Aubergine Cafe

Contact 0982735487

16 Hang Be St, Hoan Kiem, Hanoi, Vietnam,

Serves meat, vegan options available. Near the tourist area, this place offers a section of vegetable dishes on its menu, all of which are vegan suitable. Staff speak English so you could ask to make a fried rice without egg or shrimp, etc. On two floors with balcony seating above, free Wi-Fi. Open Mon-Sun 9:00am-10:00pm.

Category: Western, Vietnamese, Non-veg

First Review by EveArmstrong

Hit and miss - Edit

Visited this place twice and was more impressed the second time around. Service is friendly and fast but atmosphere feels very touristy, as you would expect in that area. Definitely get the veggie spring rolls, really fresh and tasty. Tried the veggie curry and it was pretty bad, tasted more like a bland mushy stew than a curry. The veggie fried noodles weren't any better either. What was delicious was the grilled eggplant/aubergine. Nice charred flavour and definitely worth trying.

Aubergine Cafe - Edit

As the name says, A Cafe, plenty of westerners (tourist), who were filling their stomachs so not sure they would be frequenting this place again. There main concern was filling that space. I brought a carni friend here. We shared raw spring rolls which they provided the rice paper and the ingredients-slither of aubergine, fine noodles, slithers of pineapples, again sliced fried tofu and some lettuce. So we managed to make three rolls each. 39,000d. I had curried vegetables and bowl of white rice (not sure why I can never get brown rice in many vegetarian places). Ordered a cucumber and tomato salad, which was sliced cucumbers and sliced tomatoes on a plate and was swimming in sugary water dressing. I did ask for a small bowl and poured this 'dressing' into the bowl, half filled with this sugary dressing. I questioned the manager it would have been better to serve any dressing separately and let the customer pour on what he/she needs rather than the salad be swimming in any sort of dressing. My friend had a mango salad and noticed again the salad was swimming in dressing. I had a Tiger beer which was the only thing I couldn't comment on just to say it was ok. The tables had a glass top so noticed under the glass notes left by 'diners' all the notes were dated 2016 and many said the same comment 'absolutely fantastic', Spoke to the manager on leaving about my thoughts, and she said come back again, 'I said, I don't think so. I again wonder why the previous 'Vegan' commenters gave it positive comments. Is it quantity or quality? Maybe it's I have a more discerning taste! Didn't get the Happy Cow sticker.

Pros: friendly staff

Cons: Not enough 'vegan' options

ok - Edit

The food was ok but not amazing. My boyfriend liked his caramelized tofu very much. The pho is with a lot of ginger and no other flavours so I wouldn't recommend that. Prices are reasonable and staff nice

Updated from previous review on 2016-09-18

spring rolls are life - Edit

you have to roll the spring rolls yourself, but act shy and say idk and she'll roll one for ya. she's much better with chopsticks then i. however great flavor and friendly lady who helped me. also the sweet and sour tofu was solid, not heavy flavor but solid, simple like :)

Pros: spring roll

Cheap and lovely food - Edit

Staff were lovely. Food great. Had the morning glory and the grilled aubergine. Both tasty. Nice cozy place. The food was about 60k for a starter and main with rice.

Pros: vegan options , cheap , staff

Good for vegans - Edit

Nice place, cheap, tasty food, friendly and kind staff. They speak a good English, so it's easy to ask about the ingredients of your meal. I had fresh spring rolls with veggies and tofu, I had to roll them and it was fun. I also tried the vegan veggie and tofu noodle soup, the best soup I had in Vietnam (and 100% vegan). I loved it.

Pros: Very good food, Nice English speaking staff, Location

Simple but delicious!... And so helpful. - Edit

Small place, no a/c but lots of fans.
We ate there almost every day because they became our safe option. They were happy to amend dishes to suit our very specific dietary requirements. - no onion or garlic.
I loved the morning glory... I could eat this for every meal and not tire of it.
They also have great "juices"... I think the mango juice is a frozen mango blended up, and the pineapple possibly similar... But everything tastes so fresh and clean.
Enough veggie dishes to provide a variety.

Pros: Good value, Amenable to adjusting dishes, Fresh and yummy

Cons: No a/c, Does serve mostly nonveg dishes.

Tasty Food and Good Value - Edit

This is a nicely decorated restaurant, clean and spacious, with more dining area upstairs. Separate vegetarian/vegan section, but also, you can find other vegetarian options in the menu under noodles and rice dishes and entrees.
We had Deep Fried Eggplant with Sesame, and Tofu with Caramel Chilli and Lemongrass. Both were tasty and quite generous serves, presented with steamed white rice and sauces.
Service was prompt and the staff friendly, with very good English. Price was reasonable, both dishes cost 59,000VND each, Lemon Juice was 30,000VND and large Tiger Beer was 20,000VND.
Overall we were pleased with our dining experience at Aubergine Café and would happily revisit this restaurant.

Pros: Tasty Food, Good Price, Clean Restaurant

Hanoi's Finest! - Edit

I would highly recommend visiting this restaurant if you're a vegan. They have a page full of vegan options and the family speak English and are very well aware what vegan means. The dishes are absolutely delicious! We ordered curried vegetables, tofu with sweet and sour sauce, morning glory with garlic, rice and the top dish that must be ordered: the grilled eggplant. I have added a photo on Happy Cow. Affordable, great portion sizes and a beautiful family! The only downside is it is a meat serving restaurant but their vegan menu is a worth trying! Try the Grilled Eggplant! Try it!

Tasty food - Edit

Well, there aren't any vegan or vegetarian restaurants in this area, so we had to go to Aubergine several times. The food was tasty, the portions were OK, very nice shakes, moderate prices. I just wish there weren't so many meat dishes in the menu.
The server was nice and spoke good English.

Pros: Several vegan options, nice fruit shakes, Nice service, Good prices

Cons: Lots of meat dishes in the menu

Pleasant, easy to find cafe in old quarter - Edit

Not far from Hoan Kiem Lake and easy to find, this is a nice restaurant with an unexpectedly good range of vegetable and tofu dishes. Rather a lot of eggplant dishes, as you'd expect given the name, though we managed to choose a vegan meal entirely eggplant-free as we're not fans!
Good service by staff with very good English in a clean modern restaurant setting.
Good size portions of food, flavourful though not spicy.
Shame they do meat dishes too.

Pros: Easy-to-find!, Tasty, Clean modern setting

Cons: Serves meat

yummy spring rolls - Edit

A cozy place with English speaking staff and a buch of vegan options on the menu. The portions are not particularly big considering the price but all dishes were tasty. I really enjoyed their fresh roll-yourself spring rolls.

Pros: tasty, fresh

Cons: not 100% vegan place, portions could be bigger

Fantastic place - Edit

I like this place alot and have been back many times! They have huge veggie spring rolls which you roll yourself at the table and are big enough as a meal on there own. They also have a whole page of veggie options all of which are vegan. The prices are lower than many of the other places listed in the area.

Pros: good food, fresh food

Return to Hanoi Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Aubergine Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.