Atman Kafe

• ( 27 reviews )

Jalan Hanoman 38, Ubud, Bali, Indonesia

Serves meat, vegan options available. Offers plenty of vegan and gluten-free items. Open Mon-Sun 11:00am-10:00pm.

Categories: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Pizza, International, Organic, Raw, Beer/Wine, Delivery, Mexican, Asian, European, Non-veg

First Review by JenMac78

agulden

Points +917

26 Jun 2021

great jackfruit dish

Atman Kafe is located on Hanoman Street and is always busy. The décor is very earthy and their food is incredible. The name Atman means the innermost essence of each individual to the Supreme Universal Self. In Layman terms, the little voice or knowing within your heart that guides you and if you follow its wisdom it will guide you far better than your mind ever will.

I must admit, here at Atman Kafe, I have had the most interesting dish of my life here. The one with jackfruit. It's called Jukut Nangka (pronounced joo-koot Nung-kaa). It's a local dish which is slow cooked young jackfruit with local spices and beans, served with red and white rice. Still looking for the recipe.

BarbaraG.Baz

Points +1465

26 Jul 2020

great vegan options

Great vegan options, our first restaurant in Ubud, healthy, affordable and friendly staff

AnaAlvessil

Points +576

22 Feb 2020

Esperaba mas

El lugar es bonito, pero por el precio yo esperaba cosas mas ricas.

FurryFury

Points +177

28 Dec 2019

Get the vegan salted caramel mylkshake!

Wow, what a treat... I've had a lot of mylkshakes and the salted caramel with coconut mylk is right up there with the best. So creamy, so tasty. I had the tempeh scrambles on sourdough which was great and my partner really enjoyed the vegan pizza. The atmosphere is nice and the staff are friendly. We'll be back during our stay if only to get as many of the mylkshakes as possible!

Pros: Plenty of vegan options, Amazing mylkshakes, 'Proper' basil in some dishes!

Cons: Serves non-vegan dishes

lemmythetraveller

Points +13

18 Nov 2019

Coffee was terrible - clearly this place is under new management

Very disappointing. In 2018 they had the best coffee, and the coconut milk made it even better. Now a year later and 1 in 3 cups of coffee are bad. I ordered a cappuccino with ordinary milk and got a weak watered down over heated liquid. They even sprinkled chocolate on top and I did not even ask for that. The drink was so weak there was no coffee or milk foam sticking to the cup. Clearly this is a training issue or broken machine or both. I don’t understand why the standard has slipped here. They used to have a nice temper scramble for breakfast but without a good coffee it’s not complete. Also they give you a warm water , like they cannot even chill the water. Last time I’ll be back, they can’t make coffee that sticks to the edge, as that’s how you know it served at correct temperature and the foam milk was not over heated.

Pros: Polite staff

Cons: Can't make coffee, Wrong temperature of coffee, Added sprinkled chocolate on top to hide the mess

emzie1983

Points +678

11 Nov 2019

Good all day option

Lots of labelled vegan options, including desserts. Open for all meals, in nice restaurant set up, which includes a good shop
Breakfast really nice....tempe scramble and coconut porridge. Big portions. Scramble had a lot of nice veg in too, and really tasty. Good coffee with different mill options
Evening meals were good, but preferred breakfast. Balinese curry and veg soup with rice. Portions on the small side for the price compared to other places. Good flavour though. Falafel was tasty, very crispy and actually a pretty big size!!
Really nice desserts. Had the Apple strudel cake and choc beetroot, and both were great. Sells vegan ice cream too
Friendly staff
There are 2 or maybe 3 restaurants in Ubud, sane menu and similar feel

Pros: Lots of food options, Variety of choices, Coffee n cake!!

maisiekake

Points +170

26 Sep 2019

Can’t stay away

We’ve been coming back here as a place we know we will find awesome food with lots of variety! We have loved all the items we got here, they make great food!

