Artemisa Sol - Gran Via

Contact 915218721

Calle Tres Cruces 4, Gran Via, Madrid, Spain, 28013

Vegetarian restaurant. Offers a daily menu. May 2014 owner reports menu is now all veg. Open Mon-Sun 1:30pm-4:00pm, Mon-Thu 8:30pm-11:30pm, Fri-Sat 9:00pm-12:00am, Sun 8:30pm-11:30pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Spanish

First Review by PaulBrennan

Decent service and mediocre food. - Edit

Waiter was nice, but said appetizer was vegan . It wasn't. Had dairy cheese on top. I had to spit it out. My Tuscany eggplant tasted ok, but was cold in the middle. Gazpacho was delicious.

Mixed feelings - Edit

Pros: very cheap 3-course menu, delicious food, air conditioned
Cons: The waiter was very rude which really ruined the atmosphere unfortunately. Handed us English menus yet scolded us for not "speaking his language" among other turn-offs.

Amo Artemisa - Edit

Cuando pienso que algo no me va a gustar, me gusta. La tarta de queso está de muerte y el frosting de la de zanahoria también. Os recomiendo encarecidamente este sitio para probar el menú del día (fuera de menú, puede resultar un sitio caro pero dentro del menú es muy económico y sales rodando).

Pros: Menú del día.

Cons: Fuera del menú, caro.

A little slice of heaven - Edit

I honestly cannot fathom how this charming restaurant could receive a single bad review. The service was impeccable, the setting was lovely and to say the food was delicious was an understatement. A very creative menu, with the freshest of ingredients presented beautifully. My only complaints, if you can call them that, are that the menu is so comprehensive that you have to return for at least a second night, and the portions so generous that I had to undo a button on my trousers. The menu is also available in English and we received nothing less than the most cordial of welcomes. 5 stars.

Pros: Delicious food, Fully vegetarian and vegan restaurant , Charming service

Not bad, but nothing special - Edit

Not the most welcoming or vibrant of places; it is fully vegetarian and had a decent looking selection of vegan options. The waiter had some English but seemed a little hostile, not sure why considering there weren't many other people in there. I was questioned over my vegan choice which seemed a little odd, as if I was just trying to be difficult. "Are you vegan?" Go figure.

For starter I had Cream of Nettles which was a "recommended" dish. This was basically nettle soup which looked pretty unappetising. It tasted pretty bland and unusually for me I had to add salt. My main course was described as a vegan pie, but this may have been a bad translation as it had a soft topping. Don't recall what it was exactly (it wasn't especially memorable) but it contained aubergine amongst other things. It was nice and tasty and was probably the highlight of the meal. My partner had a lasagne which was good but nothing out of the ordinary. Soft drinks seemed to be off the menu as well, we made do with bottled water.

Overall it was OK. Nothing special and not the cheapest.

Pros: Vegan options, Just off Gran Via, Good choice

Cons: Mediocre food, Unfriendly, Drab interior, Expensive

Really bad. - Edit

I went with three friends and only one of them enjoyed their plate, which were the non-vegan "burgers" (which actually looked more like crackers). I had the Gazpacho and I couldn't finish it, I would rather eat the store bought from the box; tastes better and it's cheaper.

They gave us bread that tasted awful, we agreed that it had to be old; it was so dry and we still had to pay for that.

They could have more vegan desserts, there was only one option.

The service was OK, but not something to brag about either. The guy who served us was nice and all, he even spoke some English.

The place looks a bit dull and dark.

I would say this is a place for people who are very hungry and can't find any other vegetarian place to eat because they are tired of walking around.

Pros: Good sized portions, Central location, easy to find

Cons: Bad bread, Mediocre food, Dull environment

100% would recommend for vegans visiting Madrid! - Edit

Awesome place for dinner! English menu available, the waiter spoke almost no English but was very friendly and patient and we managed, and even learned a few new words! Food was incredible, went with 3 omnis and they were all very impressed. Lots of vegan menu items including dessert clearly marked on the menu, some vegetarian dishes had vegan dessert options as well. Wish I had time to go again!
Updated from previous review on Sunday August 11, 2013

Pros: Easy to find, Big, yummy portions, Friendly atmosphere

Cons: Language barrier

delicious))) - Edit

very cute cafe! after visiting him, lunch and dinner only in it) good portions, very nice inside, very tasty! We are pleased! this is the best vegetarian place in Madrid in our opinion! Thank you!

tasty upscale vegetarian cuisine - Edit

Nice space in a great location; vegan items have some unusual ingredients, such as pistachios; the vegan pate was like nothing I'd ever tasted before. It's upscale and a little pricey, but the food is elegant and hearty and filling.

Pros: location, quality

Cons: prices

Familiar restaurant - Edit

Finally, after offering veal and chicken they decide remove this products form the menu and became FULL VEGETARIAN again. They delete this products from the external board yesterday. CONGRATULATIONS. A dozen of tables in a familar ambience. Many vegan options marked V in the menu. Big rations size. Moderate price a full meal cost 20 to 25 euros.

Pros: Vegan options, Big rations, Varied menu

Cons: Moderate price

Great food, but needs better presentation - Edit

I'm alone on business in Madrid, and this restaurant is literally around the corner from my hotel. Though I'm not veggie, my wife is, so I thought I'd check it out with a view to maybe taking her there on a future leisure trip as a couple.
So, I went on a Monday evening, and predictably the place was empty apart from one other lone diner. That's not a problem for me, but I would advise that people looking for a bustling busy atmosphere should create their own by visiting in a group. The decor is a little bit dated too. Lots of old varnished pine furniture and wood cladding. On the positive side, the menu is extensive, with lots of choice and plenty of vegan dishes and vegan-versions of the vegetarian dishes. The portions are large too. Arrive hungry! Plus, the waiter I had spoke very good English and was very hospitable.
I was first given a complimentary taster plate of the guacamole and tortilla chips and it was very very good. Chunky and refreshing.
I ordered a starter of Leek Quiche and a huge piece arrived. But sadly it had been rushed to the table, hadn't been heated through and was still cold inside. So I sent it back to the kitchen and once properly heated it was delicious.
For the main course, I had the Pastel Persa - which translates as Persian Cake, but actually comprises long slices of eggplant/aubergine stuffed with mushroom paté and layered on top of each other with cheese in between. It was amazing. It came with risotto on the side. But again, there was a problem with the heating of the dish. It had been served on a cold plate, so although the Pastel Persa stayed hot, the risotto quickly cooled. That was a bit disappointing.
Anyway, despite the delicious looking desserts, I was full, so I finished with just a coffee. And that at least was hot.
To be fair, I had a chat with the manager at the end and I told him about the hot/cold issues, so hopefully, they will learn and readers of this review will not encounter the same thing.
In summary, I really enjoyed the food. It was just disappointing that it was let down by simple little mistakes in presentation.

Pros: Big variety, Friendly staff, Great tasting

Cons: Cold plates, Quiet, Dated decor

Return to Madrid Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Artemisa Sol - Gran Via closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 4695 times since Sep 2012.