Annalakshmi Restaurant

• Vegetarian

114-116, Jalan Berhala, Brickfields, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, 50470

Part of an international chain of Indian vegetarian restaurants. There are two restaurants at this location. Upstairs (inside) is fine-dining, accentuated with Indian art and handicrafts, with occasional classical dance and music performances. Downstairs (down the ramp to the car-park) is an inexpensive riverside cafe. The RM16 buffet is available Friday, Saturday, Sunday. It is run as a non-profit organization. Its adage is "athithi devo bhava" meaning "the guest is God." This is a tribute to the Goddess of Plenty or Abundance, Annalakshmi.

Category: Lacto, Indian, Buffet

First Review by KLGuy

Flavourful and friendly - Edit

My taxi driver brought me here by recommendation from his Indian vegetarian colleague. It was a great choice. The food was delicious and reasonably priced. I got the Kaveri which came with a large serve of rice, and 5 small servings of different dishes. All vegan except for the curd which I gave to my guest the taxi driver.

Staff were friendly. Food was nice. I would go back.

Pros: Really nice food, Friendly service, Reasonably priced

Cons: Service a bit slow

Pay-what-you-want buffet dinner - Edit

Came here solo for dinner. Not knowing exactly how it worked resulted in a few awkward moments... Basically you take a table, go grab a a plate, and work your way from the right end of the buffet station down the other. The helpers will spoon food onto your plate as you walk by.

The evening I was there, they had chana bhatura, a bisibelebath kind of rice dish, two salads, some fried snacks—which were all vegan—and two dairy-based desserts. Not a whole lot of options, but everything I tried was great and surprisingly not greasy. I went for seconds!

Apparently dinner service is still run on a donation basis. I was also unaware of the dress code and wore shorts, but nobody cared. The place is clean with a traditional décor. Helpers were all nice and smiley. A very pleasant experience all in all!

Pros: delicious food, not greasy, nice staff

Cons: could use more options

Fresh and Delicious Vegan Food - Edit

Went here for lunch with my partner and had the lunch buffet for 16RM which is well worth it. Pretty much all the dishes are vegan and very yummy, lots of fresh vegetables. The restaurant has a nice atmosphere and decor. I unknowingly wore shorts but no one said anything - there is a sign outside the restaurant saying no shorts, gym shoes etc. All in all I think it is great value for money, decent and delicious food with fresh ingredients and confidentially vegan.

Bad experience in Annalakshimi Restaurant Malaysia - Edit

Well, here’s the incredible bad experience me and my husband had while we went into Annalakshimi Restaurant in Brickfields this afternoon.

As usual, we walked into this fine dining vegetarian restaurant in Kuala Lumpur, at Brickfields, the waiter an elderly man told us to sit at two seater table at the corner (dim light corner by the way).

Since i would like to put my bag on a chair, i informed this waiter i would prefer 4 seater table (politely).

Then he pointed us to the back of the area and told us to sit there at number 24th table, without leading the way. (Wow, does he need to control which table number we have to be seated)

It was too far away from the food counter and there were several empty seats in the middle (i saw a 4 seater table with 2 person seated just now), so i would much prefer to sit in the middle. He then said, he expected crowd and he need to optimize their seatings. (FYI, there were lots of empty seats at that hour). And so my husband told him, it was already after lunch time. He’s replied back this way: “Just now i told you to sit at the 2 table seat and you don’t want, so i told you to sit at the back 4 seater seat and then now you said you want to sit in the middle..

Does that mean, we can’t choose where to sit when we paid for our food? It wasn’t cheap after all. With such customer service treatment?? Wow!.

Even in cinema, you can select your seats, because you paid for it. The cashier never even once reply in such way (above).

Such a “FINE Dining experience at Annalakshimi Restaurant Malaysia”..

Would you spend your money for such attitude?

In the end, we don’t bother to argue with him for his rude behaviour, we left and had our lunch elsewhere with better treatment where our money are worth spending to.

Cons: Bad Customer Service

good place - Edit

Big restaurant inside the building, small buffet downstairs. We come upstairs. Menu is enable after 18:00 (or 18:30?..). We come for lunch, so have to try buffet. Some dishes has milk, even one salad (no salads more). Very tasty dishes, especially fried pumpkin. Buffet 16 RM for adult, and 5RM for each fresh juice. Love this place. But Simplelife at Lot10 is better for us)

Two excellent Indian restaurants - Edit

I tried lunch at both the upstairs fine-dining restaurant, and the downstairs inexpensive 'riverside cafe'. They were both great in different ways.

