Ao 26

Contact 967-989184

Rua Vitor Cordon, 26 (at R Serpa Pinto), Lisbon, Portugal, 1200-484

An all-vegan restaurant serving different plates daily. Snacks are also available, such as burgers, scones, fries, toasts. Desserts include cheesecake, chocolate cake with strawberry, brownies, chocolate mousse and others. Serve natural juices and biological wine. One menu option includes soup and the main course. Open Mon 12:30pm-3:30pm, Tue-Sat 12:30pm-11:00pm. Closed Sun.

Category: Vegan, International, Organic, Western, Beer/Wine, Asian, Fusion

First Review by Kaitykah

Great spot ! - Edit

Loved this place! Some really interesting and satisfying food with a focus on Portugese cuisine.

Very friendly and helpful service and a buzzing atmosphere - the place was very busy as it was a Saturday night. I got lucky to get a table as I saw many people turned away who hadn't made a reservation.

Definitely go here if you want to try veganized Portugese food it's very well done !

Pros: All vegan and many traditional Portugese options, Friendly service , Nice atmosphere and layout

Cons: Can get quite busy - make a reservation

Best vegan restaurant in Lisbon - Edit

At this restaurant in Chiado district we had the best meal of our entire stay in Portugal! They use ingredients of great quality and definitely know how to cook. Prices are very reasonable.

The design of this restaurant is very modern and airy. They have an open kitchen. The menu isn’t as vast as in other places like PSI or Jardim dos Sentidos, but so I think everything is really made out of fresh ingredients. And as everything is vegan, there is still plenty to choose from. Some dishes are inspired by traditional Portuguese dishes.

We had a starter with mushrooms, then a vegan burger/ a dish with tofu, spinach and potato, and finally a chocolate mousse. Everything was great and I wish I could come back.

Pros: Excellent food!, Value for money!, Nice location!

True Experience - Edit

World class food, really. It is well thought-through and simply delicious for both taste pods and eyes. Atmosphere is lovely and the staff is super nice.

Pros: delicious food, friendly staff, nice atmosphere

Cons: a bit pricy, a bit noisy

really great restaurant - Edit

We have been on a city trip in Lisbon and read about it in the happy cow app. The food is amazing!! Especially the burgers are really great with the sweet potatoes! It belongs to the best vegan burgers we have ever had! :) they offer a menu daily which usually includes a soup and a main dish, both times the soup was really great, the main dish too! The staff is really nice.

Pros: good choice of healthy vegan food, amazing burgers , friendly staff

Good food, good space. - Edit

I really enjoyed this restaurant, its spacious (compared to other vegan places in lisbon) and we can see the kitchen and the final touches on the food. The food was very good, and the price was ok.

Pros: good food, spacious and nicely decorated

We can see the kitchen ! - Edit

We ate in this restaurant on evening. We tried the burger and the seitan meal with sweet potatoes fries. it was possible to see the kitchen and i enjoyed it ! nevertheless the orange juice was bitter.

Pros: the view on the kitchen

the best vegan cake i ever tried! - Edit

This is a sophisticated restaurant!
What i'd like to say: comparing it with other vegan restaurants, which often have this Student/DIY-character, this one is for adults. Watching the kitchen-crew, you can see, they work concentrated and professional - which i admire very much.
But enough with this... Yes, the Burger tastes great, and the fries of sweet-potato is terrific and match perfectly with the seasoning of the salad and the pesto dropped on the plate.
But completely outstanding was the cake: a berry-cheesecake or nutella-cake - incredibly good.

Pros: opened for lunch and dinner, outstanding cake, perfect!

Best vegan burger! - Edit

Best burger(yes burger, not vegan burger) I've ever had. So good that the second and third time I visited I ordered it again. They do switch up the burgers, first 2 times I believe I had a beet and chickpea burger. From what I saw the other dishes they served also looked incredibly good. Desserts were absolutely delicious as well. The staff was very friendly and alert.

Favourite vegan place in Lisbon - Edit

This place was amazing, definitely worth a visit!

We got the burgers with some sweet potatoes and a juice. All of it was amazing!

It's also really modern and plays decent music which was a nice break from no music or strange pop songs! :)

The staff were nice and the prices are quite cheap.

Superb vegan dining - Edit

Exquisite vegan restaurant offering high-end vegan dishes. The atmosphere is sophisticated but relaxed and the staff is extremely friendly. Service is very fast. And most of all, the food is superb! One of the best vegan dinners me and my (non-vegetarian) boyfriend had ever. We paid only €32 for a three course meal for two persons and enjoyed every bite. We would highly recommend this place!

brilliant 3 course meal in lovely restaurant - Edit

Off to a great start with the vegetable tempura and homemade vegetarian cheese board (much superior to vegan cheese found in the supermarkets!) the mains and desserts were also excellent, along with very friendly and quick service. Will definitely go back :)

our favourite place in Lisbon - Edit

A lovely spot, with nice ambiance and wonderful staff. The food is terrific; gourmet! I loved the cornbread crusted tofu, the seitan steaks, fries, burgers, mushroom appetizer, tempura vegetables. Honestly I loved everything! Tasty creme brûlée as well.

