Annam Restaurant

03-35711835

5-8-13 Chuo-ku, Ginza, Tokyo, Japan,

Serves meat, vegan options available. Offers a wide selection of vegetarian dishes from very mild to explosively hot, some of which are vegan or can be made vegan. Chef can make dishes not on the menu, upon request. Has a full bar. Open Mon-Fri 11:00am-3:00pm, Mon-Fri 4:30pm-11:00pm, Sat-Sun 11:00am-4:00pm, Sat-Sun 5:00pm-11:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Indian, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by TJKawamura

food was good - Edit

The food was actually good, but it could have killed me. We explained to our server that I have a peanut and tree nut allergy and he aknowlged that and said the things we ordered didn't contain any nuts.
Our samosas came out and a few minutes into eating that server came out and said there were cashews in the samosas. I had already eaten half of mine. I had to take benadryl to make sure my throat didn't close up.
He took the plate away and said he wouldn't charge us for the samosa that almost killed me.
we went to pay and our bill was somehow 5,500 jpy.

Welcoming staff, great find and amazing food. - Edit

Found this little placed tucked on the second floor off the busy main roads in Ginza. Quiet mid week night with one other table eating and we were treated so well. The owner made sure we were getting everything we fancied and that the spice level was A-okay.
Had the veggie thalis, they made mine vegan.
Vegan masala was amazing, as were the aloo gobi and dhals. Get the garlic naan!
It's not super cheap but around ~£20 for the 3 courses of delish food and two beers - Bargain. I'd def come back.

personalize service for Vegan & Vegi as its finest!!!!! - Edit

I was in Tokyo for a holiday and one of my friends in Japan recommended this restaurant to me.
try and it was simply amazing the food is soo delicious.the services was excellent.the owner,Deep was very knowledgeable about Japan,around in Ginza.Also the staffs were very attentive & hospitable.
overall, this restaurant has amazing HALAL food and a great ambience which makes for a memorable food experience.
you won't be disappointed.

Pros: Best for Vegan & Vegi

Cons: none

Avoid ordering basmati rice or anything off menu - Edit

The quality of the food and atmosphere are good, but the reason I will never return to Annam is that there are some inappropriate charges. I was charged 1400 yen for a single serving of plain basmati rice. Yellow rice and garlic rice are just 400 yen, so when basmati rice was suggested (with NO warning that it would be more than triple the price of the other rices--and it being absent from the menu) I ordered it.

When I pointed out the clear price gouging after I got the bill, I was told that the rice was more expensive because it was imported from India. Really? The restaurant clearly tries to take advantage of those who they think are tourists. It's a shame since it's otherwise a good restaurant and I would have gone back. They should think more long term. Nataraj, which is very nearby is better in taste and price. Nataraj has a vegetarian and vegan menu--no meat or fish at all. It also has a point card system that has provided me with many complimentary buffet lunches, making it an even better value.

Pros: good atmosphere & decor , friendly, food is tasty and accommodates vegans

Cons: not transparent about pricing, off menu items unreasonably expensive, better & cheaper Indian restaurants near

Best Veg and Vegan restaurant in Tokyo - Edit

When it is a daunting task to find a good veg dish in Tokyo, I finally found this place lately. Plenty of choices of veg dishes on the menu, and further to that they can prepare veg dish of your choice on order. Hospitality of the restaurant manager was awesome - very different experience for me from the normal robotic gestures I expect to receive at regular restaurants in Tokyo. When I am around Ginza, I do not miss this place.

Pros: Hospitality, Choices, Made to order

Cons: Location is a bit difficult at first

Excellent Indian Food - Options for All! - Edit

Early dinner meant we were served by the Manager, Deep. Personal service was terrific and the food is excellent. They are working on a separate Vegan menu but had no problems with providing me with a Thali, including an okra dish that wasn't on the menu. Absolutely recommended.

Delicious and friendly service - Edit

Me and my boyfriend enjoyed our experience here. I got to enjoy a wonderful vegan dinner while my boyfriend enjoyed a fish curry. It is a bit pricey but tasty.

Pros: Friendly service , Good food, Relaxed and beautiful atmosphere

Cons: Pricey, No special vegan menu yet

Delicious food, in a warm, friendly atmosphere - Edit

I keep coming back because, frankly, the food is great.
And so are the staff and management. With both Nepalese and Indian dishes, I like the variety. Relaxing and friendly atmosphere. The furniture appears to be antiques and fit the place well. I'm always on the lookout for a good place to take my brother when he visits Tokyo. As vegan who has spent a lot of time in Nepal and northern India, I'm sure he'll enjoy a meal in Annam. And you know it's not a run of the mill Indian restaurant when the BGM is cool jazz.

Pros: Excellent food, Excellent food, Good, friendly service

Cons: no complaints whatsoever

Quite a pleasant experience - Edit

I was in Tokyo few weeks back, and I was craving some authentic homely food. My Japanese friend had taken me there and I must say I was surprised to see so many Japanese customers with cravings for Indian food. The taste was quite authentic - as the chef himself knows what he is cooking. Had a pleasant chat with the owner, who really knows how to engage each customers even when the restaurant was packed. Its quite reasonable in price. When you visit Tokyo, do check it out.

Pros: Food, Service, Price

Cons: Music, No Smoking

Great Indian Food for all Types of Eaters - Edit

Me and my wife were on vacation in Japan for two weeks and absolutely loved it. The only problem was that my wife is a vegetarian and there are not many vegetarian options in Tokyo and the rest of Japan. With the advice from a Japanese friend, we decided to eat at this gem, Annam located in the renowned Ginza district. There is an option for everyone here! My wife had a wonderful vegetarian curry with amazing Naan while I had a dazzling chicken Tikka dish. It was amazing to finally find a restaurant that we both could enjoy. We even decided to come back another time and the food was just as good as the first time. I highly recommend this restaurant for any family's or couples with different food preferences as Japanese food can be pretty monotonous.

Pros: Many options, Vegetarian, Service

Finally an Amazing Vegetarian option in Tokyo - Edit

Living in Tokyo there are slim to none vegetarian options. However, this Indian restaurant in the heart of Ginza is a vegetarian option with many choices and enhancing tastes. They offer many indian curries that range from spicy to mild that are sooo delicious. The restaurant, with a executive chef who came from a famous Indian restaurant in Tokyo, makes delicious Indian cuisine for one with any eating other preferences as well: vegetarian, meat, Halal, spicy and mild foods. To top of the delicious food, the service and the atmosphere of the restaurant was amazing. The decor of the restaurant as well as the music created a truly great dining experience. I will definitely be paying Annam a visit again real soon and I highly suggest that you do too.
Updated from previous review on Wednesday July 16, 2014

Pros: Vegetarian options, Conveinence , Service

Return to Tokyo Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Annam Restaurant closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.