American
Delivery
Take-out
Fusion
Vietnamese

From the long established Au Lac in Fountain Valley springs its 2nd and more upscale location in downtown Los Angeles. Opened 2014 across the street from Disney Concert Hall. Features a menu of both raw cuisine as well cooked vegan dishes. Full bar and upscale lounge atmosphere at moderate prices. Parking lot entrance is around the back of the plaza, or park on street. Open Tue-Sun 12:00pm-3:00pm, 5:00pm-9:00pm.

Venue map for Au Lac - DTLA
© OpenStreetMap contributors

First Review by Chia

TaraFox

Points +94

04 Feb 2024

Extraordinary

This was my first visit dining with Au Lac. We ordered the Salt & Pepper Shrimp, Lemongrass Fish and Big Thunnini Roll. Plentiful and beautifully curated menu items are works of divine art. The Lemongrass Fish is perfection. I look forward to experience more of Au Lac’s whimsical, extraordinary and magical cuisine.

Pros: Nice atmosphere, Great service, Beautiful decor

Eidolon

Points +345

09 Jan 2024

Huge Fan of the Pasta

I never got to visit in person, but I loved getting take out and their pasta/ravioli was amazing. The sauce was just phenomenal. #Veganuary

Pros: Take out/delivery, Amazing pasta

FatmaBahri

Points +176

30 Dec 2023

Welcoming Atmosphere & Great food

Noodles and cream cheese were excellent!

Staff is very professional and gentle.

divyaj

Points +514

13 Dec 2023

Beautiful dining experience

The seating was intimate, with tall potted plants on the seats beside you to afford some privacy for each table. We went during the happy hour and got to sample their half-priced drinks and appetizers. The Ruby Juice was perfect, but the mushroom elixir was terrible with an unusual sweetness that didn't blend into the slight bitterness.

The Calamari was superb, probably battered fried oyster mushroom rings. It came with a delicious sauce, tasted like tomato chutney. We also had the ravioli, which came with some delicious garlic bread. The filling in the ravioli itself was bland, the sauce a little smoky but incredibly creamy. The Bahn-Mi was delicious and came with a nice small salad. Also really enjoyed the baklava, which had none of the usual flaky pastry layer, was more a cluster of delicious nuts and dried fruits drizzled with maple syrup.

RainaAide

Points +48

02 Nov 2023

Great Date Night

This is one of the only “fancy” vegan restaurants I’ve been able to find that makes for a great fancy date night! The atmosphere was very nice. The food was more expensive than what I’m used to - but worth it. We got the basil garlic noodles and the ravioli - both were amazing. It was nice that they have lots of unique and raw options too.

Pros: Fancy atmosphere, Delicious food, Unique menu items

awwatt

Points +33

23 Oct 2023

Top notch!

Amazing food, thank you!
I wish I could try the entire menu. Au Lac is a must!

PureVeganStarSevadar

Points +265

15 Sep 2023

ALL Vegan! very nice. related to Vegan March of Silence and it's Local events.

ALL Vegan! very nice. related to Vegan March of Silence and it's Local events. before year 2020 had hosted free vegan thanksgiving potluck social event, and open stage social events for vegans in their back room, multi-purpose room. chef ito is amazing with his spiritually strong vow of silence; he can understand us and we can understand him. Supported Vegan Edu Leafleting efforts.

Updated from previous review on 2023-09-15

Pros: ALL Vegan very nice related2Vegan March of Silence, had hosted free vegan thanksgiving potluck social , MultiPurpose room open stage Vegan social events

Clarissa1dc

Points +141

03 Aug 2023

Yum- surprisingly large portions too

Got soup and raw burrito- fantastic

hakunapatata

Points +279

03 Aug 2023

Lovely looking place, would like to try other dishes

I went there looking for brunch but they were out. I ordered the calamari instead and found it a bit oily. I’d like to find other things from the menu because it seems they might have some good stuff.

road2cairo

Points +66

19 Jul 2023

Au Lac DTLA

Raw vegan & organic-delicious with beautiful presentation but kind of on the expensive side for what you get. Nearby parking is expensive too-$4 for 30 minutes, cash only (no free pickup, and there is an attendant on site).

melarish

Points +681

Vegetarian
02 Jul 2023

Best place in downtown!

