Araya's Vegetarian Place

206-524-4332

5240 University Ave NE (at University District), Seattle, Washington, USA, 98105

Thai vegetarian restaurant relocated here in Apr 2013; previously at 1121 NE 45th St. Offers an all-you-can-eat lunch buffet Mon-Sat. Dinner is a la carte. Food is all vegan. Has a separate bakery that makes both vegan and non-vegan goods. Their second location is in Bellevue. Open Mon-Sun 11:30am-9:00pm.

Category: Vegan, Thai, Buffet, Take-out, Catering

First Review by xbillyx

Great Thai Place - Edit

I've had their Phad Thai, Spring Rolls, Phad See-Iew, and Pot Stickers so far and it was all great! I like the atmosphere and the food. I'll have to try their buffet some time.

Pros: Buffet

Good authentic Thai food - Edit

Nice Thai restaurant with all the usual authentic Thai classics.
green curry was really good and the pad prik king was also good. They have a spicy scale - I asked for 3/5 and it was fine. Could've probably got it a bit spicier

Edgar Gonzalez - Edit

Me gusta este restaurant con su buffet Vegano y la amable atención de todo el personal que labora alla

Pros: lo recomiendo muy bueno y precio favorable cómodo.

Vegan thai food? Yes please! - Edit

Now that I have been there several times, I can confidently give it 5 stars. It truly is amazing!

Thai food is usually off boundaries but a vegan thai restaurant? Any time!
We went there starving but the menu was so large it was hard to pick... We got the avocado curry, the cashew delight and the asparagus hunsa. All were delicious and super tasty. I preferred the hunsa but my husband preferred the avocado curry. That was so creamy and spiced just right although we could have handled more spices. Lots of veggies in all the dishes as well as tofu and seitan. The only con about the food is it cooled down pretty fast and that was a shame because it didn't taste quite the same once it was lukewarm/cool.
The service was great and the food came pretty fast considering the restaurant was busy.
Definitely will be back to try more of their yummy specialties. Would like to see sticky rice on the menu as well.

Pros: All vegan, Tasty, Easy parking

Amazing buffet - Edit

I love their buffet it is amazing!

Delicious Vegan Food - Edit

The choices were amazing, the atmosphere nice. Service was not friendly but the food was worth it. Delightful tastes and smells.
I would like to meet the owner, as she has emailed me and seemed to be a very friendly person, doubt she appreciates her employees ignoring customers.

Pros: Great choices, Delicious, Nice Atmosphere

Cons: Poor service, Unfriendly, Ignored my requests

Om nom nom - Edit

Have only had lunch buffet twice now but oh my is it yummy and FULLY vegan! As new vegans this place has become a favorite for both my husband and myself. One of our comfort food places. We are eager to try dinner and regular items off the menu. We tend to overeat at the buffet [blush] and think having leftovers to take home will be more our speed. This has been a great find as we are not big fans of eating tons of faux or overly processed foods and prefer to eat at places that just make their normal cuisine vegan by omitting meat, dairy etc. Also, I feel like they keep their use of sodium in check. Unlike some other places, I'm not finding myself dying of thirst the rest of the day. The regular water they serve you tastes fantastic! I mention this because as long time filtered water drinkers at home, regular water at restaurants can taste funky to us and I am super picky, usually opting for a sparkling water when out. The water here is clean and fresh tasting and they bring you a carafe for the table.

We can't wait for them to re-open in Bellevue!!

Pros: Yummy, great deal, friendly

Lots of noms, Great value - Edit

Lunch Buffet was very good, even better price. Not top of the line Thai if you break it down into individual dishes from the buffet (I didn't have anything but the buffet), but still delicious and highly enjoyable all around. You can add as much peanut sauce or hot sauce as you want and there is a decent selection, including sticky rice with coconut milk dessert. I was very happy here!

Pros: Price, Selection, Sauces

Good food. Good Lunch Buffet. Cell might not work. - Edit

Good food. Good Lunch Buffet. Cell phone might not work inside the restaurant (metal building).

