated from previous review on Saturday July 23, 2011

Pros: Great food, Excellent people, Inexpensive

Fresh Nutritious food in the heart of Athens - Edit

I simply Love, love, LOVE Avocado Athens. Hands down the best vegan food I've ever had! From the freshly made salads (I had the baby spinach with avocado, apple and cucumbers) to thin crust veggies pizzas, to caponata a delicious dish made pout of peppers, tomatoes,eggplant, olives, capers, and pine nuts....Yaaammmmy! I paired it with the Moshofilero white wine and I was in heaven. The service in Avocado is always with a smile and love... you can feel it. When you love what you are doing, and recognize that it is also a gift to be doing what you love - it shows. Avocado has a serene environment, great hand-made food, and low prices. I highly recommend it to anyone wanting to find a great restaurant in the heart of Athens and have memorable experience. My taste buds will never be the same!
Updated from previous review on Thursday July 21, 2011

Pros: taste, service, price

Food for the soul - Edit

The location is perfect, almost in the heart of Athens within a walking distance from the acropolis. The place is amazing, as soon as you walk in you feel welcomed! The food is fairly priced, inexepensive I would say.The food, delicious! I'm not a vegan but I surely enjoyed every dish... I even went back the next day. And what can I say about the staff, they are so nice, always trying to make your time enjoyable...my compliments to the manager!

Pros: good food, good prices, good staff

Hidden Surprise - Edit

Stumbled across Avocado on my stay in Athens. Had the veg burger and shakes. Great taste, very nice manager, would definitely come back

Pros: Excellent food, Good value, Friendly staff

Athenian Veggie Oasis - Edit

We spent a week in Greece and Avocado saved our trip. One might think that eating vegetarian in Athens is very easy but it was clear to us that the vegetable dishes from the "normal" restaurants are still made with chicken/meat stock, etc. So about Avocado. A lovely little place just a few steps from Syntagma with delicious food and wonderful team! We went back with our meat eater family and they loved it. Don't forget to try their shakes and the vegan desserts :)

A small gem in the Plaka - Edit

This is our 2nd time in Athens, and we were so excited to find Avocado. The Greek salad was the best we have had in Greece. The felafel was also excellent. The people who work there are incredibly kind, and ever so helpful.
Both my teenage daughters also loved the restaurant. We also very much enjoyed the juice bar, and the smoothies. I am actually sad to be moving on to another island. Bravo Avocado!

Pros: Health cuisine, Juice bar, Great staff

Fresh! - Edit

Wow! So great to have a vegan friendly healthy restaurant in Athens with a meat free kitchen. FINALLY!

The food is very fresh and light. They have quite a few vegan options. The menu pulls dishes from multiple international cuisines... dahl soup, pasta, stir fries, pizzas, salads, sandwiches (including a falafel sandwich!) and a selection of juices and smoothies.

I appreciated that their menu didn't rely heavily on mock meat or soy or anything like that. It was more a celebration of actual veggies, fruits, grains, and nuts!

We ordered a raw gazpacho, a veggie fried rice, and a mixed veg curry. All where really nice but the veggie fried rice was our favorite.

We also gulped down a carrot cucumber juice. Super good!

I give this place 4 cows. I deduct half a cow for the menu labeling (it would be great to see little "v" next to vegan things and maybe "vo" next to things with a vegan option). And I deduct another half cow for not having any vegan desserts (besides fruits and smoothies).

Overall though, this place is delightful. The staff was super friendly too. Full of joy. I recommend!

PS. Note that there is a truly good bio market directly next door! Do your snacking and health food shopping in one trip! :hearts!:

Pros: Fresh, Friendly, Inexpensive

Cons: Not 100% vegan

a gem! - Edit

We actually came to avocado the day before it officially opened. The owner was kind enough to invite us in anyway and served us fresh juices and perfect vegan pizza, made by the chef from Napoli.when we had finished we were offered a taste of another dish that they were preparing! The menu looked interesting with a couple of vegan choices. I would absolutely recommend a visit if you are in Athens.

Pros: excellent food, good service

Cons: few vegan options

Return to Athens Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Avocado closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 11598 times since Mar 2011.