Went twice during my 2 days in LA. Several unique food options like veggie pork shu mai and a mushroom based "octopus". Lunch combo for $15. Fancy desserts and obscure herbal drinks. This place has everything! 😍

AndyRurals

Points +329

18 Jun 2023

Amazing food!

The food is unique!! I loved every dish, and the service was amazing!

Pros: Great dishes , Nice venue , Good service

andyjng

Points +4389

04 Jun 2023

Wow wow wow, Amazing Viet!

Wow, hands down one of the best deals in Downtown LA and for some amazing Viet food that happens to be vegan (so everyone can have something delicious!) Loved every minute of our experience here at Au Lac.

The ambiance was modern, sophisticated, and gave off that fancy DTLA vibe. It definitely works for a date night or get-together with old friends like I did.

We shared a couple of standout dishes with my group: Beef Rolls were a great starter, diced into small sushi-esuqe pieces with a lovely peanut dipping sauce, Calamari was well-seasoned and lightly battered to give off those seafood vibes, Claypot Fish was smoky, tangy, and sweet which went well with the forbidden rice we ordered, and their Garlic Noodles were also fire. Every dish was presented nicely and it was a delicious meal for all of us.

We can't end without dessert though! Our table ordered their Chocolate Cake (sooo fluffy and decadent) and their Mango Durian Sticky Rice, which was my personal fave. If you have friends that have never tried durian, this is a good spot to give it a go.

Thanks Au Lac for an incredible dinner. Amazing food, fantastic service, and very accommodating overall. I will definitely be back to try more dishes.

Parking is available either through street parking or a dedicated lot beneath the plaza for $10.

Pros: Excellent Vietnamese vegan options, Wonderful indoor ambiance

happyfeetadan

Points +261

23 May 2023

Delicious Plant-based dining

The experience was set to please from the refreshing rosemary lemon cucumber infused-water to the many choices on the menu. I got the lemongrass soy fish dish which was a delicious bento box style meal and my friend got the ravioli with garlic bread which was savory even from my taste test. We finished out with the chocolate dessert which was perfect to share with a friend with its 4 bite sized pieces. A little on the pricer end but This place is worth the visit!

CharltonFranklin

Points +86

16 Feb 2023

Best Plant Based Sit Down Restaurant

I took 4 other co-workers there and I was the only vegan.

Appetizers: I loved the shrimp appetizer and a shrimp lover said, "If you didn't tell me this was plant based, I would've thought it was good shrimp." The fried egg rolls were better than most egg rolls I've had.

Entree: I had the "octopus" with mushroom. Mushroom was much easier to eat because in my past I've tried real octopus and it required a lot of jaw strength, so this was more enjoyable. The flavor was great, unique, savory and sweet. I was surprised it was sweet, however. Everyone I went though their meal was good and there was enough for leftovers for 3 of 5 of us.

Atmosphere: The entrance seems casual, then you pass a bar and the back is mildly elegant like a sit down restaurant. I think the front should be more elegant because it was my first impression and a disappointing one. I thought the design in three back was great. It was also strange to have an unattended counter blocking going to the left of the restaurant. The host doesn't stand there, rather the bar tender sat us down. It was confusing and poor design at the entrance.

Service: The people there were perfectly helpful and did their job well. I wouldn't say they were joyful and stood out, but they also did nothing wrong.

Overall: I was extremely pleased. By comparison their food is priced well ave the flavor and quantity was extremely satisfying. I would definitely recommend this place.

Pros: Unique vegan options, Pleasant sit down atmosphere, Great pricing relative to Vegan + LA

Cons: Restaurant layout is strange and unaesthetic

ilikevegg

Points +341

15 Jan 2023

Pretty yummy but weird vibe

Yum food but the atmosphere feels a bit dated.

514_8123

Points +40

22 Dec 2022

THE best vegan place in LA

The food here is SO special! The chef has kept a vow for silencio for over 20 years. This is HOLY DELICIOUS FOOD

Pros: Amazing food, Creative cuisine, Super friendly staff

hausofmarsian

Points +34

03 Dec 2022

Vegan option near LA theatres

Raw options, can be slow, expensive

ronitw

Points +675

02 Dec 2022

Great Dinner, 2nd Visit!

