Avant Garden

Contact 646-922-7948

130 E 7th St, New York City, New York, USA, 10009

Opened Sept 2015. Upscale contemporary vegan dining from chef Andrew D'Ambrosi. Open Mon-Thu 5:30pm-11:00pm, Fri-Sat 5:30pm-12:00am, Sat-Sun 12:00am-12:00am, Sun 5:30pm-11:00pm.

Category: Vegan, American, Beer/Wine

First Review by vegan-ese

Nice upscale vegan resto - Edit

First of all, this place is tiny so make certain to secure reservations if you don't want to be disappointed. The meals are meticulously prepared and if you sit at the bar, you can watch everything being made. Very veggie centric meals that are both simple yet complex tasting. Based on the reviews, I thought this might be like Gadarine Swine in LA but this is much more simplistic. Still worth a visit. If you aren't full from your selections, definitely get dessert which was a huge rice pudding filled with coconut milk. That will fill you up quickly!!

veggies! - Edit

I brought my husband to Avant Garden for his birthday this year. I don't normally go for the restaurants that are completely veggies (meaning not meat-substitute restaurants), but this place is amazing! It's a little pricey, but well worth it. I have never been so happy to drop $12 on two medium sized pieces of toast! The toasts was so interesting and flavorful! We were told to order 2-3 dishes per person, so after two orders of toast, we had the carbonara, the mushrooms, and the risotto. The mushrooms had a meaty flavor somehow. They were so well prepared. Some mushrooms were made into a paste, others seared, etc. The risotto had apples and was very autumny. The service was excellent. A tiny, pricey, but lovely experience!

Best experience in NYC - Edit

The perfect place to go out. Every meal is served seperately so you get the right amount of time to try out everything together. The meals are very good, especially the presentation but also taste-wise. The price is higher of course, but still OK regarding the experience. We especially liked the juice with champaign. The kitchen is open so you can see most of the preparation as well. The only downside was the strong smell of the kitchen that stays in the clothing.

Pros: Food presentation, Staff

Cons: Kitchen smell

The best!! - Edit

Avant Garden is AMAZING. The food is all so creative and delicious! I've been there twice so far, and both times were great experiences. The menu changes pretty often since it's seasonal, and all of the dishes are very unique and creative with tons of flavor. All of the staff are very friendly and helpful. The ambience is great: very nice but relaxed. There is also a great wine menu. This restaurant is a must for anyone wanted to try creative food.

Haute Vegan at its best - Edit

Avant Garden only opened a few months ago, but has already got a lot of raving press reviews. Well, everything you read about this place is true: it is outstanding! The chef's creativity is unmatched: all the ingredients in his dishes blend together in the most perfect and unexpected way! Avant Garden is a must try for any foodie, whether they are veg or not! Our server was the most charming, funny and attentive one can ask for. He welcomed us with a big warm smile and made us feel very special. The space is tiny and has a very intimate and romantic feel thanks to the dim lighting and rustic/chic atmosphere. It looks like the menu changes often and everything we tried, from the fennel humus toast, the Farro risotto, Maitake mushrooms and the gnocchi was superb! The only down point was that there was no dessert (they ran out of them, but it looks like desserts are not their forte) Anyway, make sure to try Avant Garden! It is clean and sophisticated eating at its best, leaving you happily full but not bloated.
Updated from previous review on Monday February 22, 2016

Pros: Quality of ingredients, Creativity, Atmosphere

Cons: No enough dessert selection

Fine Vegan Dining - Edit

Avant Garden is one of my favorite restaurants. The menu is innovative, the environment cozy and comfortable, and the staff and service are fabulous. Everyone who works there is always so friendly and the food is unlike anything else I've had. It is truly vegan fine dining, and we always leave feeling perfectly satisfied and smiling. Great for date night.

Pros: Innovative menu, Fantastic staff and service, Wonderful atmosphere

Original and Friendly - Edit

This restaurant was a pleasant surprise. The menu was very creative, with strong and interesting flavor combinations. The waiter was extremely friendly and helpful. The wine was also very nice. And the decor is lovely. Overall this is an excellent restaurant.

Pros: Creative, delicious food, Friendly waiter, Good wine

Delicious!!! - Edit

I had a new year dinner here on January 1, 2016. The food was absolutely amazing!! Everything was just mind blowing! I had a risotto, marinated mushrooms and toast with eggplant! It's a nice cozy place and has a great ambience. The only nuisance was the smell of burning oil I guess due to lack of ventilation. But it was such a small thing compare to my overall experience!

Showcasing vegetables - Edit

This place is all vegan and very creative with their dishes which are designed to show off vegetables. Everything is made to order and they bring out the dishes one at a time for you to share. We ordered 6 dishes (1 toast + 2 cold + 2 hot + 1 dessert) which was more than enough. In fact, we wished we hadn't ordered the second hot dish. Overall, I enjoyed the toast & cold dishes most with the two hot dishes being very rich and filling. I also found the seasoning of all dishes too salty. The open kitchen means you will smell like food when you leave.

Pros: Inventive vegan cuisine

Cons: Smell like food after dinner

The craft and art of food - Edit

The dishes are served in the order they appear on the menu: toast, cold, then hot. The staff recommends ordering 2 to 3 dishes per person (remember, this is haute cuisine).

The dishes were beautifully complex. I especially recommend the eggplant toast, the king oyster (hot), and the potato cannelloni with eggplant merguez (hot).

The hot cauliflower dish was bit flat, though... I think more pine nuts would have helped.

I made advance reservations online for a bustling Friday night, but the staff was able to find seats for a bunch of walk-ins.

Overall, I really enjoyed this culinary experience. Be sure to bring company who can appreciate the chef's craft.

Pros: Simple ingredients. No faux meats or analogues

Cons: Pricey -- this is fine dining for special occasion

Return to New York City Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Avant Garden closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3914 times since Sep 2015.