Parking on street. Nearby other veg. store and food places.

They might have some special-hour pricing.

Updated from previous review on Saturday January 03, 2015

Pros: Tasty, Not too expensive, Good buffet

Cons: Sometimes too sweet, Cell phone may not work, Select items pricey

To die for. - Edit

This is one of my fav restaurants of all time. Thai food is my favourite cuisine and this place does it real well. The buffet is very fresh. The spring rolls are fantastic. Pad Thai is amazing. Everything is fresh. The food is keep coming out. If you are vegan and you like Thai food, you will love it.

Good Thai - Edit

We only had the lunch buffet here. The selection was limited but what they had was pretty good. Nothing to brag about but a decent feed. The place is nice and clean and it appeared that the buffet was regularly attended to by the staff.

A tip: Bring your gas mask if you come to University Ave and don't want to get stoned on second hand smoke. Or breathe in deeply - whatever floats your boat.

Pros: Fair price for tasty Thai

Best Thai! - Edit

Araya's is great. Their new location on the ave is classy but unpretentious. The staff is always friendly and the food is GREAT. The lunch buffet is such a good deal at only 10 dollars and the peanut sauce is so good that since I don't live in Seattle I like to get a to go order and freeze it at home.

The cocktails are fun and tasty too!

Pros: good value, delicious, friendly

updated - Edit

Arayas is good. They will omit things you are not fond of. I think they buy dumplings and some other standards, so not everything is housemade. But it is very good and worth a visit. Like many places, it can depend on the day and who is working in the back or front. The Bellevue spot had great people up front.

Pros: Vegan Thai , ,

Pretty good - Edit

Not the best Thai food I've ever had, but not the worst. It lacks authenticity a bit, especially when it comes to the lunch buffet. The décor is very pretty however and the overall vibe is nice. The waitstaff is not unpleasant. It is one of those restaurants that has not made a huge impact on me either way, but if I'm craving Thai food I will probably choose it because there's no other vegan Thai places around and it's easier than trying to ask all the questions and make all the specifications, at a place that is not vegan! Thanks to Araya's place though I discovered Aloe juice :)

Pros: decor and atmosphere is very nice, offers all you can eat vegan buffet

Cons: food is unmemorable, sometimes bland

It's always the same - Edit

This is a great Thai Vegan restaurant, the food is very tasteful the peanut sauce is outstanding. We go for the lunch buffet about once a month we would go more often but, the only problem I have is they always have the same items and it gets very boring after a while.

Updated from previous review on Saturday March 29, 2014

Pros: Tasty, Cost

Cons: Buffet always the same

Best Thai Ever - Edit

I went to Araya's years ago and it made a lasting impression. If I ever make it back to Seattle it'll be the first place I go!

Good except entrees - Edit

The appetizers and soups at this place are AMAZING!!! I can't vouch for the salad as I've never had salad there. I can caution people away from the entrees. While they serve GIANT portions, the entrees tend to be greasy with vegetable under- or over-cooked. Service is friendly, though at busy times they are understaffed. Don't come here at a peak time if you are in a hurry.

Pros: Parking, Lots of yummy options

Cons: Entrees, Slow service

Cheap tasty buffet! - Edit

We weren't sure what to order when we got here so we got the buffet. Plus for some reason all the buffets we came across in Seattle are super cheap. Not like Edmonton where you pay literally double the price. Two of us ate an amazing amount of food for under $25 including tip.
The buffet was a great mix of different dishes, but the one that stood out was the orangey-red soup. It had mushrooms and onions and was just the right amount of spicy and citrusy. I want all of it.
We didn't try the desserts because we were determined to make it to two different bakeries after eating here but they looked good. I'll be back next time I am in Seattle.

Pros: Cheap buffet, The soup! , Beautiful bathroom deco

Cons: Weird to have to be 21+ for kombucha

Return to Seattle Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Araya's Vegetarian Place closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.