One of the best - Edit

Went there for lunch and it was amazing! One of the best vegan places I've been to. Easy to find and basically right in the heart of Lisbon. There were lots of different options such as snacks, salads, burgers, soup and incredibly tasty desserts too. My non-vegan friends loved it so much we went there again the next day.

Pros: All vegan, Location

well located vegan restaurant - Edit

This restaurant is located near Chiado in downtown Lisbon.
After eating here you can and should always go for a walk :)
They have a very nice menu and I was curious to try all the other dishes. They're deserts are to die for!
I've had the green curry and an amazing beet soup, and my friend the seitan steak which had a very tasty sauce.

Nice restaurant - Edit

We had dinner here and it was good. Nothing really spectacular, just good food. We shared the 'cheese' platter, which was more like different kinds of spreads. Very tasty though, just not 'cheese'. Our main course was seitan steak in a butter sauce. The sauce really tasted like butter, nicely done. The best part of the meal were our desserts, chocolate mousse and chocolate cake. We couldn't decide which one was better, even though the staff insisted the cake was better :-) All in all a good choice.

Pros: Vegan!, Friendly staff

Oh mother, I can feel the soil falling over my head - Edit

Anywhere that plays this song by The Smiths at the end of the night is quite special. AO26 Lisboa has gone straight into my Happy Cow Top 10. I've had to displace the long standing De Waaghals in Amsterdam to accommodate this amazing place into my ultimate vegan dining destinations. As soon as we walked in I knew this place was destined for stardom. The taste of the battered tempura to start was verging on when I discovered Luke and Leia were siblings. Better than Les Battersby from Corrie. Not that I watch Coronation Street anyway. For the main courses we had the mushroom and seitan stroganoff and seitan steak served with sweet potato fries. For the Brits reading this we call this steak and chips. It's very simple. Steak and chips without any dead cows. The sauce it came with was inconsolably buttery. Even the waiter said he couldn't believe it was vegan. Main courses here are around €9 and a bottle of vegan organic rosé wine will set you back €14. The AO26 Vegan Project is something to be appreciated. Come here and you are in great company.

Updated from previous review on 2016-09-11

Pros: amazing food, great staff , great location

Ao Lets Go - Edit

Wow this place is amazing. I love it. It has a unique vibe which works so very well. The food is sensational and everything on the menu can be tasted because of course it's 100% vegan. It isn't very big but they make good use of the space and you don't feel squashed in like some other vege restaurants in the city (of a Buffett variety,mentioning no names). I've only been here once but it's already a personal favourite and somewhere I'll be dreaming about for the foreseeable months ahead until I'm fortunate enough to visit again.

Pros: creative and delicious dishes, no animal products , friendly and professional staff

Cons: there isn't one where I live

A pleasant surprise! - Edit

I visited this new place a few months ago and loved it!

It is still new, so I'm sure it will improve with time, but I had a wonderful time there.

The food was great, as well as the place itself. The staff was also quite nice and the bathroom was heaven. Yes, normally bathrooms don't stand out, but this one..... you have to see it!

I will come back soon to try other dishes.

Pros: Tasty food, Friendly staff, Nice vibe

Cons: A little expensive

Very nice vegan restaurant - Edit

The people working are very polite and the food is very good.Also the music and the whole environment is very nice.

Pros: Everything is vegan and there are natural juices a

Cons: Only a few tables and not so many options in the m

best vegan restaurant EVER - Edit

This place is amazing. My husband and I go to lots of vegan places in London but this place tops them all. The food is mouthwatering and the staff were smiling at the faces we were making. We started with the cheese platter which was gorgeous and had us fighting over the last few mouthfuls. I then had the tofu dish which was delicious and husband had the burger which he said was the best vegan burger ever, and he has tried many. Then it was time for pudding but we couldn't choose so had the platter which was divine. Chocolate mousse and cake, creme brûlée and avocado and lime cheesecake. All totally amazing. Go, you really should go.

Pros: the food, staff, smiths poster in the loo

.:: Delicious ::. - Edit

Listen to the reviews - this place is worth visiting. More of a fine dining experience but with some charm and flare. Delicious food - the avocado cheesecake was so good and unlike anything I've had before. the staff is cool and the place just holds it's own.

delicious meat and friendly people - Edit

Very friendly service in a small but fine restaurants. in the open kitchen you see with how much love the cook is making the food. everything is vegan and it's quite cheap and nice portions. totally recommendable.