Pros: Lots of vegan options , HeAlthy food , Cool atmosphere

Cons: Pricey

Guest

07 Aug 2019

Decent

The vegan pizza was nice and they offer a gluten free crust. Everything else was decent as well. I found it a bit overpriced and they just raised the prices recently.

becwallis

Points +298

07 Aug 2019

Average

Food was okay not great, juices weren’t great either but there’s a lovely little view of rice fields in the restaurant. Overall I think a little over priced

JonJos

Points +181

03 Aug 2019

Lots of vegan and vegetarian options

I like this restaurant on Jaan Hannoman. One of the touristic streets. We were heading to KAFE (which I can also highly recommend) but it was closed because of a ceremony-day. Just a few steps further on rhe opposite site of the street we found Atman. A small shop front with a much larger seating area at the back. Even has a view of the rice fields!
Variety of dishes and vegan options. Good and tasty dishes. Even some icecream and cakes. Lovely and very helpful staff.

Pros: vegan options , Friendly staff , Few different vegan milks

Soul2Soul Educare

Points +922

24 Jul 2019

Feels like you're eating in a store - service terrible

If you're looking for cheap food, then this is the place but that's about it. The food portions are very limited. Although they do have many vegan/vegetarian options, the taste of the food leaves much to be desired. The service is terrible. They have interesting seating and decor but you feel like you're eating in a store because there is merchandise all around you. The cafe was filled with backpackers. They had many vegan/vegetarian/gluten free options - but food was not that great! I wouldn't go back.

Pros: veg options

Cons: bad service, not so great ambiance

KatrinW

Points +86

22 Jul 2019

Nice vegan offer

The restaurant offers a broad vegan menu and lots of vegan treats. You can get relatively cheap food, except for the desserts, which are quite expensive. The staff was very friendly and the interior is cute.

Portela

Points +120

01 Jun 2019

Diverse menu

Restaurant with a very extensive menu. I came here on my first day in Ubud since I wanted to get acquainted with my surroundings and thought it was a safe choice. I was happy to see they did have some traditional plate, which is what I went for. Service was really slow and food lacked a bit of flavor in my opinion. All and all great vibe and place to lounge in.

Pros: Vegan options

Medulla0909

Points +413

21 Apr 2019

Love this place

Since returning back home to the USA, this is one of the spots I truly miss. Super cute and relaxing. Love the vegan options and how everything tasted very fresh yet simple. Watermelon salad was my favorite. I miss Bali and all of the great lil places like this.

Pros: Lots of vegan options , Super cute and relaxing atmosphere , Healthy options

odeliasilva

Points +36

10 Jan 2019

I don’t recommend

Our wait was way too long and the service was crappy. We ordered two green drinks and only got one. The wrap was basically sour cream and lettuce. The portion sizes are way too small for the cost. I highly recommend checking other places near by.

Pros: Cute environment , They sell lots of crystals

Cons: Too long of a wait , Small portion sizes for the cost, They messed up with our order twice

Dragonking

Points +215

04 Dec 2018

Expensive Veggie place

Sampled several dishes here,a few werevery tasty others soso.Portion size small for the prices.So many other cheaper places in Ubud that are better.

Cons: Expensive

happyyase

Points +446

14 Sep 2018

So leckeres Essen and ein sehr einladendes Ambiente!

Sehr gemütlich und schönes Ambiente.
Man wird wahrgenommen und fühlt sich sofort willkommen!
Das Essen ist wahnsinnig lecker.
Wir hatten 4 große indische Samosas mit coriander, chilli dip.
Und teilten uns die vegane Pizza 30cm.
Wir wurden mehr als satt und der Geschmack ist uns den Preis definitv wert! Würde es Freunden und Familie empfehlen! Ich persöhnlich finde die Philosophie "Essen für Jederman" (Fleischesser, Vegetarier, Veganer) schön. Essen soll verbinden und vlt probiert dann auch mal ein Fleischliebhaber etwas veganes und merkt wow...
Werden es nochmal besuchen und das Frühstück oder die Kuchen probieren.
Waren einfach zu voll für Dessert.

