Au Lac - Fountain Valley

714-418-0658

16563 Brookhurst St, Fountain Valley, California, USA, 92708

Vegan restaurant operating since 1997; has a 2nd location in downtown LA. Offers self-described humanese cuisine - comprising of Vietnamese and Chinese vegan cuisine with a variety of mock meats and brown rice available, as well as a separate raw food menu. Extensive beverages, teas, elixirs and shots menu. Parking lot on-site. Open Tue-Sun 11:30am-3:30pm, Tue-Sun 5:30pm-9:30pm.

Category: Vegan, American, Chinese, Raw, Juice bar, Take-out, Vietnamese

First Review by think4leafclover

delicious! - Edit

Although I prefer the ambiance in DTLA, this is a must!

Yum! - Edit

First time here. We were 4 long time raw foodies in town for a conference. The staff were attentive but not overly so. The food was fabulous! My first time to have sprouted rice and it was delicious.

The value was okay - portions could have been a little bigger for the entrees. The presentation was gorgeous and I appreciated that even though a few of us ordered the same desert, the chef took time to make them look unique. Clearly the chef is an artist.

I look forward to going back!

Pros: Taste, Presentation

Cons: Portions could be bigger

Amazing - Edit

I was hesitant to try this place. In my experience, vegan asian food can be very hit or miss. However, this place far exceeded my expectations.

We went on Christmas Eve about an hour before they were closing and they weren't rushing us at all which was great. We were worried that they would try to rush us out but the restaurant was packed and their service seemed as normal.

We started with the Egg Rolls which were great. My parents are omnivores and said these can definitely compete with regular eggrolls.

My dad got the Wonton Soup which he loved. He also said this could compete with regular wonton soup. He got a salad that I can't remember the exact name of, I think it was maybe Mei Salad? It had avocado in it that's all I know. Whatever it was, he said it was absolutely amazing. Who knew a salad could be so spectacular? He's been raving about it for days.

My mom got the Kung Pao Chicken. She was nervous at first because she eats regular Kung Pao chicken all the time and didn't think that a mock meat version would be good. She was wrong. She said it was amazing.

I, the only actual vegan of the group, hate mock meats. I never liked the taste of meat so I hate when restaurants base all of their meals off of mock meats, which is often the case in many vegan asian restaurants. While a lot of the options here do involve mock meats, there are also a lot of tofu options as well. I got the Glass Noodle Stirfry with tofu. It was really good. The flavor, the texture, everything was great.

I highly recommend this place if you're looking for a more elegant vegan restaurant to eat at that won't break the bank. The portion sizes were great, the food was great, the prices were great, the service was great, the atmosphere was great; it was all great.

Pros: Large portions, Excellent food, Nice vibe

amazing!! fresh and delicious - Edit

Slower service because it's a relaxed, authentic environment. But the food is absolutely delicious, and you can taste the quality. So healthy and flavorful. Dinner entrees are more expensive but the lunch and soup portions are the right price point.

Pleasant dining - Edit

Vegan fine dining is still a rarity, and this place has been doing it for years. The selection of foods is great and staff is very friendly.

Try Au Lac - Edit

Great elixirs, fresh ingredients. Great to take out of town friends, or a romantic meal.

Pros: All Vegan, fresh and lovely

Cons: none

Love the Soup! - Edit

We frequent Au Lac on the regular since it is close to our house and these are some things you MUST TRY:

Beef Steak (Died and went to heaven)
Wonton Soup
Kung Pao
Cabbage & Chicken Salad

Steer clear of!:
Sweet and Sour Soup
Beef Watercress (PLEASE DO NOT TRY)
Eggplant Hot Pot
Glass Noodle Stirfry
Grilled Seafood Noodles

Trust me!

Pros: Soup

Cons: VERY SLOW SERVICE, Pricey, Not at all spicy

The Best Beef Pho Ever! - Edit

Rae food can pass on. .I've tried it...the raw desrts are excellent tho.

