Asia Joes

Serves meat, vegan options available. Asian food restaurant. Has a veggie and gluten-free section on the menu. Mon-Sun 12:00pm-3:00pm, Mon-Sun 5:30pm-10:00pm

Category: Ovo, Chinese, Thai, Take-out, Asian, Non-veg

First Review by Ken4057

delicious vegan options - Edit

I really enjoyed my food it was so delicous! I was told there would be a wait on food (they seemed very popular and busy) and although it took a little long to come out it was so worth the wait they where friendly and my food was fresh with a large variety of seasonal veggies :)

Pros: great food and atmosphere

Cons: long wait on food

Really tasty - Edit

I'd love to see more vegan options, but it's hard to complain when the food was so tasty. Yum yum yum. Simple homestyle presentation. Staff seemed somewhat disinterested in us... but it was very busy.

Pros: Tasty food, Reasonable prices, Lots of fresh vegies

Cons: Many meat options, Gets really busy

Don't come to Byron Bay and miss this gem - Edit

We heard Byron Bay is a mecca of vegan food. This is true, but not for dinner options. We headed to Asia Joe's and was delighted to see lots of vegan options. We ordered the vegetarian platter, which says it can be made vegan on the menu, and some stir fries.
The food came out fairly quickly, despite the place being super busy. The guy who took our order labelled everything vegan, with capital letters and highlighter, so I felt pretty good about seeing they're attentive.
The meals were fantastic. Good sized portions, healthy and fresh, lots of flavour. But atmosphere is the number one pro of the whole place. Hidden away in a little alleyway in the heart of Byron Bay's main street, this place is beautifully lit up at night time, but be warned, it takes a while to get a seat.
We came back two nights later for a take away meal. I tried ordering the vegetarian platter again, but the girl serving us said it couldn't be done vegan, despite it being written on the menu. I immediately froze, as we'd eaten this two nights before and the guy said nothing about it not being vegan, and it is clearly labelled that it can be vegan on the menu. I was doubtful about what she said, but didn't get it a second time just in case. She suggested some tofu pockets, which were fantastic. The meal took about 20 minutes to come out, but it was delicious, fresh and affordable like last time. The only downer was the doubt about the vegetarian platter.

Pros: Atmosphere, Fresh, clean eating, Affordable

Cons: Confusion about vegan options, Hard to get a table

Best place to eat in Byron - Edit

Once eating here, I returned every night for the rest of my trip. The service was very good and the food was amazing. The food is like asian street food, the ingredients are extremely fresh, it is not greasy, and the tofu is the best I have ever had.

Pros: Amazing, fresh food, Not greasy, Best tofu

Cons: Gets busy

Bad service and indigestion - Edit

The only nice things about Asia Joe's are the separately marked vegan options on the menu and the BYO. The service however was below average. My partner got his dish served with rice even though he was expecting to get noodles and then the waiter was reluctant to rectify the mistake.
The food servings are very small for what they charge for it. The worst part was the quality of the food - my pumpkin & rice noodle dish was overly greasy, the tofu was burned. My partner's lemongrass-coconut dish (supposedly their specialty) was ridiculously small, tasted of canned coconut milk and had very little vegetables.
All in all a very unfortunate dinner experience that gave me stomach ache; never going back there.

Pros: clear vegan options

Cons: greasy food, poor service, small portions

Tiny tables, decent food - Edit

It's nice to have a clearly labeled vegan section when you need to make concessions with omni co-travelers.

I had a tofu noodle dish that was brimming with veggies. I saved half for lunch the next day. It could've been more flavourful. I added chili and it went a long way.

It's a small place with wooden tables and some outdoor seating as well. Good service.

Return to Byron Bay Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Asia Joes closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1076 times since Mar 2011.