First Review by Bohemianwife

excellent! - Edit

I ate here twice during my stay in Lexington. The staff was very nice and explained their lingo for meat substitutes. There a lot of options for those that abstain from meat and animal product consumption. The food didn't stick around long enough for me to take a picture!

My GPS took me to the LA Fitness. They are actually located a few stores down from the Walmart and the Qdoba Mexican Grill.

Pros: variety, helpful staff to explain vegan options, reasonable prices

Best Vegan Asian in Lexington - Edit

Asian Wind is one of my favorite places in Lexington. This is actually where I had my first meal out as a vegan. Harrison, a waiter, knew exactly which items on the menu were and weren't vegan. The kwachic is quite tasty, and comes in several styles. The lunch deals here are awesome, and the vegetable soup is simple but good. Excellent place to go with non-veg friends as most of the menu is your typical American-Chinese fare.

Pros: Selection, Price, Service

Cons: Not the healthiest, Processed

Will go again - Edit

The sesame kwachic is my favorite, and I definitely recommend it. The general tso kwachic was good but not as good as the sesame.They also served a lot of pieces of the kwachic (more than I expected). The rice given was bland,but it is vegan as long as you make sure they serve it with no eggs.

Pros: Good food, Good value

Cons: Rice is bland

Good food, but equal & cheaper options nearby - Edit

We like the atmosphere at Asian Wind, and the food is very delicious, but we've found that portions are small. We live nearby and prefer Peking Bistro, which is in Beaumont Centre and has equally good vegetarian offerings for less money.

If you need a quiet place to sit and have a relaxing meal, go for Asian Wind ... but if you're just looking to bring a meal home, their competitor 5 minutes away has great food for a cheaper price. (I'm all about the money, in addition to the menu choices. :-)

Lots of options, good food - Edit

Restaurant serves meat, but you can request a vegetarian menu, which has mock-meat versions of many of the items on their menu.

We asked a few questions, to see how much we were willing to trust the 'veganness' of the menu, but they seemed pretty legit.

The food was good and flavorful - nothing unique or overly-amazing, but it was good and not expensive, so that meets the criteria of a good meal.

If you're in the area, this place is worth visiting for their General Tso's.

Pros: Knowledgeable staff, Lots of vegan options

Cons: Serves meat

Great Food - Edit

This is a place that my mother and I both can eat at. She is an omnivore and lover of Chinese food, so, when we travel to Lexington together, we always eat here. The food is delicious, and the waitors are friendly and helpful. The one thing to be careful of is their Vegetable Soup. They have tried a couple of times to give me the Wonton Soup without the Wonton. It's just simply a miscommunication though.

Lexington's jewel - Edit

My girl and I make it a point to go here every time we're in Lexington - the kwabeef and kwachik are excellent, especially in the breaded/fried varieties (like the general tso's or orange chicken). They have some other interesting versions like 'grilled chicken' and tasty vegan appetizers. If you are looking for vegan food in Lexington, this is the place.

Pros: great mock meat, vegan-friendly, tasty

Cons: out of the way

Fake Meat a Plenty - Edit

If you are one of those who longs for a specific meat dish from your carnivore past then this is the place for you! They make every staple of chinese cuisine with a fake beef or chicken substitute. The food is very good and you will be dazzled by the options. The place is in a strip mall, but it tries to be charming. It has a little pond inside.

Pros: tons of options

Cons: strip mall

VEGANS BEWARE!!!. - Edit

I used to live in Lexington. All of my friends ate here like it was the best thing in the world. I have tried most of their mock meat dishes, and they are OK, OK if you like the same type of fake meat thrown in a different sauce served with cheap rice for $10+!

Needless to say I didn't spend my money there for a long time. One day my girlfriend, vegan too, wanted to go on her birthday, so I gave in. I ordered some fake chicken dish, and she ordered vegan mongolian quabeef. We were on the back of the menu (vegetarian section) and pointed to it when she said mongolian quabeef. We asked to make sure it would be vegan. We were assured that both dishes would be vegan.

Got our food and started eating. Instantly saw what looked like egg in our rice. Called the waitress over, she said oh yea thats egg! Remained calm and asked for rice without egg. Got a new, non egg'y, plate of rice. I tried a piece of her 'quabeef', she tried a piece of my chicken. About half way into our meal, she says "This taste like real meat.." not noticing before by taking each bite with rice and veggies. I said nooo couldn't be. She bit a piece in half and OUT COMES THE BLOOD onto her fingers. She started crying on the spot. I called the waitress over and said hey this isn't vegan, you f*cked her order up and fed her real meat! The manager came over to apologize, APOLOGIZING TO ME FOR GIVING ME NON VEGAN FAKE CHICKEN WITH EGG'S IN IT!!! I had to explain to them that we were assured both would be vegan, up until that point I THOUGHT mine was vegan, and the original problem was they gave my guest REAL BEEF.

The waitress started making up excuses, saying that no no we ordered regular mongolian beef.. She started looking through the menu trying to find where we showed her we wanted regular beef. I snatched it from her, flipped it over to the veggy menu, and instantly pointed at the mongolian quabeef which we ordered.

Left without paying and spent the rest of the day throwing up, trying to comfort my girlfriend who cried randomly for the next 3 or 4 days because "they fed me beef".

Onto the quachick chicken. They try to say some of it is vegan, and you have to ask. It all looks the same. If you look up quachick on the internet, you find ingredient lists for that product. I'm am fairly convinced there is no vegan quachick and that restaurant, or any for that matter. Don't expect an honest/consistent answer.

VEGANS BEWARE!!! NON TRUSTWORTHY CONVENTIONAL CHINESE RESTAURANT. Save your money

Cons: real meat, non vegan fake meat, real expensive

Best Chinese in Town! - Edit

They have an extensive vegetarian menu and the service is great. Vegetable soup is a great starter. Try the Sesame kwachik for an entre.

Best time to go is an early dinner on Sunday when the place is quiet. It can really fill up during peak hours.

Pros: tons of vegetarian options, doting staff, pleasant ambiance

One of the Best - Edit

Possibly the best Chinese/Pan-Asian restaurant I have ever eaten at. A veggie's dream as Asian Wind offers numerous delicious dishes with their signature soy and gluten based kwachic and kwabeef. Beyond catering to veggie's, the food is prepared with a flair for fresh, crisp, and, if you like, spicy! The ambiance is also very pleasant.

Pros: Fresh, Kwachic!, Spicy

Cons: Too far from my house, Too far from downtown

Asian Winner - Edit

Although located on the outskirts of town, Asian Wind is one of our favorites. It offers a variety of very tasty Chinese veg*n dishes (kwa-chik is vegan; kwa-bif contains eggs). The lunch menu is a bargain and its dishes are equal in quality to the dinner menu dishes. The staff is friendly, and the service is speedy. A great place to go with mixed-diet company. If you run out of things to talk about, listen to the tweeting bird soundtrack emanating from the walls.

Favorite place to go! - Edit

I love this place because they have their own fake chicken and fake beef call kwachik and kawabif. Sesame kwachik is the best but has honey. I would eat here often but it is expensive. The staff is really nice and there are alot of veggies who eat here. Give it a chance, its so worth it.

Pros: kwachik, service, choices

Cons: expensive, weird decorations

Return to Lexington Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Asian Wind closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2544 times since Aug 2007.