Aniyor Bakery and Cafe

0214195356

Thibault Square, Cape Town (at Hans Strijdom Ave), Western Cape, South Africa

Bakery cafe offering a selection of bread, pastries, cakes, and tarts. Serves lunch with sandwiches and warm meals, often fusing influences from a variety of cuisines. Open Mon-Fri 7:00am-5:00pm.

Categories: Lacto, International, Western, Delivery, Take-out, Bakery, Fusion

First Review by coverseas

no good for vegans - Edit

Very disappointing, was told they do no vegan cakes or sandwiches but their bread is vegan.

Some good food -- not advertised as vegetarian - Edit

Ok, I'm updating my review! The first time I went, I was a little surprised that the place does not advertise its vegetarianism... like, at all, anywhere. There also was hardly anything (and nothing vegan) in the case, and no mention was made of other food possibilities, even though I asked and it was midday/ lunchtime! The staff also wasn't exactly brimming with friendliness or enthusiasm.

However, I persisted, and I'm glad I did! The tofu sandwich is *really good*, in my opinion -- I felt addictive toward it! Made with fresh stuff (they were usually out of avocado, but it was good with replacements, too). And reasonably priced. The bakery items tend to be pretty non-vegan, but 1-2 sandwiches are vegan, and it's a great option for the area (which, as a corporate working center, doesn't have much veggie-oriented). And the staff became a little friendlier every time I saw them, so I think it was just a bit of the South African reservedness.

Although, as I originally stated, I can see why a place might take the approach of not advertising its veggieness, especially in a still-emerging vegetarian market like Cape Town, I do still wish they made some mention, even if discreetly... that part feels weird! In general, I think the place could market itself better, but the important thing is the food, and I was grateful for it.

Updated from previous review on Friday February 06, 2015

Pros: Tasty sandwich, Vegetarian standardbearer in 'dry' area

Cons: Not overtly 'vegetarian', More options, esp vegan, would be good

Return to Western Cape Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Aniyor Bakery and Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.