Archana

Contact 028-90323713

53 Dublin Road, Belfast, Northern Ireland, BT2 7HE

Serves meat, vegan options available. Has an extensive vegetarian menu with vegan items labeled. Punjabi specialties. This place was formerly 2 separate restaurants with the upstairs being vegetarian only but had to change the set up as there wasn't enough demand for veg food in Belfast. Main meals start at around £6.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Indian, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by matiman

Excellent food and service - Edit

I had difficulty choosing what to eat here as the vegan menu is so extensive! All vegan options were clearly marked on the menu. My starter and main were both absolutely delicious, and I was impressed that our server remembered that I had ordered vegan and when he brought over the poppadoms and pickles he remembered to flag up that one of the four dips wasn't vegan without me even asking. Excellent experience, would definitely go back.

Pros: Delicious food, Server understood veganism, Good sized portions

Cons: Downstairs felt a little cramped

Great food with separate veggie and vegan menus - Edit

We had a really lovely meal here and very attentive staff who knew their vegan dietary requirements well. Although meat is also served, they have extensive and interesting vegetarian and vegan menus with plenty of choice. The food was very tasty and large portions. Not 'cheap' but certainly not expensive and excellent value for money. We went a second time as it was so tasty and vegan places to eat in Belfast, although not rare, are not hugely common either. Would recommend highly!

Pros: Good vegan choice, Friendly staff, Very tasty, interesting food

Good vegan food, friendly welcome - Edit

Belfast is pretty sparse for vegan options aside from the chain type Zizzi / Pizza Express restaurants and we wanted to try somewhere independent while we were there. Thinking we couldn't go wrong with an Indian and seeing that the vegetarian section of their menu was mostly vegan we took a short taxi ride from our hotel to give it try.

The food was good, everything vegan was clearly marked and the waiter / owner was happy to confirm which were suitable and was knowledgeable about vegan food. Even the naan bread was vegan! There were some unusual dishes I'd not seen before, I ended up a with a spinach and sweetcorn curry which I wasn't sure about when I ordered it, but really enjoyed it when it came. Well worth a visit if you're staying in Belfast.

Well located and a nice mood lit environment.

Pros: Extensive vegan options, clearly marked, Inexpensive, Vegan naan bread

Cons: Meat, Dairy

Perfection & Veggie & Vegan Heaven! - Edit

Archana is a beautiful two storey restaurant decorated in warm, rich colours. Ambience is invitingly comfortable and staff superb. I wanted to try Archana for two reasons. I heard from friends the Indian food served in Archana is fabulous plus they offer a huge selection of Vegetarian and Vegan dishes. I was not disappointed.

We ordered wine from their menu which they didn't have in stock. So a Waiter actually left Archana and went down the street to their sister restaurant Kitch to pick up the bottle of wine we wanted! Now this really is top class service! Plus as soon as I heard Archana and Kitch are owned by the same family I knew I was going to be happy. I absolutely love Kitch and think it's currently the best restaurant in Belfast.

We started on complimentary poppadoms and dips which tasted fabulous. I had a main of Saag Alu (mildly spiced potatoes and spinach) with mushroom pilau rice. It was delicious. The best, freshest, most flavoursome Saag Alu I have ever tasted. Portions were generous too. Top marks to Archana and compliments to the Chef as the food was second to none.

I honestly struggled to pick a dish as there are so many vegetarian options and was delighted to see such a huge range of dishes including chickpeas, chillis, aubergines, mixed vegetables and potatoes. It's also brilliant to see extensive vegan options so clearly marked on a menu.

I thoroughly enjoyed my evening in Archana, which has now firmly topped the list of my personal favourite restaurants in Belfast. Great wine, food, Vegetarian options, portion sizes, prices, service and staff. I simply can't wait to return. In my opinion this restaurant is perfection and an absolute Veggie Heaven!

