Aobaba

Contact +353-18788555

46A Capel St, Dublin, Ireland,

Serves meat, vegan options available. Offers Vietnamese noodle soups and dishes as well as bubble teas. Noodle soups can be made with a vegetable broth and served with fried tofu and marinated fried gluten strips. The summer rolls can also be made veg. Restaurant is on a block dense with Asian restaurants, and has a no-nonsense but clean pastel interior. Most dishes are 6 Euros for a sizable portion, which is incredibly affordable for Dublin. This is a branch of a British restaurant but the menu in Dublin is very different.

Category: Vietnamese, Non-veg

First Review by BananaSalami

Best Soup in Ireland - Edit

I'm obsessed with this place. Super cheap, lots of vegan options, delicious food. The seitan and tofu in the Phnom Penh soup is my favourite. Would also recommend the banh mi!

Pros: Cheap , Lots of options

Cons: Small

Decent and affordable food - Edit

The place was hopping at lunchtime. I ordered the Spicy Hue-style noodle soup with vegetarian meat, and it arrived in 10-15 minutes in a large steaming bowl topped with freshly chopped cilantro and scallions. The broth was light but flavorful, and the spiciness came from a spicy oil dolloped on top. They could have been more generous with the spicy dollop, but that is a matter of taste, I know. The "vegetarian meat" was fried tofu cubes and seasoned gluten. The noodles were an interesting plump round rice noodle, of similar gauge to the bean sprouts. Was very satisfying and filling. In reference to what another reviewer experienced, my server was very surly, but the server who brought my neighbor's meal seemed more friendly, so depends on the luck of the draw I guess.

Pros: vegan asian noodle soup, good value, quick and informal

Cons: not necessarily friendly

Not Impressed - Edit

I liked this place until it took 40 minutes for my food to arrive, that part I understood because these things happen. However they served me prawns when I ordered a vegetarian dish. Which is also fine, because sometimes things can be misunderstood in a busy kitchen environment. I didn't appreciate the laughing in the kitchen in plain sight, but I assured the waitress that it was fine and asked for my vegetarian dish to be given to me as take away.
Unbeknownst to me, they just dumped the prawn dish into a container and sent me off, 50 minutes after I had first arrived in the restaurant. I ate half the dish and discovered a rogue prawn, so I was forced to returned it, again. They gave me my money back when I asked and there was somewhat of a murmuring apology coupled with laughing by two unprofessional ladies in the back.
I'm vegan and I heard about Aobaba on Happy Cow, luckily I won't die from this experience (though I'm unimpressed by the lacking of standards) however, I felt the need to write a review, so that if someone had a serious crustacean allergy they would know to avoid Aobaba.

Pros: Low food and safety standards

Cons: Tasty

Return to Dublin Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Aobaba closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2854 times since Apr 2013.