Andy's Pure Food Cafe

Contact 914-967-2332

46 Purchase St, Rye, New York, USA, 10580

Formerly Andy's Vegan Cafe - menu changed from vegan to vegetarian. Offering prepared food sold by weight plus a small menu of sandwiches, smoothies, juices. Also sells a small selection of grocery.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Ovo, American, Juice bar, Take-out

First Review by kaus

Excellent Raw and Vegan - Edit

Downtown Rye on Purchase Street is this gem of a restaurant. $9.50 per pound of gourmet raw salads and vegan items is a real bargain. Juices and smoothies were fresh, large and normal prices. Chopped veggie salad was real good, kale salad was nice and simple, chard salad was unique and tasty. Plus, normal salads like quinoa, rice, purple cabbage. I had them heat my veggie burger and Brussels Sprouts. The fresh juice combo was wonderfully balanced. Out of the 50 or 60 options, only one had real goat cheese-- so they are 98% vegan and totally vegetarian! All was very healthy food and they have some packaged health foods, too. Staff was pleasant and helpful. Good prices. Pleasant and clean environment.

Pros: great tasting healthy food , good prices, take out or eat in

Cons: not near my home

Fresh & Fantastic! - Edit

I've eaten here a few times and the food is always super fresh and delicious. I love the tofu guacamole sandwich and everything we've tried from the salad bar has been great. I especially like the pesto zucchini noodles. The desserts are amazing: we've tried the cocoa, key lime and blueberry raw cheesecakes and they all rocked my world, as did the cocoa macaroons. The artichoke and sundried tomato spreads are amazing and I can't wait to try the other flavors. The staff is friendly and knowledgeable and can easily identify the few non-vegan items. From what I can tell, everything they make here is vegan but there are a few baked goods made with eggs (not made by Andy's) and they have a spinach pie made with cheese (it's kept separate from the rest of the food, though.)
I had never done a juice cleanse and had always wanted to, so I tried a one day cleanse from Andy's. The owner explained the whole thing to me and packed it all up in a cooler. I was really impressed with it. I set alarms on my phone to tell me when to drink each juice, and that worked out really well. Just when I would start to feel hungry, it was time for another juice. It was not at all torturous like I had been afraid of! I will definitely be getting the cleanse again, although I think I'll stick to the one-day version.
I'm leaving off one star because this place produces a TON of plastic waste. Everything is served in plastic clamshell packaging, even if you're dining in. The cutlery is plastic as well. Next time I'm going to request that they don't package my sandwich. I wish they had reusable plates or paper at the very least!

Pros: organic, fresh, healthy fare

Cons: lots of plastic waste

Awesome Andy's - Edit

This all vegan restaurant is outstanding. The food is fantastic. Among the offerings are great salads, stuffed mushrooms, lots of interesting veggie dishes, green drinks, smoothies & soups. Every item has great flavor and is nutritious. My adult children & grandkids always include it on their must do list when they are in town. Don't miss this little gem. The staff are friendly & helpful. The atmosphere is bright and comfy.

Pros: Excellent food, awesome buffet, friendly, neighborhood spot

Yummy - Edit

Food was really fresh, nice blend of raw and cooked items. Tons of gluten-free options, and everything is organic. The grocery section is tiny (just a few cookies and energy bars) -- it's more of a restaurant. Perfect for lunch takeout. All the foods are in giant bowls behind a glass counter, which looks very pretty. There was no fake meat the day I went, which was great. They focus on real food -- quinoa, vegetables, tofu, soups, juices, smoothies, etc.

Pros: Organic!, Friendly staff, Clean and bright

Cons: Expensive

My only complaint has nothing to do with the food - Edit

First of all, this place has great food and a great selection. We shared a plate of about 10 different foods. Each one was great. There wasn't one that we wish we hadn't ordered.

The smoothie that we had was also very good.

The complaint that I refer to in my title is that even if you are eating in, the serve the food in a take out container which is made of plastic. I would have been perfectly content (much happier actually) with a paper plate.

Still, the container has nothing to do with the food which was top notch.

