Au Lac - DTLA

• Friend
Contact 213-617-2533

710 W 1st St (at dowtown LA), Los Angeles, California, USA, 90012

From the long established Au Lac in Fountain Valley springs its 2nd and more upscale location in downtown Los Angeles. Opened 2014 across the street from Disney Concert Hall. Features a menu of both raw cuisine as well cooked vegan dishes. Full bar and upscale lounge atmosphere at moderate prices. Parking lot entrance is around the back of the plaza, or park on street. Open Mon-Thu 12:00pm-10:00pm, Fri-Sun 12:00pm-11:00pm.

Category: Vegan, American, Raw, Juice bar, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Fusion

First Review by Chia

Delicious raw food - Edit

The food and the environment are definitely five stars. I loved the pasta with garlic and the curry rice. Both raw and cooked dishes are excellent. Service, however, has some room for improvement. Our servers were incredibly nice and made everything possible to provide good service, but they were overburden by the number of people eating there on a Friday night. The manager should definitely consider hiring one extra person on Fridays before the shows next door start.

awesome food- mediocre service - Edit

Amazing food! But, there was a band playing the night we went and the music was painfully loud. Plus, there was a second band playing in the attached bar and we were seated in the worst possible spot where we could hear both bands clashing. They brought us our food and we had no cutlery - I had to ask three times and eventually stand up and practically walk into the kitchen to get some. They never gave us the bill, again, we had to stand up and almost walk out to figure out how to pay. They did realize the mistakes and gave us a discount on the bill, though, and the food was really, really good!

Great Dinner - Edit

The "octopus" dish was wonderful, and the eggrolls too (try wrapping them in lettuce for extra yum). Soup and salad were good. We will not have Tirawmisu again but we will definitely return. Location is great - next to Music Center - and they are open late enough to enjoy dinner after concert!

Pros: Good food, Good service

great food, awkward service - Edit

This place has great decor, ambience and the food is amazing. I loved the lemongrass "fish". I'm docking a star because the service is not what it should be for this price. Tables were left dirty although they were not busy. Our server and host were very friendly, but seemed unexperienced.

everything is delicious - Edit

I was looking for a vegan spot within walking distance when I had to serve for jury duty in downtown LA and this place was the closest. Everything is so fresh and delicious and I love that this place was created because the owner healed herself with a plant based diet. I'll definitely be back!

The Most Exceptional Food on the Planet! - Edit

I LOVE AU LAC! Top Notch Vegan food! Been here multiple times and it is always delicious! Chef Ito is so special and a good friend. As you may know, Vow of Silence for many YEARS now. He spends his energy perfecting food I suppose. Try the Ito Burrito. There is tons of raw choices ad well as cooked vegan. But this isnt your typical "raw" food. It is unbelivable and unique and so incredibly flavorful. Ambiance is so cool and some nights there is a show or music in entertainment room. Au Lac is an extraordinary place with exceptional food!

Pros: Raw and cooked vegan choices, Extraordinary taste, Organic, Gluten Free

A feast for the palate and senses - Edit

Amazing delicious food and ambiance. My husband and I tried several dishes and all were outstanding. Service is friendly, a little on the slow side even that it was around 1:30 pm on a Sunday, and there were only about 8 people at the restaurant. We assume everything is so freshly made that might take a little longer.
They have raw dishes and a few warm ones as well. They also have some interesting kambucha drinks.
The restaurant is modern, contemporary decor, clean. Great place to take family and friends for a charming celebration, and very close to the Disney Hall. Also below the restaurant there is a $1 parking with validation for 2 hrs, which is priceless considering is downtown LA.
We are heading there again to eat the warm garlic noodles and the rainbow torte that were so delicious! We were there only 3 days ago and cannot wait to get those dishes again!