Pros: large range of vegan dishes , large range of vegetarian dishes, serves wine

Good food, so-so service - Edit

We visited Archana many times over our year living in Belfast, and we always enjoyed the food and their familiarity with vegetarian cooking. We usually opted for the 25 pound takeaway set menu, because the service in the restaurant when we sat in was all over the place - sometimes very attentive and helpful, other times slow and disinterested. Things improved after our first few visits, so perhaps they reserve the best service for the "regulars" they recognize rather than new customers.

All of the dishes we tried were delicious (onion bhaji, tarka dal and aloo gobi were favorites), but they definitely tend towards more spice so those with sensitive stomachs may want to request tamer dishes. It also seems worthwhile to clarify when ordering that you would like your food prepared vegan. While vegan-friendly items are marked on the menu, there were a few times we had to send back vegan-marked roti because it was coated with butter before serving.

Pros: Clearly labelled menu, Wide veg*n selection, Easy takeaway

Cons: Sometimes need to clarify veg*n, Spotty service, Use of non-veg ingredients

Fantastic Vegan Experience - Edit

This restaurant has it all for the vegan curry fan. It has a full menu of vegan dishes to choose from with over 20 dishes. I went for the Thali tray which had three curries chosen by the chef, rice, pakora and nan bread. The curries were delicious, full of flavour and hearty. The portions here are big and satisfying. I am a big curry fan and I think this is easily the best vegan curry I have ever had.

The owner was very friendly and chatted to us for a while - he said that they are seeing a big rise in popularity of their vegan dishes and I can see why.

The food is also very good value! I think I paid about £15 for a big tray of food and a large Cobra beer.

Pros: Excellent food, Great value prices, Good service

Great Vegan Selection - Edit

I went to Archana recently, even though I don't like Indian food. It was excellent. I would highly recommend it. Not at all greasy like some Indians. They also do home delivery, so that will be my new monthly treat :) One thing I will mention is that it is a small place. When I walked in with my husband I didn't feel that welcome at first. I thought the staff were rude, but I think that is just there way. They soon warmed up and were helpful. Vegan options are labelled.

Love coming here!! - Edit

I'm in Belfast quite frequently and Northern Ireland is really not an easy country to be a vegetarian in!! The first time I went to Archana it took me about 20 min to choose my food because I'm used to having one vegetarian option when I go out for food. In Archana there is a whole menu for vegetarians and most of that food is also suitable for vegans. I have been to Archana three times now and it has always been a very positive experience! The food is absolutely amazing, especially the Thali and the staff are really nice as well. It is also a perfect place to go to with friends that are not vegetarians because they do have meat options and it's something different anyway so it's not as difficult to convince your friends to go to a vegetarian restaurant with you :)! So all in all I can just really recommend Archana to everybody who would like some choice of vegetarian food in NI and who loves really good Indian food!!

Pros: friendly staff, really nice food, good value

Loved this place - Edit

I cannot recommend this restaurant highly enough. I popped over to Belfast for a long weekend and was looking for some vegan eateries to keep me going. Since there are no fully vegan restaurants in Belfast, we came here after seeing it listed on Happy Cow. There are *lots* of vegan options, and it's so refreshing to see places listing the options as vegan on the menu instead of having to ask the waiters. They also sell Cobra beer and vegan naan bread yippee! The staff were very helpful and knew the ingredients in all of the dishes. I will definitely be returning to Archana the next time I'm in Belfast.

Pros: Menu states 'vegan', Price, Helpful staff

not a good experience - Edit

This restaurant was recommended by a friend. However, I knew that trouble was ahead when I selected the veg thali and was promptly told that it was not available at the weekend. I then ordered a aubergine dish that looked interesting. When it arrived there was so much salt in it that I couldn't eat it, which was a pity because I was very hungry and the underlying spices seemed very nice. I complained to the waiter and he asked if I wanted another one, I said yes as long as there wasn't as much salt. When it arrived it too was very salty and so I left it. They charged me for the dish and I refused to pay, they argued that I had had two portions to which I replied that I couldn't eat either of them. So if you like lots of salt and rude waiters the choice is yours.

Return to Belfast Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Archana closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.