Angel's Thai Cafe

136 Monroe Center NW, Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA, 49503

Serves meat, vegan options available. Thai food. Two sauces are veg suitable: the Thai sweet & sour sauce and the rice wine sauce; all others contain fish sauce, so beware. Try the tofu. Open Mon-Thu 11:00am-9:00pm, Fri 11:00am-10:00pm, Sat 12:00pm-10:00pm, Sun 12:00pm-9:00pm.

Category: Ovo, Thai, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by Bedhead

Not really authentic Thai food, but tasty enough. - Edit

My sister's favorite Thai restaurant in Grand Rapids, so on my last visit, we went for lunch. Sis was over the moon with the food, but I live in a real food town with a huge Thai community and didn't find the food at Angel's to be very authentic. It was tasty and plentiful, but nothing I couldn't reproduce in my own kitchen. Service was spotty and I had to ask for basil (in a Thai restaurant, no less) once I could find our waitress, but we were there at 2:00 p.m. and the staff wasn't particularly interested in us. Curry was good and well-seasoned (I ordered a 3 on the one-to-ten heat scale and should have gone with a 5). Not sure but I think there was a slice of beef in my vegetarian pad thai curry. Again, I'm not sure, but if you are vegan, be cautious here -- I don't think the servers know the difference between vegetarian and vegan since some of the vegan dishes contain eggs. An odd observation: nearly every menu item contains green bell pepper.

I was shocked at a $35 lunch bill (no drinks, no dessert, small shared appetizer) and thought that was a little over the top for two plates of noodles. In fact, I would probably be giving Angel's two "cows" if not for my sister's enthusiasm for the place.
Updated from previous review on Thursday September 05, 2013

Pros: Downtown Grand Rapids, Locally owned, Clean

Cons: Not authentic Thai food, Vegan might not be vegan, Not a great value

Return to Grand Rapids Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Angel's Thai Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.