Archie Browns Cafe

Contact 01736-362828

Bread Street, Penzance, Cornwall, UK, Penzance, England, TR18 2EQ

Vegetarian cafe with a health food shop downstairs. Cafe cooks fresh vegan and vegetarian food every day from where possible locally sourced and organic produce. Daily changing menu. Artistic work showcased on the walls. Mon-Sat 9:30am-5:00pm

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Organic, Beer/Wine

First Review by Sernicki

Don't bother for breakfast - Edit

Tasteless english breakfast. English breakfast can be really good but not at Archie Brown's. We went there several times during our stay in Penzance, out of lack of options.

I deeply disliked one of the cakes and couldn't finish it.

Staff was nice.

OK if you don't have an option. For lunch there was more choice and the pictures look pretty colorful but I didn't try it.

Pros: hav vegan options

Cons: tasteless, extremely limited breakfast options

Best in Pz for veggie & vegan - Edit

Favourite eating place in Penzance, great quality, good choice for veggie and vegan diets, and friendly staff. A
real shame not open in evenings!

Pros: good choice and quality.

Cons: can get busy, closed in evenings.

Eclectic Spot in Cornwall - Edit

My friend and I were striking out on finding vegan food in Penzance while on a trip there last week, so after asking multiple shops in town where we could find a place with vegan options - Archie Brown's it was. You have to walk through a health food shop to get upstairs where the restaurant is at. Cool style, spot for kids, lots of specials. We both ordered the sweet potato & broccoli burger which came on one slice of bread, tomato, and tofu on top. It also came with a small side salad. The burger and salad were both great. The tofu, however, resembled meat far too much for me as far as the taste went, that I couldn't even eat it. It tasted exactly like ham, which I haven't eaten in over 5 years. That being said, maybe someone who hasn't transitioned from eating meat to eating a vegan diet yet would find it perfect. There were a few different vegan items in their desserts selection, and lots of different smoothies and juices for what seemed like reasonable prices. Would definitely go back again!

Pros: Reasonably Priced, Lots of Vegan Options, Great Food

Cons: Serves Animal Products

Delicious! - Edit

We had a lovely breakfast. There are loads of vegan options on the menu. The milkshakes and cakes are great too. Wi be going back to try the lunch menu

Pros: Plenty for vegans, Lovely Staff, Cosy Devore with subtle music

Nice, but not spectacular - Edit

We made a stop in Archie Brown's for tea and cake, and it was nice but nothing special. The service was a bit confused and hectic - it took a while to get our drinks, and there was a mistake in our order. It wasn't a very relaxing place to sit because the staff seemed so overwhelmed - perhaps it was a particularly busy day.

We ordered two raw cheesecakes, and they were ok but quite small for £3 each - I wouldn't really recommend them for that reason.

Pros: Good range of vegan cakes

Cons: Hectic service, Overpriced raw cakes

Solid, but nothing special - Edit

Traveling in Cornwall you can't be very picky when eating out, since there aren't many vegan or vegetarian restaurants.
Archie Browns Cafe was absolutely solid and alright in my opinion, but not better than that.
When I visited Archie's it wasn't crowded, but still quite noisy and, yes, the food wasn't as warm as it should be at best.
Yet, all of that ranged reasonably within the scope. My food, a quiche with some side dishes like lentils, beet roots and so on, still was pretty good. Nothing to become euphoric about, yet tasty; especially I liked the idea of sprinkling various seeds on top of it.
My dessert was more OK that good.
The service was also nothing to complain about.
There are 'clouds' hanging from the ceiling; some stuffed cloth which looked pretty dusty - like it would start to rain any moment. My read is that once the clouds were white fair weather clouds which turned darker over the years - maybe symbolic for the whole cafe.

Good Vegan Selection - Edit

Archie Browns Cafe is well worth a visit if you are in Cornwall. They have a good selection of food on the menu with specials also available, all of which were moderately priced and under £10. Myself and my girlfriend decided to order the falafel and the curried cauliflower and leek fernatta with salad, which were both delicious, the salad in particularly was superb. They also do a juice of the week, which was very refreshing. There is plenty of seating available but if I did have a con it would have to be the noisy environment, which spoilt the experience of eating there slightly. It is also worth checking out the superb health store downstairs which has a variety of vegan and gluten free options such as wholefood, tofu and cheeses.