Had dinner with carnivore friends yesterday and everyone was happy. The Laab salad impressed us all, as well as the Spicy Calamari. Eggrolls were great! I didn't care much for the Big Thunnini Roll but the rest of the party were really excited. We loved the Siu Mai. The Choconut X-tasy was a super delightful end of a great dinner. The place was full, the service was friendly and efficient. Highly recommended! We parked at the Music Center.

Updated from previous review on 2016-01-29

Pros: Great food, Great service

yung_batsy

Points +70

03 Nov 2022

I absolutely love it,

If you haven’t been here yet you’re missing out. The environment of this establishment is so beautiful and the energy is very peaceful and welcoming!
Today was our second time coming in and my husband and I chose two different lunch specials (so we could share) and they were the #2 garlic noodles with egg rolls and the #4 chicken skewer sate. Amazing!!
The first time we came in, we had dinner here, we had the olive cheese dip starter, I had the yellow noodle soup, and my husband had the lemongrass fish rice plate. Everything was phenomenal!

Pros: Lots of drink options , Lunch special!! (Brunch 12-3), So many all vegan choices!!

Cons: The server can be strange/unavailable

SarahS88

Points +1750

20 Oct 2022

Loved our food and this place

One of our favs - we tried the ravioli and the #4 lunch combo. Delicious good, lovely environment and wonderful staff! Would come back again anytime!

Also very reasonably priced!

Updated from previous review on 2022-10-20

The.EagerVegan

Points +62

16 Aug 2022

Refreshing spin on familiar dishes

Came here for some quick apps before a nearby show, and was sat promptly with understanding of urgency. The waitress was very friendly, and offered some suggestions on quick items.
Ordered the spring rolls, mushrooms with pesto, & the cheese dip w/ crackers. The spring rolls were pretty standard (came with 4 small size rolls), fresh lettuce which we rolled over the rolls, and a refreshingly light sweet sauce. The mushrooms were delish, with a light and fragrant pesto sauce, but a rather small portion. The cheese dip was well made, decent size, and the house made crackers were superb!
Cucumber mint water is standard for the table, as well as some yummy garlic “shrimp chips.”
Would be interested in coming by for the entree, however the value for price might be a decider with how often I’d eat there.

Pros: Unique flavors, Nice ambiance , Good quality

Cons: Smaller portions, Pricey

TaminaN

Points +2854

15 Aug 2022

Cute place with authentic flavours!

Very friendly staff and the food was super tasty. Would recommend the pear kombucha as well. And oh - no alcohol served in this place.

Pros: Authentic flavours , Friendly staff , Large menu

MartaBliemeister

Points +38

21 Jul 2022

Great delicious vegan food

I was very happy with all the food I had here. Also my non vegan family enjoyed its lot. Will definitely recommend it. I’m not sure about the authenticity tho since it’s only isnspired by Vietnamese food and the owner isn’t.

OMADman

Points +921

11 Jul 2022

Legendary SoCal vegan highlight

Just great. Lots of creative living food vegan selections. Masters of healthful taste. Prices are reasonable. Portions are huge. Staff is great. Perfect experience in every way. Just go there!

Updated from previous review on 2022-07-11

peachenthusiast

Points +136

13 Apr 2022

If you have the $$…

Beautiful presentation and good food overall, though they seem to be having staffing issues at the moment. My omni friend (who frequently eats vegan) was VERY impressed with the chicken skewers!! The living curry rice was also good, but I would probably opt to try the rest of the menu next time.

Pros: Creative menu

vegan_mouse

Points +1272

13 Apr 2022

Tasty

I was very pleased to find this place which is in walking distance to Grand Park. Whether you want something raw and fresh, cooked and comforting, gluten free, pho, dessert... There are a lot of great options!
I ordered the peanut tempeh sigbature dish (forgot what it's called). They were out of tempeh, so I had it with tofu instead. It was delicious and sweet! My boyfriend had pho, which was possibly even more flavorful!
Our server was super kind and helpful.

Pros: Gluten free options