Arjuna Health Foods

• Health Store Health Store
Contact 01223 364845

12 Mill Road, Cambridge, England, CB1 2AD

Founded in 1970, Arjuna Wholefoods is Cambridge's oldest vegetarian wholefood shop. We supply all forms of wholefoods (both organic and non-organic) and cater for many special dietary requirements, including vegan and gluten-free.

First Review by corinal

Great and interesting place to shop - Edit

For convenience's sake I usually shop at the health food shop Revital in the town centre (which I have also reviewed) but every time I go out to Arjuna I am struck by how much better it is.

There really are so many great things about it: good range of local produce, staff who are friendly and clearly care about what they're selling, and really tasty fresh vegan foods made in the kitchen upstairs and which change daily. These include cake, salads, quiche, pizza, and many others. I would recommend getting there in the morning or afternoon for these though since they sell out quite quickly (with good reason).

The only things I can find wrong with Arjuna are limitations that are clearly due to its small size, most notably a relatively small selection. But what they do have is nearly always great-- it's clear it's really been selected by people who have tried the foods because they carry some unusual products which I haven't seen even in far larger vegan/wholefoods shops. I've discovered some of my favourite vegan foods via finding them here! However, if you're looking for a specific vegan product, there is a good chance they won't have it due to the small size of the shop, if nothing else. The shop is also fairly dark and cramped, which does give it a somewhat appealing 'earthy' feel but can make it hard to navigate or find what you're looking for easily.

This is probably hoping for too much but it would be great if Arjuna became a fully vegan shop! It's so close, as all the fresh foods are already vegan and apart from a very few things like a tiny dairy section and some of the pre packaged biscuits etc, it's a vegan shop already. I'm unsure as to how the staff slices up vegan/vegetarian and this is probably the key factor. But Arjuna is basically perfect and this would be an easy change that could really make them stand out as one of very few all-vegan shops I've seen in the UK (and never outside of London)!

Updated from previous review on Saturday May 07, 2016

Pros: Great freshly prepared foods, Interesting and unique selection, Friendly staff who care

Cons: Small selection due to size , A bit dark/cramped , Could easily be all-vegan!

Good quality - Edit

Arjuna was the first Health Food shop that I found when I first moved to Cambridge and I have to say that the quality of their products is really good even though a bit pricey.

Nice organic and fresh veggies and tons of vegan products to choose from.

delicious cinnamon bun - Edit

Freshly baked cinnamon buns on the counter today were hard to resist. They had a healthy look about them but we're much softer and flavoursome than I expected. I have no idea how they make them so great! I liked them much more than typical buns, or those heavy, sickly sweet (non vegan) ones at fitzbillies.

Another reason to go back to my favourite grocery shop in Cambridge. I'm always discovering something new there.

Good choice of products - Edit

I am very happy with the choice of vegan products they sell. I go there almost weekly. They have decent range of cooled and frozen products. Also huge range of flours/seeds and decent cosmetics region.

I haven't been very lucky with their cakes/fresh snacks. Didn't get one I would like to buy again so far.

I do find it slightly pricy, but not enough to stop going there.

[I live in Cambridge]

Pros: good offer of tofu & prepared foods, lots of flours and grains

Great shop, amazing choice - Edit

This shop has everything you could wish for as a vegan. Loads of chilled products, cheese, tofu, baking ingredients, cleaning products, alcohol, magazines. The stuff they make is great too. I tried a vegan cheese and rocket pastry and as I work around the corner I will definitely be picking up a stew or similar for lunch.

Pros: Variety, Helpful, Homemade items

Great choice, stressless shopping - Edit

I love this shop - they have a wide range of products, also many raw things, vegan stuff, homemade things such as halwa sweetened with grape juice only, homemade hummus, super tasty homemade vegan cake.. The people you meet there are relaxed and happy and it makes you happy shopping there. I wish I could come more often.

Great shop - Edit

100% vegetarian food store, a 15-minute walk from city centre. Good range of fruit and vegetables, many locally sourced. Organic bread. Home-cooked lunch fare, including stews, hot pasties, salads, soup. Known for its muesli sold in bulk. Baby food and products, fair-trade products, "where possible" vegan and organic, against animal testing, ethical business, supports community. Open Monday-Saturday. www.arjunawholefoods.co.uk
During my stay in Cambridge I had several of their homemade takeaways: vegetable tagine on rice, lentil soup, carrot-coriander soup, etc.

Pros: tasty takeaway food, big selection

Love it! - Edit

I love this shop and could have spent a fortune there!
My first visit was at the weekend and was not disappointed.

Arjuna have a great selection of vegan products and their chilled section is fab. The homemade snack section was also great and I hugely recommend the 'Mushroom & Sage Roll'. My husband loves sausage rolls (he's not been converted to veg yet!), but really liked this and I loved it!

They also sold Swedish Glace 'ice-cream' cones individually for about £1.35, which is great to know :-)

The staff were really friendly, chatty and helpful. Definately going back again!

Pros: Lovely Staff, Great choice, Perfect!

Cons: None!

Homey co-opy feeling - Edit

I love this place. I walk in and feel at home. Lots of selection, lots of organic, tons of vegan options. Great fresh bread (vegan!). The marinated tofu chunks are amazing. And they have tree-friendly toilet paper, a large selection of cleaning products, and compostable garbage bags. Oh and a wonderful deli section!

Pros: Wide selection, Great atmosphere, Nice deli

Cons: Not downtown

Return to Cambridge Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Arjuna Health Foods closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2344 times since Aug 2007.