Ashley's by LivingFood

017-3253663

11, Ground Floor, Jalan Telawi 3, Bangsar Baru, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, 59100

Serves meat, vegan options available. Semi-upscale restaurant in Bangsar serving a large range of marked vegetarian, vegan, and raw food. Opened by the LivingFood restaurant also in KL. Open Mon-Thu 11:00am-11:00pm, Fri 11:00am-11:30pm, Sat 9:00am-11:30pm, Sun 9:00am-11:00pm.

Categories: Lacto, Ovo, Organic, Raw, Western, Beer/Wine, Malaysian, Non-veg

First Review by Stevie

Interesting place in KL - Edit

I really wish I loved this place. It is great overall, the menu has quite a lot of options, even if you are with omnivorous friends and the raw vegan one all sound really nice. However, I had the vegetable dumplings in the pumpkin soup with borio rice and it was a little underwhelming. The presentation was nice but the taste just was not there. Even to my raw vegan no salt added tastebuds, this did not have enough flavor for me. I do really like the place itself and it has a cool interior, have to come back and maybe try a different dish!

Pros: Interior, Friendly Service, English spoken well

Cons: Not flavorful, Serves meat

I want to love it but... - Edit

I have been to Ashley's several times, and admire that the vegan dishes are labelled. It is a good option if omnivorous dining companions insist on a non-vegetarian restaurant, since this is a self proclaimed 'flexitarian' restaurant.

I have tried the lentil soup (tasty), raw enchilada (not bad, but I was hungry again soon after), and the raw vegan Christmas set menu (beautifully presented but expensive for the portion size, which I find is the case for most of their raw food). There are actually only a small number of non-raw vegan options on the menu and zero cooked breakfast options (they have raw granola for RM22 and an egg dish marked with the vegan symbol?!).

I once asked what type of protein powder was used in one of the smoothies, and neither the servers nor the kitchen could supply this information. They said it was plant based (which is what the menu says), but no one could find out if it was soy based (the friend I was with has a soy allergy). I found this a little disconcerting since they claim to make everything on site. I also found the servers to be overly attentive on multiple occasions (repeatedly asking if everything was okay every ten minutes). And as another reviewer mentioned, the food is often served in a random order (I don't mind this if they tell you in advance but there was no warning). The raw desserts are delicious but small (and expensive for what you get!).

I want to love Ashley's, especially since there are not many other places you can get similar vegan food in Bangsar, but to be honest I would prefer to spend the kind of money you end up parting with here on a really nice vegan meal elsewhere (such as LN Fortunate, Loving Cafe or Justlife cafe).

Pros: Many raw vegan options., Pretty interior.

Cons: Expensive for what you get.

Raw Gem in the City - Edit

At the time I was there in November, they were doing a Pink Ribbon Breast Cancer Awareness set lunch which included a juice, a salad, a starter, a choice of main and a dessert.

I chose a Green Juice with pineapple which was refreshing, and a Raw Mango Wrap with Pulled Eggplant and Flaxseed Crisp - this was spectacular! it was my first time trying raw vegan food and I was amazed by the flavours and texture of this dish - the Cashew Cream really tied everything together.

The set lunch also came with a small bowl of jicama and wakame salad, and I chose a Curry Laksa for my main - the broth is flavourful and made rich with coconut milk, it came with rice vermicelli noodles + a generous amount of spiralized vegetables and an amazing Miso Sambal.

I was feeling adventurous and decided to order an a-la-carte of the Raw Mezze Platter that comes with Mushroom Foie Gras (which everyone raved about in their reviews), Walnut Paté, assorted raw Crackers and Crisps, Corn Salsa with Jicama Rice and some Crudites. I was very disappointed with the Mushroom Foie Gras, it was tasteless and quite watery, the texture was not very appealing. However, I thought the Walnut Paté was pretty good - I wouldn't recommend ordering this platter unless you have more than 1 party, or if you're only having this as your main. It is quite large with lots of different components.

The Raw Vegan Chocolate Tart was highly recommended by one of the wait staff, so that was what I picked for dessert. It was really good with a velvety chocolate ganache encased in a thin date and nut tart shell - not too decadent and a perfect finish to a meal.

The one thing I was not happy with was that they bring everything out to you all at once, even with a set lunch you would think they would present you with your mains after you have finished with your starter. I guess since they have separate kitchens for raw food, vegan food and non- vegan food, it's hard to keep things in order.

All in all, I am thoroughly impressed with the food, especially the raw food here. I will definitely come back to sample the rest.

Pros: Vegan + Raw Vegan Options, Caters to Everyone , including people with certain Food Allergies

Cons: Food comes all at once

Ashley's by Living Food, Kuala Lumpur - Edit

I lunched here on sunday. To be transparent I have some bias in reviews against omnivorous restaurants. That doesn't stop me reporting some great positives re this place.

The raw vegan sushi was fab. We also had some raw vegan crackers with egg plant. This dish was unremarkable. I also had the vegan lentil soup. Again this was ace.

For main I had the mexican burrito. This was unremarkable. She i must obey had a great bom spaghetti.

We tried the raw vegan cheese cake. Very tasty.

I asked the supervisor if any of the wines were vego. Regrettably this was a completely alien concept to him.

Pros: vegan friendly

Cons: not all vego, staff unaware of vego booze

Contributions +41

Delicious - Edit

Had the Quinoa salad. Good portion, delicious taste. Trendy restaurant, good service. Good choice of dishes.

Pros: Tasty, Clean, Good Service

Cons: Pricey

Return to Kuala Lumpur Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Ashley's by LivingFood closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.