Aquarius

40 Rue de Gergovie (at Arrondissement 14, Metro: Pernety), Paris, France, 75014

Small veggie restaurant. Food is mostly lacto-vegetarian with dairy, and limited to no vegan options. Has organic beer and wine. Open Mon-Sat 12:00pm-2:00pm, Mon-Sat 7:00pm-10:30pm.

Category: Lacto, Ovo, Organic, Beer/Wine

First Review by SarkeBeeley

old school ovo lacto - Edit

The place is cute, and there is a nice vibe, it seemed that they all knew each other, almost like in Amélie :)
The food was ok, they could have more vegan options indeed.

Pros: nice vibe, nice wine, nice window

Cons: a lot of dairy

Not worth going there in purpose (for vegans) - Edit

After reading the previous reviews I was hesitating to go to this restaurant for a while; but I finally did.

To me, it's a mixture of many of the reviews we already have:

- Few Vegan options (there are not just 1 or 2 plates; but perhaps 3 or 4 salads, and 3 main dishes). Also, the day of my visit (Jan. 6th, 2016) the Plate of the Day was not vegan; so I ordered from the regular menu.

- Tastewise, the vegan food is just ok. Very simple and not exciting at all (from the menu it seems to be much better for vegetarians). Also, portions are a bit small.

- The staff is also ok. Not rude at all; but not super friendly either.

- The interior is a bit vintage; but I found it to be pleasant.

Hope it helps.

Pros: vegan options

Cons: food is nothing special, portions are a bit small

OK - Edit

I went there with an omni friend once. The place looks old, it gives a sad atmosphere. It feels a bit like you were in your old aunty's kitchen but the waiter was friendly and the food was good. The (sadly) narrow vegan choices were nice, simple but very tasty. I understood that everything was homemade.
My friend was very surprised by her seitan-based meal and loved it, she said she was no longer afraid of having a meal without meat (yeay!) We had a great time anyway but the place steel gives me the creeps ^^

Pros: Good simple food, Not Expensive

Cons: Old-Fashioned Place, Rare Vegan Options

pleasant restaurant - Edit

vegan options. good and interesting food. in run down area. worth hunting out. had lunch here while en route from Montparnasse station to aurport.

Pros: vegan options non pretentious.

Cons: a little hard to find

Fair Vegeterian food but... - Edit

This place offers fair Vegeterian food.
Unfortunately the place looks old and stucked in the 70's.
I went there 3 times but I stopped it ; I found the staff unfriendly. I don't go to restaurants to see closed faces and lack of smiles.
Prices are OK.

Super Cheap Tasty Veg Food - Edit

This little restaurant was is so cute and they decor is so fun and arty, I love it. The food I had was super tasty and pretty cheap for Paris. I recommend checking this restaurant out for sure - if you have time to waste though, when I was there they were very busy with just one waiter (possibly the owner) and he was run off his feet - I had the time to waste so it was fine.

Pros: Inexpensive, Delicious Food, Good Location

Cons: Understaffed , Limited Vegan options

Really good place - Edit

Although this is not a vegan restaurant, they always have 1 or 2 vegan options, and of the several times I've eaten here, I've always loved the vegan dishes I've had. The staff is often busy, but they are very friendly and helpful. The atmosphere is interesting and a bit funky in a really nice, artful way.

Pros: Few but good vegan options, quiet, friendly

Fresh and simple - Edit

I wouldn't make a special trip for this place but it was a good option when I was in the area. The food was fresh and simple. The service was prompt but not all that warm or welcoming. Still, not a bad option in the area.

Not very vegan-friendly but couscous was good - Edit

I tried Aquarius once but I think this will be my only time since the restaurant offers very few vegan options. The only vegan thing I could have was their couscous which nevertheless, was very good and varied. However, no vegan dessert at all... The staff was relatively friendly and the place is pleasant.

Pros: couscous is good and generous, pleasant place

Cons: very few vegan options, no vegan dessert

A place to come back - Edit

They have an interesting menu and the food is good. Not a lot of vegan option.
Prices are reasonable.

Very good, simple and not expensive. - Edit

Good food; vegan options available. Friendly staff, good value. Nice fat cat wandering around.
We ate there 3 times as was very close to our hotel.

Pros: Good food, Good value, friendly staff

Cons: location away from city center

Dissapointing - Edit

I've been twice to Aquarius. As a vegan the first time, I had the (vegan) Indian plate, a selection of small dishes inspired by India. I found most dishes uninspiring, prepared without imagination or flair and without proper Indian spices.
The second time I had the Ocean salad (or similar name), combining different see weeds and algae. It was ok, but again the salad wasn't seasoned, no vinaigrette, basically a few spoonful of various algae around a plate of green salad. Plus that second time we had a little annoying issue with the drink order, having asked specifically for Roiibos tea (or red tea) and being served something that contained black tea and then having to argue with the waitress about it.
We will not go back to Aquarius. It might be ok as vegetarian restaurant and I understand that it has been around for a while, but as a vegan, there are many better alternatives managed by passionate vegan cooks who are doing much more than vegetable on a plate, who are trying to really create tasty and exciting food. If Aquarius was cheaper, it could at least redeem itself on a price/quality basis, but it's not even cheap.