Pros: großzügige Portionen, viele vegane Optionen, schönes und gemütliches Ambiente., Waschbecken im Raum zum Hände waschen.

blissful_brittany

Points +130

12 Jul 2018

Best Avo on Toast

We came here for breakfast four times during our trip to ubud, the avo on toast is amazing, the bread is so thick and fresh! we also got the gluten free oatmeal mix that was delicious and kept me full all morning! Only small inside but service was friendly and quick and food was great.

They also offer take away which is great to grab and go like we did on the morning we flew home!

Pros: avo ov toast, quick service, great food

ShelA

Points +174

11 Jun 2018

good options

The vegan food options are good, and tastes delicious. Costs more than local vegan food but definitely worth the visit if you are after a relaxing, quiet venue. This is a must visit on my trips to Ubud.

LaurenBettino

Points +46

28 Apr 2018

Quirky spot

Had a delicious vegan pizza while overlooking the rice paddy. Great view out back and cool atmosphere. Service wasn’t great and a bit pricey but overall would go back!

MelanieEskelinen

Points +19

17 Dec 2017

Over priced and bland food

This restaurant is pretty expensive and yet the food (falafel wrap) was very bland and dry. I've had way better food for half price in other restaurants. The drinks cost almost the same as the food.

Pros: Cosy and good service

Cons: Expensive

LolaNachtigall

Points +808

11 Nov 2017

Perfect Place

they offer a huge variety of vegan & gf food, sweets & pizza. could eat everyday here

Pros: vegan pizza, tempeh scramble

SaraJohnson

Points +15

13 Jan 2017

ice cream

eat The ice cream its sooo good!! say that you only want The vegan ones though!

iriiiss

Points +156

03 Dec 2016

Vegan pizza!

Shared the regular size vegan pizza with my sister and it was okay. Thin crust and there could have been more filling though. The place is cosy and it seemed they had many vegan options.

Pros: Good food, Cosy place

Guest

01 Dec 2016

Heaven

The first time I ate here I ordered the vegan pizza, a strawberry milkshake and the most amazing traditional Balinese dessert known as bubur injin which is a black rice pudding served with caramelised banana and coconut cream. I can honestly say it was one of the best meals I have ever had! The prices are inexpensive for the quality of food you get!

There are 2 Atman Kafes on the same street, with the Atman further up the street being the busier one.

The second time I ate at Atman I had a chocolate smoothies which was very nice.

Although Atman isn't fully vegetarian, the vegan meals are first class and I definitely recommend checking Atman out!

Pros: Amazing food, Quick service

Cons: Not fully veg

eatinggreen

Points +608

20 Feb 2016

Extensive menu but does have issues

They cook with white sugar which is not only unhealthy but means nothing tastes wholesome or good. Staff isn't knowledgeable about either the ingredients in the food served or the requirements of vegans, so requesting adaptations is difficult and risky. Service is pretty average - partly an English problem, partly an attitude issue... our waitress refused to admit she had made a mistake and wanted to charge us for something we hadn't ordered.

Pros: Large menu, claims to be organic

Cons: staff not trained well

JenMac78

Points +86

16 Feb 2016

Second visit, last visit

I visited this restaurant on my last visit to Ubud and it was great, however this time it was wrong in so many ways. The service was appalling, my dining partner got his food 25 minutes before mine. When mine came out - pad thai - it had egg all through it despite being a vegan dish, and when it came back it tasted like they had just washed the egg off. It was simply just rice noodles with lemon juice and some very scarce bean shoots. No peanuts, no tamarind. I was so sad as our first experience was great. Then the staff just laughed while they let the shop cat walk across our table and only shooed it away when some people next to us looked annoyed at having a cat lick their food. Maybe it was just an off night because it was low season? But really there are so many other good places to try in Ubud...

Pros: Jackfruit curry

Cons: Hygiene, Flavour, Messing up orders

Return to Ubud Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Atman Kafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.