CLOSED: Artichoke Cafe

• Vegan

Contact 513-668-7723

2700 Miamisburg Centerville Rd (at Dayton Mall), Dayton, Ohio, USA, 45459

Previously a Loving Hut, now reportedly still all vegan with a new name (Aug 2012). Reported closed to HappyCow.

Category: Vegan, American, Fast food, Take-out, Asian, Vietnamese

First Review by Amarand

Awful Experience - Edit

I am not sure if I hit this place on a day when the employee was feeling particularly careless, or what, but it was literally one of, if not THE, most disgusting meal I have ever been served. I was visiting Dayton from Orlando and was so excited to find a Vegan restaurant in town. I ordered the american panini which was served with some sort of slaw and a side of sweet potato fries. The sandwhich was tasted ok, but was mostly bread and pickles with a single slice of Tofurkey placed amongst the condiments. The "slaw" appeared to be some sort of old and wilted fruit salad. I found a hair in it, and quickly pushed it aside. The fries that were served had been sitting in the oil fryer for an extended period of time. They were cold, greasy, and tough. I ate one and lost my appetite. I brought up the quality of my meal to the employee and I truly feel like she could not have cared less. She simply smirked at me, and said "sorry" in a sarcastic tone. I normally don't take the time to write reviews online, but I was blown away by this experience. No wonder many people think vegan food is gross...

Pros: Vegan, Quick

Cons: Awful Service, Terrible Food, Few Choices on Menu

Loving Hut replaced by Artichoke Cafe? - Edit

I went to the Dayton Mall to try to find the Loving Hut, but there was another vegan place there, the Artichoke Cafe. I initially thought it was the same place, but upon reflection I don't think so. The Loving Hut has been described as a cult elsewhere, whereas this place left a lot to be desired. (Although it doesn't affect the food, the fact they spelled "cuisine" incorrectly on their site bothered me!)

I've become spoiled by Native Foods in my hometown of Boulder, because the menu of appetizers, salads, sandwiches and sides seemed pretty underwhelming. I ordered the salad with their vegan shrimp, to be told they didn't have any shrimp. The cashier also told me they only had to-go containers, and she struggled with how to use the credit card machine.

Salads are pretty basic fare, but I was expecting something a little more impressive than the lettuce, sprouts, cranberries and seeds I received. The sauce was nice and tangy, but the presentation wasn't any better than I'd expect from another place in a food court that didn't focus on veg*n fare.

If you're looking for vegan versions of standard fare, maybe this place would be worth seeking out (they offer a vegan lasagna). But I'll probably just head to a more standard chain (Max and Erma's?) for a salad next time.

Pros: convenient, raises awareness of vegan food!

Cons: poor presentation, underwhelming salad

Great for mall food! - Edit

I think that the Loving Hut is a great place to go if you are hanging out in or around the Dayton Mall but I wouldn't recommend driving there just for the food unless you live nearby. It's good food but it's not amazing. The portions are a bit small but the food is very affordable. I've only been there once because I rarely go to the Dayton Mall. I would go to Loving Hut a lot more if they added one at the Greene, The Fairfield Mall, the Oregon District or around Wright State. I don't consider the Dayton Mall to be a desirable location. The vegan lasagna and chocolate chip cookie that I tried there was amazing. However, they run out of a lot of items on the menu pretty quickly. Also, the menu said that you could either a salad or rice as a side for any meal but the man working there told me that I could only get salad because "rice and lasagna would be too many carbs". I felt that he was a bit rude about it and I wanted the rice because the lasagna was such a small serving. However, it was still tasty enough that I would eat there again if I ever feel the need to go to the Dayton Mall or if I visit another city that has a Loving Hut.

Pros: Tasty food, 100% vegan, Very affordable

Cons: Located in Dayton mall, Small Portions , Service wasn't great

Vegan, Tasty and Reasonably Priced - Edit

Dayton isn't too far of a drive from Columbus, and it was certainly worth the trip! This place had it all: salads to sandwiches, soup to fried goodies. I ordered the coconut "shrimp," which had a really nice texture, the American panini sandwich, a southwestern eggroll and the fried dumplings. There were plenty of healthy choices as well, but sometimes you just have to try what you're in the mood for. A great selection of food, beverages and I even had the last slice of chocolate cake, which was pretty decent. Don't let the fact that this place is in a mall food court - the food is tasty, super-fresh and well worth the trip.

As the restaurant is relatively new, they are looking for feedback, and pictures of people having fun eating their food, so don't forget to snap a shot if you can, and send it to them on their web-site.

I'm not sure if this was a counter-measure to prevent people from taking condiments without making a purchase or just an oversight, but there wasn't any obvious ketchup for my (awesome) sweet potato fries. It diminished the experience ever so slightly. Had the fries not been so fresh, crispy and sweet, I might have missed the ketchup a little more - but I still missed it. Maybe I should have asked? If ketchup is important to you, either ask, or bring your own.

My only wish is that they had one in Columbus!

Pros: Super Tasty, Reasonably Priced, 100% Vegan

Cons: Food Court, Dayton, No Ketchup

Return to Dayton Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Artichoke Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 851 times since Aug 2010.