Annapurna Cuisine

310-204-5500

10200 Venice Blvd (at Vinton), Culver City, California, USA, 90232

Vegetarian Indian food restaurant. Offers a daily lunch buffet with many choices, all-you-can-eat. Also offers an a la carte menu: dosas, curries, breads, etc... Most dishes contain dairy - vegans to ask. Simple setup with many tables for seating and view of kitchen. Has parking lot. Note that restaurant food is vegetarian but catering menu is not all vegetarian. Open Mon-Thu 11:00am-3:00pm, Mon-Thu 5:00pm-10:00pm, Fri-Sun 11:00am-10:00pm. Open daily.

Category: Lacto, Indian, Buffet, Take-out, Catering

First Review by heatherveganmom

Solid South Indian Vegetarian - Edit

We love this place! Very unassuming, delicious South Indian cuisine. We've been for lunch and dinner and prefer the lunch buffet. I don't usually prefer buffets, but this one is kept very clean and food is constantly being switched out. We come almost weekly for a weekend lunch, and are full for many hours after. The food is all vegetarian, but there really is something for everyone!

While here, we've had chana saag, mushroom dish, bhindi masala, vegetable biryani, sambar, rasam and more. All deliciously spiced, not greasy and packed with flavor! Their food tends to be on the medium to spicy side, and all extremely satisfying. It is truly pure comfort food - while it's certainly filling, it doesn't leave you quite as weighted down or bloated as other Indian food. They also bring out a complimentary dosa for everyone who gets the lunch buffet. It's not a massive one (I'd compare it to a small to medium quesadilla), with buttery and delicious mashed potato filling - plain and simple but again, very satisfying! We always leave here ready to take a nap.

My husband's family is from India, and when they visited they ate here multiple times as they too loved it. The price is definitely right! They do get busy at lunch on weekends, but they tend to turnover tables relatively quickly. One last bonus - they play Indian music videos, always fun to watch!

Yummy South Indian Cuisine - Edit

Went here with my in-laws to try some South Indian food and was pleasantly surprised by the cuisine. The dosa's are ginormous and everything you could want in a dosa and more.

I had the Bihndi Marsala and was floored by this delicious cauliflower treat. Just the right amount of spice and crispiness.

The restaurant itself is what you would expect to find in a strip mall. There is a parking lot in front for convenience.The decor is outdated, but it doesn't matter because the prices can't be beat and the service is attentive, fast and hospitable.

Go here for big servings, delicious food, and cheap prices!

Pros: Delicious South Indian Cusine, Cheap prices, Big servings, Dosa's!!!

Cons: Outdated decor

Tastes good but... - Edit

I had read about this place on happycow. Here's my Annapurna Cuisine review.

I had known about this place for a few years and finally decided to give it a try. From the outside, the restaurant seemed like a typical family restaurant. The set up inside is very simple, with the buffet spread to one side, and many tables for seating inside throughout. Diners can see the kitchen and the cooks working from the seating area. On this day, there were a good amount of Indian lunch crowd (a good sign that the food is authentic).

We looked at the lunch buffet, and it offered a good range of dishes, but it had only 2 vegan hot items, so my husband, the vegan, decided that he didn't want to eat here. Instead, I bought an order of masala dosa and also samosas to-go.

While waiting for my order, I watched men bring in grocery by the boxes and cart loads... corn oil, canned beans, conventional vegetables, tubs of yoghurt, white sugar - basically all conventional ingredients and not particularly healthful. Sigh. Personally, I prefer to eat healthy and organic, so I was disappointed by the sight of these products. But this is an Indian restaurant, which I suspect is no different than most other Indian (or Chinese, etc.) restaurants. In other words, just because a restaurant is vegetarian does not guarantee that they use healthful, natural, better quality, or organic ingredients!

Anways, onto the food. The malasa dosa, to my surprise, tasted really good with its large crispy crepe and spiced potato stuff. Very flavorful. It came with tasty dipping sauces (a red chili and tomato sauce as well as a coconut one). I raved about it to my husband while eating. Well, shortly after eating, my stomach felt very heavy and slightly pained for about an hour. Then it got better.

It's not unusal for me (or many people, non-Indians, I know) to experience discomfort after eating Indian food in general due to the spices and oils.

I've yet to eat the samosas... I will toast them tomorrow and eat them with the dipping sauces (a sweet tamarind one and a green mint-yoghurt one). I hope I feel okay.

Overall, I would say to eat here if you like authentic and flavorful vegetarian Indian food... BUT you should have a stomach of iron.

Pros: authentic and tastes good, has parking lot

Cons: conventional ingredients, sensitive stomaches beware

Spicy but Good - Edit

Went here with a few friends. The buffet looked really good (we got there early) but we opted to order. I had a lentil dish that was made to my request-ginger spicy. My friends had saag paneer and another dish with cheese and peas in yellow sauce that was also very yummy. Good stuff!

Pros: fair price, yummy

Cons: parking

Great Indian food - Edit

we love this place. it has very yummy south indian food. they are aware of vegan issues and let you know what to have. great buffet. very nice people run it.

Pros: great food, very friendly service, internet access

Cons: not very good atomosphere

Return to Culver City Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Annapurna Cuisine closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.