Pros: Good location in the 14th district, Interesting decoration

Cons: Uninspired cooking, Unexperienced staff, Too pricy for what you get

Disappointed - Edit

The first times I went there, I really liked it : "pâté végétal", "feuilletés aux pleurottes"... almost everything seemed vegan and tasted nice.
Then they changed the menu and marked clearly what is vegan and what is not : actually, they put eggs and cream in virtually anything and only two dishes remain available for vegans.
The last time I went, I was also extremely disappointed by the food : it did not taste particularly good, and this goes for the vegan meal and my sister's vegetarian meal.
Besides, they do not seem to care about seasonal food (tomatoes and zucchinis in the middle of winter...)
It's a pity because I live right next to it but I don't think I will go there again.

Just if you are in the neighborhood... - Edit

It's not bad, but it's not worth making a detour to eat there. The place seems to have remained stuck in the 70s. It is very cheesy ... It is a vegetarian food without any originality, but we have enough to eat.

Pros: Good portions

Cons: Noisy

Pricey but great atmosphere - Edit

My partner and I went here the other day while on holiday. It was our first night and we arrived late so couldn't be bothered quibbling over prices and decided to splurge a bit. The restaurant is slightly crowded but I took that as a good sign - there was never an empty table. It had very cute decor with carved wood tables with candles and flowers. The waitress spoke no English but with our little French and some general gesticulating we didn't have any trouble ordering. The menu had English descriptions which made it much easier for us. The vegan items on the menu were clearly marked which I suppose must have been a recent change as other reviews have said they had to ask.

We ordered the raviolis for a starter which were delicious and packed with flavour and came with a small side salad. For mains I got the mushroom tart and my partner ordered a meatless loaf. My tart was slightly dry but the mushrooms were delicious and the side vegetables - seasoned carrots in sauce and zuccini/courgette in tomato sauce - were very nice. My partner enjoyed his loaf slice which he had with the same carrots as I had and some roast potatoes. Even though we were quite stuffed we got a slice of chocolate gateau which was also very tasty.

My only real complaint was the price. On top of our food my parter ordered a small glass of cidre and altogether the bill came to over 40 euros which I felt was a bit extortionate. However, it was our first night in Paris and if you don't mind splashing out a bit the food is pretty good, the staff are lovely, and the experience feels very 'French'.

Pros: Lovely staff, Clearly marked vegan, Large portions

Cons: Expensive

Delicious food - Edit

A charming place in Montparnasse. The staff is friendly, and the food tastes great. There are many fine vegan choices, and the staff seems quite willing to accomodate vegans. Even so, vegans should be aggressive here--we were served one dish that we were suspicious about, and waiter then realized that we were served something with dairy in it by mistake, though promptly made amends.

Pros: great taste, charm

Cons: vegans need caution

Yummy Veggie Food in Paris!!! - Edit

We're a veggie and veggie-friendly spouse and in Paris the last week in APril 2012. Both of us enjoyed our food. Was able to do several courses with wine affordably and sooo very happy to have had soup! Seriously, can only trust veggie-only places to truely use only veggie broth and this was very delish (even with needing a little more seasoning). My husband commented later in trip that he was more pleased and full with their meal then at other places later on in our trip. Got there at openning so no trouble getting seated, staff was very helpful, waitress' english was better than she believed it to be (and our jet lagged french was prob'ly worse). Cannot recomend it enough! Reminds you of the college town "hippie" places we've all been to and enjoyed the food at (decor and food wise!)

Pros: Great Food, Good Prices

Excellent - Edit

I ate at this restaurant tonight. In France, it's usually quite difficult to be vegetarian. In restaurants, and particularly in lunch-canteens, the vegetarian dish is at best the entire dish with the meat left out. Result: I'm always still hungry after lunch/dinner and need to get a snack to satisfy my hunger. Not so here. For the first time in my life, I leave a French restaurant happy and had more than enough food. Considering the high quality and location in central Paris, the price is reasonable: 20€ (March 2012) for a three-course dinner with soup, lasagne and chocolate pie with cream (all but the cream were okay for vegans, I think). They also had a much better option for non-alcoholic drinks than most restaurants do. Usually I pay 2 euro for a glass of juice from a carton one can buy at ALDI for 1 euro; here I got delicious fresh juice (several fruits available), a bit expensive but worth the money. In summary, I can strongly recommend this restaurant!

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff, big portions

Cons: possibly too big portions for some

Return to Paris Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Aquarius closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.