Artemisa Huertas - Cortes

Contact 914295092

Ventura de la Vega, 4, Madrid, Spain, 28014

Feb 2013 reported to have removed meat and is all vegetarian again. Offers a daily menu for around €12. Vegan dishes are suitable for lactose intolerant and gluten intolerant, wheat is replaced by other flours (chickpea or corn). Metro: Sevilla, get off Carrera de San Jeronimo. Mon-Sun 1:30pm-4:00pm, Mon-Sun 9:00pm-12:00am

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, International, Fast food, Take-out, Spanish

First Review by Parasol

Psssssch - Edit

Probamos el Plato degustación Artemisa (Berenjenas Artemisa, paella, espinacas a la catalana, buñuelos de calabacín y hamburguesas vegetales) y nos quedamos un poco igual. Cosas que me puedo hacer yo en mi casa mejor, si voy a comer fuera quiero que me hagan algo distinto y elaborado.
El precio es caro y la decoración un poco "taberna antigua".

Wonderful Vegetarian Restaurant - Edit

We have just been on a 5-day visit to Madrid, and went to this restaurant for a meal in the evening and it was great. On our final day, we were traveling home and would arrive too late for a meal so we decided to go back to Artemisa for a Menu Del Dia, and it was the best one we have ever had. The food was fabulous, service great and the price was right. Would highly recommend a visit if you're in Madrid and a vegetarian.

Pros: Great food, Great value, Great service

Amo Artemisa - Edit

Cuando pienso que algo no me va a gustar, me gusta. La tarta de queso está de muerte y el frosting de la de zanahoria también. Os recomiendo encarecidamente este sitio para probar el menú del día (fuera de menú, puede resultar un sitio caro pero dentro del menú es muy económico y sales rodando).

Pros: Menú del día que te deja probar muchas cosas.

Cons: Si pides de carta, carito. Pero tiene unos platos

The variety is limited but the worst is how they treat tourists. My partner and I were on vacation in Madrid and went to eat there and, as soon as they heard us talking in Catalan between us, the treatment was bad and the service even worse. I would not recommend it to anyone and I will never go again there.

La variedad es escasa pero lo peor es el trato que tienen hacia los turistas. Mi pareja y yo estábamos de vacaciones en Madrid y fuimos a comer allí y en cuanto nos oyeron hablar en catalán entre nosostros el trato fue pésimo y el servicio aún peor. No se lo recomendaría a nadie ni volveré a ir jamás.

Vegetarian paella - Edit

They have a great vegetarian paella. This doesn't look like your average dive vegetarian restaurant. Has a more upscale feel. A bit annoyed that taxes aren't included in the menu price.

Pros: Nice atmosphere

Cons: Pricey

Rico, pero caro - Edit

Recuerdo que la primera vez que fui apenas estaba empezando a informarme sobre el vegetarianismo, y , sinceramente, me sorprendió gratamente que la comida estuviera tan rica.
He vuelto bastantes veces y para mi gusto la calidad de los platos sigue siendo bastante buena.
Como pegas, puedo decir que es un restaurante pequeño, por lo que a veces puedes encontrarte con algo de cola lo que hace que el servicio pueda verse un poco saturado y que los precios son un poco elevados (al menos para mi bolsillo de estudiante).
Tambien hay que decir que la mayoría de opciones que hay en el menú son ovo-lacto-vegetarianas.

Pros: Location, Tasty food

Cons: Price, Small place

Sneaky prices - Edit

I ordered Berenjenas Toscanas which on the menu says costs €13,90 which already seemed quite expensive compared to restaurants I'd been in Barcelona, but the surprise came when I got the bill. The price hasn't included the tax. I did notice that it said that on the menu, but in a way you wouldn't notice it if you're not looking. And then also I was made to pay for the bread which I didn't order but was brought infront of me. I have compassion for the owners, but this kind of behaviour feels like hussling. It could be because they figured I'm a tourist.

In their favour I have to admit that the food was very tasty.

Pros: tasty food

Cons: openness about the prices, bad value

Massive Portions, Busy, Unlimited Wine! - Edit

We came here for lunch as it was around the corner from the hotel we were staying at, the All Seasons Prado. It was extremely busy and packed but we were seated relatively quickly.

The lunch was prix fixe only and included unlimited wine (other options were available), appetizer, entree and dessert. It was just way too much food. My husband loved that they simply plunked down a bottle of wine at our table (white for him, red for me) and just let us drink away.

The food was not bad, definitely satisfying, but nothing exciting or gourmet. Neither one of us could make a dent in the entree because the appetizer was so filling.

Pros: colossal portion size, unlimited wine

Cons: colossal portion size, waitress did not speak english

oy vey! - Edit

i don't know what to say about this joint. it seems to me that with a crisis on their hands restaurants should be as accomadating as possible. the service was exaggeratedly slow, the food was edible however my wife wouldn't touch anything after the soup because of a supposed hair we found. enough said. the price was decent but we ate a third of the food and left hungry.

