Aroma Thyme Bistro

Contact 845-647-3000

165 Canal St (at Rte 52 & 209, Hudson Valley, 1 mile south of Resnick Airport), Ellenville, New York, USA, 12428

Serves meat, vegan options available. About half of menu is vegan which includes soups, appetizers, entrees like eggplant and garbanzo, tempeh and mushrooms, pizzas, plus desserts. No dairy or butter used in any dish. Call for reservations. Open . Open for dinners only. Mon-Thurs from 5pm, Fri from 3pm, lunch and dinner Sat-Sun from noon.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Organic, Beer/Wine, Non-veg

First Review by icelandicody

Great relaxing atmosphere and delicious food! - Edit

Stopped here with my crew following a hike. Many vegan options, I had sweet potato soup, bread, and some smaller snacks, all great. Many pizza etc. options, I'd say something for everyone. The owners, a married couple, were very gracious, friendly, and fun. Great beer too!

delicious! - Edit

If you are in a hurry, skip this place, but if you are ready to fine and relax, it is great! Cute atmosphere, incredible wine and beer selection, vegan and non vegan options to please all! A bit pricey but very worth it!

Pros: quality, taste, service

Unexpected - Edit

We stopped by this restaurant after a hike in the Catskills. The sign outside said, Steak, Seafood, Vegetarian. Odd.

Inside we found a cosy atmosphere. The restaurant was very busy on a Saturday night. They seated us without reservations. The menu had vegan items clearly marked. There were 3 vegan entrees, and several vegan appetizers. There were also vegetarian (non-vegan) options. The food was a little slow coming out, but again, they were very busy (almost every table was taken). All of the food was delicious. It was such a surprise, as we didn't expect to find such a nice restaurant in this area. Prices were on the high side, but again, the food was superb. There was live music as the night progressed. The bar area was busy. Extensive wine list.

We will return the next time we go hiking in this area.

Pros: Delicous food, Vegan items well marked, Vegan desserts

Cons: Expensive, Slow to get food

Miracle on Canal Street - Edit

I simply couldn't believe it the first time I walked into Aroma Thyme, soaked in the ambiance, and took a look at the menu. What's a great restaurant like this doing in a run-down town like Ellenville?

The answer is, the owners (Marcus and Jamie) grew up in the area and wanted to give something back. And trust me, it's worth the drive from anywhere in the Hudson Valley/Catskills to experience the outstanding quality of the food they are offering.

The menu is definitely omnivorous, but it is very accomodating to vegetarians and even vegans (menu clearly marked). The focus is on organic and local ingredients, eschewing refined flour, white sugar, butter, and cream. Essential oils and Gary Null supplements add an interesting twist to the recipes.

The interior is warm dark wood and soft greens. A bar stretches across half the restaurant and is usually manned by a knowledgeable bartender armed with an extraordinary wine and beer list, which includes organic selections. There are always a few interesting beers on tap. Local artists' work is often on display.

Live music on weekends, theme nights, and beer/wine tastings make Aroma Thyme a community as well as a restaurant.

And I haven't even told you about the food! I have trouble going there without ordering the Puree of Organic Sweet Potato & Yellow Curry Soup and the Organic Mesclun salad with Grated Golden Beets, Praline Walnuts & Tarragon Dressing. That alone could be a meal but I never stop there. There are always interesting specials (at least one veg-friendly). The seitan cutlets with Asparagus, Smoked Black Pepper and Roasted Tomatoes is a delicious standby if the specials don't interest me. The whole wheat thin crust pizzas are delicious for a lighter choice.

Save room for dessert - in particular, the Chocolate Ganache Torte, which is vegan and deceptively simple (the only ingredients are raw cocoa, coconut oil, and maple syrup plus a few Gary Null supplements) but incredibly rich and tasty. My husband and I can barely finish one thin slice between us.

Aroma Thyme has thrived for four years in a town where a restaurant or store is lucky to last six months. This is a testament to Marcus and Jamie's committment to holistic, high quality food in a convivial atmosphere. If anyone can bring Ellenville back to its Catskill-era glory days, it is these two.

Pros: Outstanding food, Incredible wine list, Friendly staff

Cons: Pricey (but worth it)

Hudson Valley Vegetarian Haven - Edit

My wife and I discovered Aroma Thyme 14 months ago when spending our Valentine's weekend in Saugerties and couldn't have been happier. The food was outstanding as is the wine list. Marcus (chef and owner) took the time to visit our table and gave wonderful recommendations when he was told we are vegan. Aside from how delicious all of the dishes are, what truly stands out is the quality and freshness of the ingredients.

My review only gets better...fast forward a year and my wife and I are again in the Hudson Valley area on Feb. 13th. Well, we probably should have checked their website for when they are open, as it turned out they are closed every Tuesday. We didn't learn this until we reached the front door of the restaurant and found it locked. Seeing us at the door Jamie (owner) came out to explain that they were closed and preparing for tomorrow's Valentine's rush, but when we explained that we had driven two hours to visit Aroma Thyme, she insisted that we come in and eat. We tried to turn down the invitation, but she and Marcus insisted and proceeded to strike up the oven and serve us yet another outstanding meal. It was absolutely amazing. Marcus and Jamie made us feel so welcome and truly are wonderful hosts. We can't thank them enough or recommend more highly their restaurant. We have plans to visit more wineries in June with some friends and have made a trip to Aroma Thyme for dinner our one requirement for the day.

Pros: incredible quality food, friendly service, knowledgeable staff

Return to Ellenville Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Aroma Thyme Bistro closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1181 times since Aug 2007.