Arawy

Contact 02-2244517

152 Dinso Road (at opposite City Hall, near 7-Eleven), Bangkok, Thailand,

Small, casual cafe. Menu consists of many mockmeat dishes, everything dairy-free. Food is prepared in the morning and sits out all day. Some dishes may contain MSG. Made popular by Lonely Planet, though just a simple/standard Jay place. Can get busy. Note: Foreign customers may get charged differently than locals. Confirmed open April 2012. Open Mon-Sun 7:00am-7:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Thai, Fast food

First Review by condekedar

Cheap mock meat Thai - Edit

Cheap and easy, pick by pointing at what you want. There are usually several curries on offer, and lots of mock meat and tofu bits and pieces. It's not fancy - just your typical Thai street food style place.

Pros: Cheap, Tasty

Not good, not good at all - Edit

This is one of those small buddhist places that normally charge 30 baht for a plate of rice and 2 items except this one charges 30 baht per item and another 10 baht for the rice. The old woman working there unfriendly and she tries to sell you stuff you don't want. The food we got was quite boring and the mock meat stuff was fried to cinders and was just hard and not tasty. But to be fair, they had a really big variety of stuff and I just tried 3 of them, so there is a chance of something good being amongst it.

The whole walls are full of lonely planet features so I think that got to their head a little.

Pros: Vegan food

Cons: not yummy, unfriendly, rip you off

hit or miss/don't bother - Edit

Went there again recently just to try again. Really don't bother unless you enjoy being cheated and insulted! Won't every go there again... If the younger guy is serving you then its a normal price. If the older lady is serving than its "falang" price. Even when I spoke Thai with her she overcharged me. Food is ok and some quite tasty but I give it a miss nowadays as I prefer not to be overcharged.
Updated from previous review on Saturday December 22, 2012

Cons: they cheat you on the price, insult you when you beg to differ, lie to you about the price when you ask

disappointing - Edit

I found this place on HappyCow and had little higher expectations due to some of the reviews. It's a typical hole in the wall veggie place. I came early in the morning (1030am) and the food was already cold. I opted for some green veggies (open heart), and they were salty, overcooked, and may have had MSG. The rice was alright. Overall, nothing special. Unless you are big on mock meats, best to avoid this place.
I also got charged 45baht for rice and the small dish of green veggies. Seems like a lot for this kind of place so I also wonder if I was charged a tourist price.

Cons: Not freshly prepared, Possible MSG

Not 'Arawy' At All - Edit

Having visited this place last time I was in Bangkok, I made the 45-minute trek out to Th Din So to partake in some vegan goodness again. Apart from the fact that my half-bowl of 'soup' was basically cooked-beyond-recognition mushy vegetables in a brine-flavoured liquid, and the 'red curry' was a few pieces of tofu in overly-sugared coconut milk, the owner/operator charged me 100 baht for the 'pleasure' (i.e. five times as much as she charged the local diner in front of me, who had the same number of dishes with the addition of a drink). If you like to be ripped off, then this is the place to come!

Pros: Vegetarian food, Centrally located

Cons: Hugely overpriced, Food between poor and average, Woman rips off 'farang'

Best in Town - Edit

I've been going to this place for years and for me it just keeps getting better. Open early morning till 8pm and frequented by all the locals, this place has a wide array of gorgeous vegan foods at good prices, the family are absolutly lovely.
If your of the camp that foods are sometimes not hot enough and the huge pans of delight are left sitting all day, this is quite the norm in Thailand and maybe you should stick to the Khoa San!

Pros: Fabulous Food, Lovely people, Vegan

that's more like it! - Edit

Wow, I had a different experience from the rest of the folks... keeping in mind that those reviews were from four years ago, I found the food pretty darn delicious. The "Nam ya" veggie soup is one of my fave Issan dishes and it was really perfect here, also had a few others dishes and found them to be less-than-oily. What's funny is that they have over a dozen call outs from the various editions of Lonely Planet adorning their walls quite prominently... in some they call it "the best" as well as the first, others don't bestow that title.

Note sure if it really is the best but I'd definitely recommend it... I also got friendly service, unlike another reviewer. Give it a try, at least, it's easy to find and within walking distance of a nice park.

Pros: delicious, cheap, cute

Oily, not fresh - Edit

Most of the food here is pre-made and sits in vats all day. There is a limited variety and, after trying two different dishes, I left unsatisfied. The food is oily, not fresh, and luke-warm in temperature. I would not recommend this place, given the literally hundreds of Thai joints and street stalls selling fresh, light and varied classic vegan dishes.

Cons: Pre-made, Oily, Cold

Mock meat. - Edit

They serve mostly 'mock meat' dishes, which is deep fried and cold.
Cold oily food is not for me so I won't be return.

Pros: Cheap

Cons: Hygene, Staff not very friendly

Return to Bangkok Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Arawy closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3019 times since Aug 2007.