First Review by rheb

cheap and good taste...of MSG. - Edit

Two years ago, when I just moved to Chiang Mai, I used to come often to this place as it is only 25 THB for rice with 3 toppings. I came back after about one year and realised that the food, sauces and all condiments are MSG based... I am sorry for the nice lady behind the counter, not her fault, but I am not sure if I could eat there again...

Pros: cheap, filling, nice staff

Cons: MSG, MSG, MSG

Basic Veg Thai Place - Edit

This is a very basic Thai place. The food is ok, but has been mostly cold when I've been there. I think you have to go very early to get hot/warm food. Before 11 am some days most of the food is finished, and what's left is fairly cold. ok if you're in the area, but I wouldn't go out of my way to eat there,

Pros: cheap

Cons: food often cold

Good VEGAN place - Edit

The reviews on here are really confusing and contradictory. The most bizarre of which being someone who didnt even taste the food. First, this place is open on Sunday 9they only seem to close for Bud. holidays0. Their yellow noodles are vegan and they dont use dairy or eggs. The woman owner speaks some english but she only seems to be there in the morning.

For me, this is the most authentic northern style thai food ive seen of any of the similar lunch/breakfast Bud. places in chang mai. They have very good spring rools/fried red rice balls, deep fried mushroom patties for 5 baht. They put out about 6 dishes every day. 30 baht for 2 veggie choices on red rice. They dont use msg unless you are counting naturally occuring msg in soy sauce.

They are located across the blvd. from Chang Mai Gate/market. Theu=y usually have a white table out front with premade items on it, there is a red and yellow banner above and they are next to a english cafe with sign out front called Harolds(or something like that).

Most of the food gets picked over after lunch although they do offer Khao Soi and noodle soup until they close.

Updated from previous review on Saturday February 25, 2012

Pros: Vegan, Inexpensive, Local food

Cons: No salads/raw food, Close early

Nice, clean place with good food - Edit

I finally found this place. It is a little South of Chiang Mai Gate. I think that some people on this thread are confusing it with Tien Sieng in their reviews - which is a little North of Chiang Mai Gate.
It is nice, clean place with decent food and very cheap.
As another poster said, it is VEGAN and it is a vegetarian restaurant - not a health food place - so although it is possible that some of the bottled condiments have MSG, it is easy to just skip them.

Pros: Clean, Nice atmosphere, Good, cheap food

Yet another MSG heaven - Edit

We couldn't bring ourselves to try the food here, after seeing all the condiments they use and knowing that all of them contain MSG. No need to taste it, they all taste the same. The shop was comparably large for a jeh restaurant and felt quite clean, so this is probably a plus, if you're into this kind of thing.

Pros: clean, relatively spacious

Cons: MSG ingredients

Not all Vegan - Edit

The lady who runs this place does not speak English and even if you speak thai she avoids questions about the ingredients in her dishes. Listed as vegan but is not all vegan. Yellow noodles have egg and I have seen carnation in the place in the past. If your looking for truly vegan food, do yourself a favor and go a stones throw down the road to Save Thunya. With all the great Thai vegan places in Chiang Mai, I don't see myself going back here again.

Pros: Clean, Good value

Cons: Deceptive about non-vegan items served.

Good, Simple Food - Edit

First a correction - this place is open 7.30 to 15.30, closed Sundays. So it's a breakfast and lunch place. This info is current as of early August '08, confirmed by the sign at front & speaking to the ladsy owner.

Location is just south of the Chiang Mai gate. It's one of those basic hole in the wall type joints that are common in Asia. There is a menu in English with approx 10 dishes al 20 baht. There is also a Thai menu with more options. Cook is a pleasant Auntie type. Get your own drinks from the fridge.

I had noodles & vege stir fry which was very nice. There was no boiled rice or desert etc available so I wouldn't call this a destination place to eat. Just good for a quck cheap meal.

Pros: fresh, cheap

Cons: limited menu

Good khao soy and veggie curries - Edit

I've been here twice, and enjoyed the food both times. First time, I had the khao soy, which was very rich and tasty, though the portion was a little small, as khao soy portions tend to be. Second time, I had a bamboo shoot curry and a mushroom stir-fry, both of which were really good. Prices are great-- 20B for two curries, same for khao soy. Would definitely go back. FYI, the name is spelled "Aubaon" on the sign, but it's the right place!

Pros: good food, inexpensive

Return to Chiang Mai Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Aubaon Vegetarian Food closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3159 times since Aug 2007.