Aoi Sora Organic Cafe

Contact 011-623-3887

Chuo Ward, Minami 1 Jonishi, 22-1-7, Sapporo, Japan, 064-0801

Organic restaurant offering plate lunches at around Y1000 each, including a quiche plate and a millet-fish plate. Also sweets. Staff speaks English. Directions: Look for the sign with the picture of blue sky and "Bio Organic Cafe." Please confirm open hours and inform HappyCow. Open Mon-Wed 11:00am-6:00pm, Fri-Sun 11:00am-6:00pm. Last order at 5pm unless prior notice is given.

Category: Vegan, Japanese, Macrobiotic, Organic, Beer/Wine

First Review by Gingerhippie

Favourite spot in Sapporo - Edit

I also found this place a little tricky to find, but it was worth the perseverance! There is a great ambiance with very friendly staff. I had the avocado salad, which came with soup, and a half portion of chocolate cake with soy ice cream. Everything was delicious! I'll definitely be returning before my stay in Sapporo ends. Prices were very fair too.

Wonderful place - Edit

It is rather uncommon in Japan to be vegan I guess because everyone was supprised I did not eat meat nor dairy. :) So I searched online and found this information on HappyCow. It is a very nice place, the staff were communicative (contrary to all the other restaurants I have been to in Sapporo) and helpful. The dish was delicious and unlike all the other places, they served brown rice instead of white one. It wasn't so greasy as everywhere else (I would call everything that I was served before an oil soup :P). I took some muffin with me when I left. I definitely recommend this place.

They are usually closed on Thursdays. I was lucky they were open as an exception this time. :)

Pros: great food, good value, friendly staff

Nice place - Edit

I probably went there at the wrong time. No one spoke English and no English menu. After a few minutes of trying to communicate, we finally were finally be able to order the small set and the avocado plate. I like the latter one a bit better. No mock fish burger that someone raved about but the food was good. The vegan ice-cream was lovely. Gluten-free desserts available.

Dinner Time - Edit

Went to this place twice last week. It's really great. Two things to add to previous reviews:

1) The owner told us he prefers reservations for dinner. If there's only one or two of you he might serve you without a reservation, but more than that and you might have trouble. If you have a group or you want to make sure you're not disappointed, make sure to call ahead for dinner. Maybe this is due to having a limited stock of fresh ingredients? Lunch time is fine without reservations.

2) I think the best way to find locations in Japan using Google maps is by searching for the phone number. This almost always turns up the correct location in my experience (including for Aoi Sora last week). Using the address is problematic because if the order is mixed up sometimes Google maps doesn't recognize it. No such issues with the phone number.
Updated from previous review on Saturday August 09, 2014

Beautiful Place and Food - Edit

I was so fortunate to be able to eat here. It's not as hard to find as it's made out to be. Just exit out of Exit 6 from Maruyama Koen subway station and turn right - walk about four block - crossing one substantially-sized street, then make a right. Halfway down that little block on the left is a sort of alley/street. Make a left into that alley and you'll see the restaurant more than halfway down the alley on the left.

Food is fantastic and the owner / chef is kind and speaks English. I had set menu which had a sort of tofu - so just adequate in the protein department - could have done with more vegan protein. He sells vegan ice cream! The only place I've seen in Japan with it outside of Tokyo.

Definitely don't put off going here. It's near a great park and large Shinto shrine complex in Maruyama Park. To go to the park just back track towards the trees the opposite direction out of Exit 6 from Maruyama Station (make a left instead of a right out of the exit).

Pros: Fantastic food, kind owner, vegan ice cream

Cons: could do with more vegan protein (tofu) in set men, not cheap but not expensive

Really great spot in Sapporo - Edit

I really enjoyed this restaurant/cafe. It´s very chill and pretty. The food was pretty good. The couple running it even sell products like vegan meat and ice cream.

I read that people have a hard time finding it. I went with a Japanese friend and it was very close to the subway.
Although I don´t really remember the road, take the Tozai line to Maruyama Koen Mae and ask someone when you get off. It was only a 7-10minutes walk from the Maruyama Koen station, exit 6.

Pros: Close to subway, Great invironment, Vegan

Cons: You might have to ask for directions

Great restaurant / Advice on finding it - Edit

Everyone has already said how great this restaurant is, and it certainly lived up to it for me - the food, the staff and the general atmosphere. However, a warning about the directions. A review further down mentions that it's location is wrong, and a comment says that it's been fixed. If you're using the Happycow app, don't click "Directions" as it will take you to the wrong place. Also, don't copy the address and paste it into Google Maps, as it will give another wrong location. The only way is to click on "Location" and then when it loads in Google Maps, click "Directions" from there. I'm not sure why it is, but it cost me over an hour in sub-zero temperatures trying to find it, and the nice man even went out to try to find me. It was all worth it once I found the place though! I'll let HC know about this.

Pros: vegan cafe in Sapporo, great food at a reasonable price, nice staff and atmosphere

Cons: difficult to find - see above

2 Responses

A Nice Place - Edit

A great place for vegetarians, as it's hard to find vegetarian food in Japan sometimes. The menu is small, but the food is good. The staff was very kind, and helped me to decipher the menu.
It's a little far, so best to probably take the subway and walk. The map on this site shows the wrong place, so becareful and look at your own map first.

Pros: kind staff, is actually vegetarian, good food

Cons: hard to find, small

This restaurant is located on a very tiny street off of another small street off of a main road. So if you're taking a taxi tell them to insert the address into a navi and you'll get there no problem. The door is on the left side of the front building. I went here two times. My first visit, my husband and I ordered the Mock Fish fillet burger and the vege set. Both things were excellent and served beautifully. We also had the tart for desert. SUPER YUMMY! My husband and I loved the Mock Fish Burger so much that we came back for it the second night. We asked for a bento since we couldn't stay to eat. They were so nice to do that for us, and they even put in a free piece of Quiche which was also amazing. So the food is superb, 100% vegan and served beautifully, the owners are super nice and the settings are romantic and relaxing. How lucky to get all of those from only one vegan/vegetarian restaurant to choose from in all of Sapporo. The portions are small so go for lunch and eat the mock fish burger to fill you up enough.

Pros: DELICIOUS, AWESOME STAFF, Presentation and environment

Cons: expensive but so is all of Japan

Delectable - Edit

I was so happy to find this restaurant! It's a very small Cafe, but the atmosphere is homey and comfortable. The owners are very kind, and they speak good English. I ordered the millet "fish" sandwich, and it was so good! The sauce they used added the perfect flavor to the sandwich, and the whole grain bun was delicious. I also had a piece of vegan chocolate cake, and it was incredible. The prices of the meals were very reasonable. The plates and glasses they used are beautiful. For those interested in buying a few staple organic supplies, they sell a small variety of items ranging from organic baking powder to organic tea. Anyone interested in joining the organic/environmentally active community in and around Sapporo should come here. I plan on returning here everytime I visit Sapporo.

Pros: Tasty Food, Great Prices, Kind Owners

Cons: A bit out of the way, Very small cafe

Return to Sapporo Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Aoi Sora Organic Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 6390 times since Feb 2008.