Pros: location, location, location

Cons: slow, hairy, divorce

Muy mala esperiencia. - Edit

Soy vegetariano desde hace 23 años y he visitado muchos restaurantes vegetarianos por todo el mundo ya que trabajo de piloto comercial.Decidi ir a comer a este restaurante porque estaba de escala en madrid.Tengo que decir para empezar que este no es un restaurante vegetariano porque tienen demasiado pollo, huevos y leche en sus menus.Por otro lado el servicio fue pesimo, estuve 10 minutos esperando en la entrada y nadie me hacia caso y eso que habia muy poca gente en el comedor.Tardaron otros 20 minutos en tomarme nota.Ya estaba desesperado pero como no tenia otra opcion espere y espere.Una vez que me trajeron la comida me resulto bastante insipida y grasienta y el precio me parecio muy caro.El local es demasiado pequeño con las mesas pequeñas y demasiado juntas y la iluminacion me parecio molesta.No recomiendo este sito a nadie.

"Don't waste your time or money!" - Edit

Went to the restaurant after reading the reviews but had a truly awful time. The food was terrible. I didn't even get what i ordered but the service was atrocious! Whatever happened to service with a smile?! The waitress was really slow in attending to us and it wasn't as though she was busy. The food seemed like it took forever in getting to us...there was a really long wait. Not once were we asked if everything was ok. When we asked for the bill there was at least a 10 minute wait and another 10 minutes were wasted on waiting for the change! Truly awful experience.

Good food, not many vegan choices - Edit

I was disappointed that there was no vegan menu del dia option, so I had to order a la carte. Still, I was very happy with the seitan dish I got; it was really tasty. On the whole menu, only the seitan and one tofu dish were vegan. The trouble with having only lacto-ovo menu del dia (prix fixe) choices is that vegans end up having to spend a lot more money for the same amount of food. Also, the atmosphere here was less lively than at any other restaurant we visited. We didn't return. Nonetheless, it was an okay meal. I would definitely make a note of it; in Madrid, you are going to need as long a list of veggie restaurants as you can possibly make, as you are probably not going to find vegan (or much vegetarian) food at regular restaurants.

Pros: good seitan

Cons: very few vegan choices, price

Good three-course lunch for €11.25 - Edit

I recommend the three-course lunch menu for €11.25. Two of us went, ordering pasta salad and soup as our starters, a lasagna and plato combinado (very nice - potatoes, curry vegetables, hummus w/nacho, couscous salad) as mains, and I got soy pudding with raspberry sauce (not fantastic) for dessert while my friend traded in the dessert option for another beer or maybe it was a coffee. Service was efficient if not particularly friendly (our fault since we don't speak Spanish) and the food was pretty tasty and arrived quickly. Also, the beers were cheap. After lunch we walked to the Prado, which is only a few blocks away.

Pros: Good lunch, Food arrived quickly

Cons: Soy pudding

Can they nix the chix? - Edit

This was a great meal. We almost passed on it as being only "friendly" and not full-veg, until we noted that it was only 2 dishes (both chicken). Enough staff spoke enough English that (with my poor Castillian) I got comfortable that there were no animal fats in our food.

Great choices, nice space, good service.

Best welcome - Edit

This was the first Madrid restaurant we tried, because it is very central (a few streets from Sevilla, and very close to the jazz cafes Populart and Cafe Central). It's in a street with lots of restaurants. The welcome was wonderful, and soon we were nibbling tasty appetisers before our food came. There were three of us, and we had very different foods, but all well presented, and there was a selection of organic wine. We particularly liked the service and the helpful staff. We ate soon after 9, and it was a Sunday night, but it was filling up fast.
There are two non-vegetarian dishes, which the menu says are cooked separately, but we didn't see any sign of anyone eating them. Perhaps they could be encouraged to drop them . . .

Pros: staff and service, varied menu, location

Cons: two non-vegetarian dishes (unnecessary)

Artemesia, Ventura de la Vega, Madrid - Edit

Staff gave me an English language menu. The menu is predominantly ovo and/or lacto vegetarian. Staff were more than helpful when I asked what on the menu was vegan vegetarian. I had the port soup as a starter then the tofu in the ginger. Both were great. There is a non vegetarian section on the menu containing 2 dishes. I went with non veg*ns who enjoyed the 100% vegetarian food they ordered. Centrally located very close to Sevilla metro, also close to Sol metro. Gets very busy with people queueing for tables.

Pros: Tasy food, Helpful staff, Central

Cons: 2 non veggie dishes

Good Value - Edit

This restaurant is the first of six veg restaurants I visited over my time in Madrid. My companion and I rated it overall a 7/10.

The food was good - not great, not bad. We both had different options off of the set menu which costs a little over 10 Euro. It was a very filling meal. Staff did not speak English and menu of the day was written in script that was difficult to decipher.

Menu is mostly veg - a few items on the menu at the end had meat.

Pros: Good food, Good Value, Popular

Cons: Tacky decor, No English on set menu, Ambience (lacking)

Return to Madrid Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Artemisa Huertas - Cortes closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 5804 times since Aug 2007.