August Moon

• Veg-friendly
Contact 504-899-5129

3635 Prytania, New Orleans, Louisiana, USA, 70115

Serves meat, vegan options available. Vietnamese and Chinese food restaurant in Uptown New Orleans. Has a vegetarian section on the menu, and most meat dish can be turned vegetarian with tofu. Mon-Thur lunch specials.

Category: Ovo, Chinese, Delivery, Take-out, Vietnamese, Non-veg

First Review by nolaveggirl

Not as good as I hoped for - Edit

You will find good veg options and ample portions. While everything was good, nothing was quite as good as I hoped it would be.

Pros: Many veg options

Cons: Not as clean as I'd like, Portions too large, Too many fried veg choices

Very Nice Place - Edit

Eating strictly whole food/plantbased is quite challenging in New Orleans. We happened to stay in a hotel on St. Charles Ave and were looking for a place to eat. Just around the corner from the hotel we found August Moon, a non-descript building near a vacant lot. After reading the menu, we didn't bother to look any further and went in.
We loved the fact that August Moon had an entire page dedicated to vegetarian dishes. My lemon grass tofu dish was good and the tofu was pan-seared to perfection. I had expected it to be somewhat greasy, but thankfully it was not. It's too bad the sautéed onions overpowered the lemongrass. The dish also had plenty of vegetables and a heap of rice vermicelli and also came with a serving of brown rice. The vegetarian sauce (requested on the side) was flavorful. The portion was quite generous, and DH had to finish it for me.
DH ordered vegetables curry which had a spicy curry sauce that he said was quite good. He had requested "hot" but found it not to be as hot as he wanted, so he added some hot sauce.
We also ordered fresh spring rolls which were decent, but the peanut sauce made them exceptional.
Service was good, although they brought our check before we had a chance to order dessert, so we didn't order any.

All in all, August Moon was a great find.

Pros: many vegetarian choices, generous portions, good food and good value

Cons: staff was in a hurry to close

Peanut sauce is awesome - Edit

I love this place. I'm vegan and I get the vegetarian spring rolls. They come with a delicious thick peanut dipping sauce. I always get a soup or rice or vermicelli dish with a ton of veggies, tofu and a lot of yummy sauce! If you are going for fried stuff, ask them if they have fried any meats in it before, or if they have changed the oil. It's a really clean and honest place, and the hours are amazing!

Pros: Friendly Staff, Large portions

Very Good Restaurant - Edit

This restaurant is in Uptown and is priced right. I've been several times. The menu is vast like most Asian Restaurants. You really can't go wrong with your order. This restaurant has been there for many years and a favorite of the locals. The atmosphere is ok...just a big open room with quality tables and chairs. Not much privacy if that's your thing. They have a huge take out business as well. The service is always good and the people are friendly.

Pros: Price, Service, Quality Food

Cons: Big Open room is not the best

Yummy Tofu - Edit

I'm a big fan of their fried vegetable rolls. Come during lunch (11-4) and get a good deal-entrees from around $5-$7 and they come with sides. I wish they would allow the egg fried rice to be switched with vegetable fried rice, though. When I went recently, I asked for the General Tsao Chicken to be switched out with tofu-they happily obliged and it was delicious.

Pros: Various Tofu Dishes, Friendly Service, Great lunch specials

Return to New Orleans Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has August Moon closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 4494 times since Jul 2010.