Pros: Atmosphere, Pho, Price

Cons: Raw Food

Amazing!!! - Edit

My omnivore and Vietnamese friend recommended this place to me because they have such authentic Vietnamese food that just so happens to be vegan. I can't wait to go back. Amazing menu, everything we ordered was fantastic. Great atmosphere. I can't recommend this place enough :-)

Pros: Amazing food, High quality , Cozy atmosphere

Cons: Nondescript building

Heaven on Earth! - Edit

This place is completely amazing and a whole other level in Vegan and Raw food! I had heard of this place for yrs, and even though I have recently moved down from Pacific Northwest to Ventura- Ojai area (an hour plus north of LA), I made the drive (few times now) Very worth it. Really not overly expensive.

I don't think my words can do justice but let me say:
Chef Ito, Reverse Osmosis water, Professional vibe from all the workers, All Vegan. All Organic, EXCEPTIONAL FOOD!!

Pros: Extraordinary food , Soft lighting and plesant atmosphere , All Vegan. And an exceptional raw menu

Cons: Too far from my house!!!!

Great food - Edit

This was great vegan Vietnamese food - we stayed away from the raw selections. We had BBQ Pork Rolls, Royal Noodle Soup and Kung Pau with tofu, all great. We tried the donut holes and did not care for them much.

Raw Food Is Better - Edit

Half the menu here is raw food. Their raw food was spectacular. I was literally mind blown by how delish their Humanese soup was. I also had their curried rice which did not match up to the soup in my opinion. I had their Hawaiian blend juice, that was one of the best mixed juices I have ever had. The service was great they were really busy and I still had my first plate within 15 minutes. I would recommend this place for the soup and juice alone, but the restaurant itself is an experience it is bustling with people, I would recommend people to stop by at least once. I do think they use too much avocado in their dishes. Oh yeah and their donut holes were really good too.
Updated from previous review on Tuesday May 27, 2014

Pros: Mind Blowing Soup, Beautiful Presentation , Service/ Friendly Staff

Cons: Expensive, Secluded Almost Hard To Find, A Lot Of Avocado

Creative, beautiful and healthful food - Edit

Au Lac is special, especially if you are a raw foodie. The raw dishes here transcend description and not the usual raw burger or rawsagna served at other few food restaurants. It also offers a nice faux cook meat menu with typical tasty dishes from Vietnam and China. The atmosphere is lovely and the presentation is beautiful. It is nice to be able to go to a raw vegan restaurant where I can bring business associations and new friends that has a more upscale vibe. It is a unique experience.

Pros: Amazing Raw Food, To Die for Raw Desserts, Artistic Presentation

Cons: Busy

My Favorite Restaurant - Edit

Best tasting healthy food!!!!!
My favorite place to eat!!!!
Friendly helpful staff.

My favorite in the US - Edit

I live in Florida and every time I go out west I make sure to stop by Au Lac for the Paella! The menu is amazing, OMG the raw soups are awesome!
This is one the best Raw Vegan restaurants in the country for sure!!

love their raw menu - Edit

Au Lac is a little gem in OC. It's tucked away in a little unassuming shopping center in ftn valley and the food is amazing! I've tried their cooked options, but their raw menu trumps it. The ambiance is romantic and quiet. Dimly lit booths make a great mood for a date :)
My favorite raw meals-
Tostada
Curried rice
Ahn Fries Rice

Pros: amazing food, cozy, romantic

Cons: expensive , food never comes out at same time.

Tons of options - Edit

Great food. We went there in a large group and shared all the dishes. They were all great, except maybe the sweet and sour, but I am not keen on sweet and sour, so it's probably why I didn't love it.
It's hard to pick because there are so many options!
Located in an asian part of town, a little hard to find since it's in a strip mall.

Going to OC, Forget DisneyLand, Go to Aulac - Edit

I can't stress this enough:

ASK FOR ITO. IF you do this it will change yoru experience.

Crazy Variety, Best Service. Most Awesome Chef of any restaurant on the planet. It's more than amazing food, it's an experience.

You will meet people, try things, get given things free even, learn things and feeel the energy of a place as though you were in an ashram.

I really can't put the expereince into words. Sounds silly, but this is the best envorioment of any restaurant out there and I can only pray that other owners check this place out and try to mimic it. It would change the dining out experience.

"This restaurant is a different place if Ito is not there at that time."

Love you Ito, keep it real and keep it coming you silent ninja you!

Pros: Ito, Ambiance, Food

Cons: *, *, *

Return to Fountain Valley Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Au Lac - Fountain Valley closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.