Updated from previous review on Monday July 13, 2015

Pros: Healthy and fancy delicious food , Great ambiance , Parking

Cons: A little slow on food serving

excellent option downtown - Edit

We were looking for an option downtown, near the music center and we're excited to see the location just across the street, so convenient! The restaurant is really pretty, a little on the upscale side, which was fine as we were dressed for the theater. My husband was a little worried that portions would be small as they can be at more fancy places. He was very happy and satisfied with the portions. The menu is very diverse and all sounded very yummy. We had the tempeh as an app to share, which was huge and very tasty. I had the garlic noodles and hubby had the tostada, we were happy with both choices, the tostada is really tasty and I would recommend it over the noodles, we had the tirawmisu for dessert, it was good as well. The waitress was very friendly and knowledgeable, however the hostess seemed a little clueless, she may have been new. All in all, I do recommend Au Lac.

My dear friend took me to this special restaurant for my birthday. The food, the ambience, the service, and especially Chef Ito, made my birthday celebration so memorable.
The Crimini Pesto mushrooms, the Chinoise Chicken Salad, flax crackers with nut cheese were all outstanding.
Thank you, Chef Ito, for the detail and deliciousness you put into each dish.

nice new location - Edit

We stopped in for lunch and actually ran into some other friends who were already there. They were finishing their meals and were quite pleased with them. We were excited to check out the menu. The inside space is much nicer than I anticipated. Considering it's near the financial district, I would be very comfortable bringing non-vegans for a business lunch. Also, it's across the street from the Disney Concert Hall, so great for a nice pre-show dinner too.

We ordered the stuffed mushrooms as an appetizer and the pho and sweet & spicy tempeh as entrees. Dirk loves mushrooms and pho, so he was quite pleased. My tempeh was lovely with potatoes, Brussels sprouts and tempeh served on puffy crackers. Just beware of eating of any of the peppers as they are very hot. We got the tiramisu for dessert. Slightly different from the original, but tasty nonetheless. The service was nice and friendly. We look forward to returning.

Pros: upscale vegan, variety of dishes

Great Vegan Restaurant. - Edit

I was blown away at how great this restaurant was. Every dish we ordered was delicious and a work of culinary art. This chef is extraordinary talented. The decor was classy and the ambiance warm and inviting. The staff was attentive and friendly. We go to Redcat and the Music Center frequently and it has always been frustrating that there were so few vegan choices downtown for dinner (while we love both of them, we were getting tired of always going to either Shojin or having the veggie pho at Blossom). The wait was worth it. This restaurant is directly across the street from the Music Center.

now in DTLA - Edit

I've been raw for 13 yrs. get this - I've also performed burlesque in the theatre at this location in Tease If You Please for a year and a half. I also consider Au Lac Fountain Valley the best raw restaurant in the nation. Imagine my elation when Au Lac moved into this space at First and Hope! Yes it's the same amazing food with a slightly more exclusive menu and slightly smaller proportions. And the location assures that this food is going in the mouths of more than the educative vegan population but now hipster downtowners and cutting edge fine diners. AND you can see a fellow long-term raw vegan perform burlesque in the adjacent theatre too;-) try the balaclava - best raw dessert I've ever had aromatic of passion fruit and infused flower flavor.

Modern Vietam Cuissine - Edit

Our first stop in LA was at Au Lac. Easy to find down town LA. Beautiful restaurant and very friendly staff. Good welcome!
The food was very pure and tasty. Dessert (tiramisu) was great.

Pros: down town LA, great food, great waitres

Cons: none

Great Addition to Downtown LA - Edit

I had read about this place on HappyCow and stopped in for lunch on a sunny December day. Am told that it's still in its soft opening phase.

The interior is very impressive - upscale, lounge like with a separate area for bar and a grand piano. Suitable for a late night drink with live piano. Or a place to impress a date.

The main dining room is deep and features booth seating, which is where my friends and I sat. Together we ordered several dishes to share from its concise menu of raw foods + a few cooked ones. Our server told us that the menu will expand gradually after the new year.

Overall I commend the chef and kitchen for creating a ambitious and interesting menu and making most items in-house. The prices are very reasonable for such a posh place. Yes, it feels fancy.

Dishes I liked are the Chinoise salad, Vietnamese pho soup, Ito burrito (raw), and house-made gelato (raw).

Would like to return in a few months once the menu expands and they get their groove on.

Return to Los Angeles Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Au Lac - DTLA closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 5243 times since Dec 2014.