Pros: cheap. everything vegan. excellent food

Cons: nothing

one of best vegan restaurants ever visited - Edit

Really good food, making a fusion in between portuguese and vegan. Very nice space, friendly staff, good value for money and very quick service. Will go back for sure

Pros: very tasty dishes, really good value for money, quick service

Cons: would love to try the home made vegan cheesed but

very nice restaurant with delicious food - Edit

When we arrived here, around 5pm, they told us that they have only snacks and salads. It wasnt a problem at all because they had 3 types of burgers, sweet potato or regular fries, 3 types of salads (and maybe other things but I dont remember). I had a "basic" burger with sweet potato fries and it was delicious! And their chocolate cake was phenomenal. I truly recommend this restaurant!

Pros: amazing food, relatively cheap, friendly staff

Cons: none

My favorite restaurant in Lisbon - Edit

The waiters are very friendly and the food is really good, espcially the seitan steak, hamburgers and sweet potatoes. The decor is very nice. Prices are adequate.

Pros: good service, delicious food

Amazing food - Edit

A new spot in Lisbon with delicious vegan food. I've tried the brazilan "feijoada" and the exotic couscous and both were awesome. Don't forget to try the advocado and lime "cheesecake" or the chocolate cake. Really good

Pros: Excellent food, Friendly staff, Good value

Cons: -, -, -

great vegan burgers - Edit

great seitan burger and special burger. the restaurant is clean and modern. creative food that tastes good.
prices are moderate. huge the selection, great choclate cake.. everything home made and fresh. organic wine available.

Superfood, service ok - Edit

We had the "cheeseplate" which was quite expensive but very tasty, a burger (with beetroot) which was supertasty and for dessert a slice of chocolatecake which was one of the best vegan chocolatecakes i've ever eaten.
Staff was friendly but when the place got more crowded they seemed to be a bit overchallenged - which is kind of human.
All in all we had a great night at Ao 26! Go there!

HOLY MOTHER OF VEGAN FOOD!!! - Edit

Went to AO 26 - the vegan food project, with my SO on our vacation to Lisbon, and we where so sad that we only went there the last day. So we had to have 2 meals there.

The atmosphere is nice, the staff is welcoming and they speak english just fine.
The menu isn't over crowded, as some resturants have a tendency to do.
And the food... oh the food..

*LUNCH*
Their burgers are home made, and they are made to excellence.
i had the best grilled veggie-salad i've ever had, with liberal amounts of olive oil.

*Dinner*
We had tempura fried veggies and a cheese platter for starters - and even though some bread with the cheese could have been nice, it was awesome.
For our main course we both had the seitan steak cooked portugese style - which means lots of oil, but in af god way ;)
And for dessert, we had chocolate muse and the dessert platter. If you go there, order the dessert platter, you'll be a better person after you've had it :D

It wasn't that expensive for a 3 course meal
the vibe was good
we went away full
and we enjoyed our time there

Pros: The food, The atmosphere , The service

Cons: The lighting is really bad for instagramming, no 4, if i'd have to nit pick, i would have liked my sal

Fantastic vegan dining experience - Edit

Delicious food that vegans and non-vegans will love. Great atmosphere with modern interior, jazz music and friendly and attentive staff. There are many desert options so I'd recommend the tasting platter for those who can't decide! I would also book in advance as it's a busy little place.

Pros: Varied menu with some Portugese-inspired dishes

Lovely treat in Lisbon! - Edit

On the tram 28 route but only realised it was there when I was looking for a veggie restaurant. A very airy and bright atmosphere with an open kitchen. Would visit again if we visit Lisbon again!

A fully vegan place with at least 4 options of each course. We ordered a mushroom starter (cannot remember the name...a Portuguese dish), which was zesty with very nice texture of the mushrooms. Mains were nice too, we tried a burger and the steak. The burger had a nice smooth texture and the steak was in a thick zingy sauce. We were both very full but finished our dinner with chocolate mousse, which was a delight!

Pros: all vegan options with friendly staffs

Cons: none!

Bom! Bom! Bom! Wonderful. - Edit

I don't think I have had better vegan food in my travels. The service was amazing, the staff are so lovely and helpful.

The menu was varied (we had the late lunch offering) and really good value. I had the special burger. A great size and so delicious. Nicely rounded off with a side of sweet potato fries.

The desserts were lush - my partner and I shared the chocolate cake and chocolate mousse. I could have gone for 2nds of everything.

When the bill game, I was even happier.

Oh and the mint iced tea is so refreshing on a hot day. Telling my vegan friends to go (back) to Lisbon and try this menu!

Pros: All vegan. Great service.

High quality vegan food - Edit

I've been there last week and all I can say is that I am glad I found this place. I tried the beet burger and it was simply marvellous. Nice work on achieving the best vegan mayonnaise I've ever tasted!

For dessert I had the lemon cheesecake with red fruits and I recommend it. Though the chocolate cake and the scones were also really tempting. I am definitely coming back.

Pros: Really tasty high quality food, Variety of desserts, Cosy space

Return to Lisbon Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Ao 26 closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3318 times since Jun 2016.