First Review by ampallang

Nice restaurant - Edit

We order some rice and a soup, both were really spicy but sooooo tasty.

A must visit - Edit

Every time I visit Wellington I go here and they never disappoint.
The menu is extensive bit sticks to what they know: tasty Malay food.

Pros: vegan

Cons: I don't live nearby

yummy & affordable - Edit

went here twice and the food was great. the soups, entrees and we had the lamb curry and chicken chow mee i think it was called. tasty mock meats! although the mock fish didnt taste anything like fish

Sweet - Edit

Bon asiatique restaurant totalement vegan. Très bon. Je ne dirais pas non plus que c'est incroyablement bon. Mais ca va. Les sauces sont bonnes mais il manque quand meme un petit quelque chose.
L'ambiance est plutôt tranquille. Les serveurs très aimable aussi.

Pros: friendly staff

Cons: none

Spectacular - Edit

Vibrant Chinese/Malaysian restaurant. We started with amazing vegan drumsticks as entrees, followed by a wholesome chicken laksa and a filling Nasi Goreng (which was honestly more like a special fried rice, but still delicious). Well priced. The waiters were adorable.

the hype is true! - Edit

I've read great reviews about this place in every vegan group I'm joined in. Aunty Mena lived up to my expectation and more!

just ok - Edit

I had great expectations about this place, but I was disappointed. Staff not particularly friendly, the place itself not very well maintained. Food was ok, but nothing remarkable. I had better vegan food in non-vegan (only vegan-friendly) restaurants in New Zealand.

I wish Mena was my aunty! - Edit

I really enjoyed my laksa at this restaurant. Tofu, fried veggie balls, veggies in a coconut soup. Tasty and filling. Will go back next time I am in Wellington.

Mmmm Yummm - Edit

Have been meaning to try out this place for a while now, Had the Roti canai which was delicious and reminded me of my travels through Malaysia. Definitely will be back next time I'm in Wellington!

Pros: Delicious Food , Good prices

Truly Delicious - Edit

Had been hearing so many good things i decided i better check it out myself.. And i wasn't disappointed! Desperately craving something substantial in my stomach before an exam i headed down to Aunty Mena's and ordered the curry. So glad i did!

Will definitely be heading back.

Updated from previous review on 2016-11-03

Pros: Delicious food, Good value

Disappointed - Edit

I was excited to try this place, which is one of only a couple of entirely vegan restaurants in Wellington and has had lots of excellent reviews here. We shared two starters (satay and a soup) and two mains (a tofu dish and a laksa). I enjoyed the satay but everything else was rather bland and flavourless. It felt as if the chefs simply removed the meat and fish from traditional Chinese and Malaysian recipes, without putting much thought into how to make them 'work' as vegan dishes.

I also wasn't a fan of the atmosphere. It is a nice spot for people-watching but we sat right next to the fridge, which the servers accessed frequently during our meal.

Pros: Large menu

Cons: Food lacks flavour, Busy atmosphere

WOW - Edit

The vegan fish curry was beyond magic!

Food amazing, service variable - Edit

I've been to Aunty Mena's quite a few times since it is just down the road from me. The food is great and good value, and it's a great vibe, but sometimes my meals have been entirely forgotten, causing service to be unnecessarily slow. But still love this place

There's more than Laksa! - Edit

I must admit that i stuck the the laksa the first 3 visits I had as it was extremely tasty..
It seems very popular, but I can also now vouch for the curry noodles, and definitely the roti dish with potato/tofu curry.
So 2 more recommendations if you're worried about trying something new thinking it won't beat the laksa!

Pros: full of flavour, plenty of options, meat eaters love this place too

Yummy Laksa! - Edit

Laksa is divine, especially the veggie balls in it. My partner took fried rice, which was okay, but there was frozen veggies in it, which made it little bland.

Good Asian food, lovely staff - Edit

Lovely very friendly staff! Good food, everything is vegan. Good options too.

Pros: friendly staff

Contributions +191

Simple, respectable Asian fare - Edit

I was in Wellington in December last year and ate here three times, so can give a good 'averaged' rating.

There's no pretence as to appearances - just the basics. The food is similar, prepared in the small open kitchen to the front left of the restaurant (if you're looking out onto Cuba St).

As such, its focus is on providing inexpensive, freshly prepared food, which it does a good job of. I didn't find it that inspiring, but it was decent, low priced food. Oh, and it's the only vegan place in town, which is in its favour.

The first time i visited i had Nasi Goreng, which was ok, but nothing to write home about - it had a slightly off centre taste.

I switched to Nasi Campur next time, which was a step up. At Aunty Mena's this was basically curried vegetables and i think tofu slices served with steamed rice and some cashews. Sounds simple, but i enjoyed it and it was filling.

The place can be busy at times, other times quieter. One time they were hard up for space and i was asked to share a table with some other people. If you're into people watching, this is a good place to do it when it's busy, providing you have an appropriate position.

Updated from previous review on Tuesday January 19, 2016

Pros: vegan, reasonably priced, can people watch when busy

Good value - Edit

Really good value for money and huge variety of vegan dishes on the menu.
The staff are really nice here and it is one of my favourite places to go out for dinner.

Pros: Value, Large range

Return to Wellington Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Aunty Mena's closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.