Austens of Rochester

• Health-food-store Health Store
+44-1634838775

137B High St, Rochester, England, ME1 1EU

More than just a greengrocer. Carries fresh & seasonal locally grown fruit & vegetables, artisan & whole-food products, cooking ingredients & more. Open Mon 8:30am-6:00pm, Tue-Fri 8:30am-7:00pm, Sat 8:30am-6:00pm. Closed Sun.

First Review by TARAMCDONALD

Incredible! Farm shop on the high street. - Edit

I love this place. Full stop!
Living in a small town like Rochester when a new business opens selling exactly what you have been missing you pray it does well! Austen's of Rochester is a green grocers selling directly from the local farms. I have never been dissatisfied and they continue to expand their lines. Also I'm happy to say I'm far from the only person that feels this way, the shop is a big success in our little town.

The artisan breads are incredible. The locally produced cheeses are great too (I had them when I was a vegetarian).
I have a very fussy vegetarian French boyfriend who was really shocked at how good the cheese is here and he is really fussy about his fromage.

Also the locally produced eggs are great and there are photos to see how the chickens (living in the Kent woodlands) are treated (the shop owners met all the farmers they work with to check conditions of the animals). When I was a vegetarian this was the only place I would buy eggs.

The fruit and veg are all locally sourced from surrounding farms, many of the produce is organic, the fruit juices are natural and also produced locally. They have started selling some great oils, tinned organic beans, chickpeas and jars of local honey and pesto etc as well.

The staff are really friendly and helpful. As its a small business the owners of the shop work here too and I think that really makes the difference as they are passionate about the quality of food they sell.

For busy people that can't pop down to the shop, you can buy a fresh fruit and veg box that Austen's will deliver to your door. You can order this online or in the shop.

Basically I can't recommend it enough and the prices aren't and either!

Pros: Fresh from the farm on the high street, Amazing staff, Amazing quality fruit and veg

Cons: The artisan bread sells out fast

Return to Rochester Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Austens of Rochester closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.