Auto Mercado (Centro)

• Health Store Health Store
Contact 50622335511

Avenida 3, Calle 3, San Jose, Costa Rica,

This is a regular supermarket chain that offers more vegan options here than at other locations, including multiple brands of soymilk and nut milks and soy yogurt. Carries numerous BioLand products that are widely found at other stores, including cookies, snacks, flax, cereals, organic coffee, and the delicious, expensive, but vegan Britt brand chocolate treats, such as chocolate covered coffee beans, macadamia nuts, and passion fruit jelly. Open Mon-Sat 7:00am-9:00pm, Sun 8:00am-4:00pm.

First Review by Sarah P

average grocery store - Edit

I shopped here years ago when visiting San Jose because of its central location. It is close to the hostels and hotels I have stayed at. The prices have gone up since then but the selection has too. I never found vegan options here in the past but this time I found several. They are all already listed. I found things were a bit expensive compared to other stores.

Pros: location, selection

Best chain store - Edit

I shop at the Automercado in Los Yoses when at home and at the one in Multiplaza Escazú when at work. Automercado is the best local large chain of supermarkets for shopping of vegan and vegetarian goods. There is a decent selection of soy and nut milks. The have a Boca burgers and breakfast links as well as some Morning Star products like veggie bacon, mock chicken nuggets, breakfast links, burgers and veggie soy crumbles. There are local soy deli products from SoyaLight and soy yogurts. Occasionally they'll bring vegan cheese. As mentioned by others, Automercado carries the entire Bioland line of TVP, granola, cereals, rice cakes, etc. They are now also carrying gluten-free items for those with gluten allergies.

Pros: large selection, very nice stores, friendly staff

Cons: variety of some items is limited

The best grocery store in San Jose area - Edit

I lived in San Pedro, which is part of the greater San Jose area for about four months. Auto Mercado was definitely my store of choice for most things. They have many things that are not available anywhere else. eg. soymilk, tofu, imitation meats, I even found vegan ice cream there once. They also have a much better selection of non specialty foods than most other grocery stores in the area. I always went to the one in Los Yoses. Just take a taxi and tell the driver Auto Mercado Los yoses. They don't use addresses there. Oh, and for sure look for Bioland products. It's costa ricas best natural foods brand.

Pros: wide selection, many specialty foods

good option in center of San Jose - Edit

I shopped at this Auto Mercado yesterday and found many more options than at other stores, including organic almond milk and several choices of soymilk. There is a coffee cafe on the upper level that does not offer drinks with soymilk. I found 3 flavors of soy yogurt in the yogurt section. The BioLand selection of products is as extensive as any large market or macrobiotic store I have been in. I found bagged organic coffee here, as well as every kind of those delicious Britt chocolates. The prices were less than at many other stores I had been in.

Walk north from the post office on Avenida 3 for several blocks and this Auto Mercado is on the opposite side of the street, on a corner. There is another Auto Mercado a block up on an adjacent corner, but I did not go in that one.

Pros: wide selection of mylks, soy yogurt, better prices than others

Cons: not a 100% vegan store

Return to San Jose Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Auto Mercado (Centro) closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.