Pros: Good Vegan Choice, Inexpensive, Health Store

Cons: Noisy

Don't Bother - Edit

Well I can write and write and write about this place and certainly won't be good either. I am the kind of person who says it how it is and no lies. Walked in and it was very busy and noisy which kind of was allready putting me off. We just managed to find a seat only having to wait for a few minutes which was ok. We had to go back to the till to place our order which there was 4 people allready waiting. I don't mind waiting but it was so busy they will either in the kitchen or running around collecting plates. We finally got to the front where we were greeted by the cashier who took our order. Sat down and waited. By the time w had our meal come I had such a headache I allmost got up and walked off. One bloke a few tables up from me was shouting, I allmost got up and allmost old him to lower his loud mouth down. Finally our food came. It took like cheap school dinners and i mean cheap school dinners. The bit of crated carrots were ok and the side salad was ok. The vegan cananoli looked gross. I cut in to it and it was all soggy like no pasta was there. Bit it in to it and it was hardly warm. Oh dear what a huge disappointment as we got d it was a good place to go. As i am more of a cake person. I had to have the vegan orange cake. When I managed to order one from the cashier which took me a while waiting to be served she brought it over and I tucked in to it. Orange hmmmmmmmm I finally found some orange taste. If it says it's an orange cake then it has to taste more of orange and with real orange zest tin the cake. The cake was so dry I allmost asked for a straw as i could not use my fork. Well i say the food the whole package was awful. I have no idea why it was so busy and people were turning away as they could not find a seat. If i can find a word that can explain how bad the food was I would the it out. Would I go back there again? No. Would you need to pay me to go there? No never again. I would rather stick pins in my eyes.

Pros: Nothing, Nothing , Nothing

Cons: Food Is Awfull , Way To Noisy , Rubbish

Archie Browns - Edit

Well not many Veggie or Vegan places in Cornwall to choose from. It's the best place to go in Penzance but food can be lukewarm breakfast and at lunchtime very very noisy, it's pretty heavy veggie food and not enough Vegan choices. Bright fun and airy with a great shop downstairs

Pros: Central location, Great shop, Choice

Cons: Noisy, Lukewarm food, overpriced

Loved it! - Edit

Excellent choice. I felt really happy and satisfied after going here. Nice vegan options and salad available. Fresh juices and smoothies. Vegan cakes.
Was really busy, but there are lots of tables.
Good health food store downstairs with raw food selections.
Well worth a visit!

Pros: good vegan options, fair prices, health food store down stairs

Cons: not open in the evening

Excellent food and service - Edit

A little pricey for me to use for daily lunch but an excellent daytime vegetarian/vegan restaurant which I will use regularly to treat myself. Excellent food, friendly staff, lovely venue. Well stocked wholefood store on ground floor.

Pros: Excellent Food, Friendly staff, Lovely venue

Cons: Pricey for daily lunch, Disabled access?

Veggie heaven in the heart of Cornwall - Edit

A little bit difficult to find, but once I arrived it was most definitely worth the effort. Excellent food. Highly recommend the Falafel, Homity Pie and if the mint and pesto Gnocchi is on as a special it is a must have! There was eight of us, all vegetarian and to our surprise the service was very quick considering we had a large variety of dishes. The cakes were also delicious. All in all it had a lovely atmosphere, friendly service and amazing food.

At the end of the line... - Edit

...the train line, that is, is Penzance and Archie Brown's. Great place. Lovely food. Friendly staff. Good views of the seagulls on the roofs across the road. When you are next in Cornwall, or if you live there, don't miss it.

Pros: Friendly, Tasty food, Seagulls

Excellent food and very kind staff - Edit

The food in this restaurant is absolutely great, tasty and light at the same time. I remember a great vegan salad, beans sandwich, great tropical or blueberries smoothies, fantastic vegan chocolate cakes, and a very good breakfast with vegan sausages and bacon. A very nice atmosphere, very smiling waiters and waitresses, always ready to ask you if you enjoyed the meal or you need a help. Mainly vegan.

Great food - Edit

Archie browns is one of our favourite vegetarian restaurants in Cornwall.

The menu is delicious and vast with delicious cakes and treats for afterwards.
The food is always fresh, and the side salads are inspiring.

The coffee is also really good and fairtrade.

and

The staff are really friendly, its also a great family place.

And you will get caught up in its well stocked health food store underneath

Pros: good portions, nice coffee, yummy salads

Contributions +87

Worth a visit - Edit

If you happen to be in this neck of the woods then make sure you pop in and support this place. Good food and good service. As a vegan i ate well and had a good soya latte.

Pros: Clean, Good prices, Vegan options

Return to Penzance Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Archie Browns Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1943 times since Aug 2007.