The upstairs restaurant is truly exquisite, with beautiful Hindu wooden carvings, paintings and other ornaments. The buffet is fantastic, with a dozen choices of delectable, freshly-made and authentic Indian cuisine. The workers are friendly and attentive. However, you do pay for this magic - the buffet is RM 16. At lunch they also have some set meals (RM 8-12) and many drinks. For dinner there is a full a la carte menu.

Downstairs, the atmosphere is simple and unpretentious. There are four or five options in the buffet, and you 'pay as you wish' - the recommendation is RM 2-6. The food is good too. You feel a bit like you're in the car park, and the 'river' isn't very appealing, but hey, if we're serious about changing the world, we need cheap vegetarian food for the common people too!

Both upstairs and downstairs the majority of the buffet was vegan ('no milk, no cheese, no ghee'), but you do need to ask the workers to point out which dishes contain dairy (which they were happy to do). Also, there was no mock-meat either upstairs or downstairs, which was a welcome change (in KL most veg*n restaurants - including Indian - use a lot of mock meats).

Pros: Two restaurants to choose from, No mock meat, Authentic and delicious

wonderful to find in vegie unfriendly Malaysia - Edit

Had trouble finding it when guided by the misleading placement on Google maps at present - trust the address or look for the Temple of Fine Arts opposite the Buddist monastry at 114-116 Jalan Berhala. Great food in the Annalakshmi style of the Perth one I visit regularly.

Pros: great food and people, good cause

Cons: hard to find

:0) excellent - Edit

Fantastic food full of flavour. An absolute delight to eat here. The staff are very nice too. Try the mangolassi, in fact.....try anything its delicious. No vegetarian or vegan could visit KL and miss out this place.

Pros: clean, freindly, great food

Best option for veggie food in Malaysia/SE Asia - Edit

Can't understand why there are only 3 reviews up till now. This is hands down the best option you have for vegetarian food in Malaysia, if not all of SE Asia.
Restaurant is clean, decor is pleasant.
Have regular buffet in the day time (11 AM-3 PM) with several items on it (4-5 dishes excluding standard rice, pulao, sambar, rasam, vada, condiments). Used to be all you can eat pay as you wish, but now they have a standard charge for the buffet of RM 12 per head. Still, you can't complain about the price especially in a restaurant where you can sit down in air-con with free water that you're not too afraid to drink. They also offer menu items with superb dosa, uttapam, puri choices.

Pros: great value for money, good food, excellent South Indian breads

A cultural centre for a treat, but not for lunch - Edit

Update Jan 2012- Visited for lunch, upstairs now expensive thali only for lunch, downstairs pay as you like thali only. Would not recommend a lunchtime visit.

Was hard to find as it's actually inside the cultural centre. We nearly gave up, but I'm glad we persevered. It's actually only about a 5 minute walk from Sentral station. It's a buffet style afare, bar the dosa's which you have to order. Everything is very tasty and very fresh with a wide variety of dishes on offer. And to top it all off you pay what you want. Seemed like many people were'nt paying at all, but we thought 20 ringgits each was fair as it was all very very good.
Updated from previous review on Wednesday February 02, 2011

Pros: Pay what you like, Great fresh food, Nice setting

Cons: Can be hard to find., Lunch

Best Food around town - Edit

Amazing place with the finest food I've ever had!
Its manned primarily by volunteers & aims to provide quality food which is accessible to all; hence the 'eat as you like, pay as you want' concept which is remarkable for the ambiance and size of the place.

Definitely worth going out of the way to try this place. Highly recommended.

Pros: Excellent food, Great Ambience, Amazing concept

Pay as you like restaurant! - Edit

As mentioned by kool_kitchen this is not an esay venue to find if you don't know the area! I went to this rest on 2 occasions before becoming a vegetarian & liked the food & concept as pay what you like but indeed some did abuse but they won't bother! Do pay them a fair price if you visit them! Buffet is nice! And nice & calm atmosphere!

Pros: pay what you like, volunteer waiters, nice food

Cons: location hard to find

Return to Kuala Lumpur Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Annalakshmi Restaurant closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 5806 times since Sep 2010.