It feels to me more like a lunch place but they are usually open to 8. We got some take out containers of soup and I'll update this review after we've had them.

Pros: Great Food, Impressive selection

Cons: Everything srvd in plastic take out box

Great vegan selections! - Edit

I drove about 20 minutes to get to Andy's and it was well worth it! There is a shortage of vegan restaurant options in the area. He has an amazing salad bar with prepared foods on it, including a kind of quinoa/rice roll/dumpling that was delicious. The eating area is small, probably less than ten tables. There is a few sandwich selections (tofu sandwich, veggie burger sandwich). I brought home zucchini soup that was out of this world. Can't wait to go back.

Pros: Fresh, extensive salad options, good vibe

Cons: would love more extensive sandwich menu

High value food at high price - Edit

Had to stop in Andy's because the food looked so gorgeous. Everything in Rye is pricy, so Andy's is priced accordingly.

However, everything is fresh and well made. Good for lunch. Open atmosphere and well decorated. Not much for a quiet dinner.

Pros: Organic vegan, great taste, beautiful decor

Cons: very expensive

I love this place! - Edit

I'm so glad a friend told me about Andy's! What a find. Andy's has smoothies, sandwiches, salads, etc., but my favorite is the buffet with an extraordinary array of creative and delicious items. Their pureed soups are wonderful too. Andy's does a lot of take-out, but there are some small tables for dining in and the decor is very warm and inviting. Go there. You won't be disappointed.

Pros: Healthy, yummy food, Attractive decor and food presentation, Nice staff

Pleasant Surprise - Edit

I never knew raw food could be so good.

While visiting friends we looked for a vegan friendly place to grab lunch and Andy's was the best looking option. And it was amazing. You can order a sandwich, or pick from several pre-made items. I got some tasty quinoa salad, marinated mushrooms, kale salad with the best dressing i've ever had (and i don't like dressing at all), and a few other treats.

The thing that really set this apart, as if the food wasn't good enough, was the server. I did not catch his name but he was so nice and so helpful. I can not wait to visit my friends again so i can eat at Andy's again!

Pros: Staff, Great Raw Vegan Food

An Oasis of Goodness - Edit

If the sun were a stocked refrigerator, it would be Andy's Vegan Cafe. It's so bright in there and full of life sustaining food. Unlike the sun, Andy's will not kill you if you get too close...well, maybe if you've got unlimited funds and can eat until you burst. But then your death would be a happy one. Messy, but happy. And satiated. For real though, this is one of the few places I've been to that causes me to lose control of my senses and succumb to gluttony. I ate past the point of being full, and brought home food which I'm eating now. I'm overfull, I'm uncomfortable, but everyting just looked so dang delicious...makes you want to try it all! The a la carte food selections are all naturally colorful and pure...like, like, like a buffet of rainbows! I spent more than I budgeted for, but so what, it was awesome! I'm thrilled that I'm in this town for the whole weekend. I'll be eating at Andy's for two more days, ain't bothering to look around for any place else. Wish I wasn't just passing through so I could try one of their multi-day cleanses. Lawd knows I need it!

Pros: Awesome food, drinks, deserts, Swell folks, Clean

Cons: I can't fit the place in my suitcase

Fantastic vegan cafe in Westchester, Finally! - Edit

My family frequent Andy's usually after a great workout at the Rye Y. There isn't much I don't love about Andy's Cafe. He's such a nice person an you can sample anything. I highly recommend the Coco Avocado drink. His fresh food bar always has amazing vegan/raw foods. He will make whatever you like or suggest to him. Andy really is a great guy. The quickness of his food preparation has improved greatly. If you order something its best that you call it in 15-30 minutes prior to your arrival. I make certain that my patients and friends know about Andy's so that they can nourish their bodies with some of the best local, organic, raw, vegan food around. Make Andy's a must for your health and well being.
Dr. David LaRocco owner and director of "The Greater Wellbeing".

Pros: organic, vegan, raw

vegan + westchester county = wow. finally! - Edit

Finally a VEGAN cafe in RYE...I thought it would never happen! The owner, Andy, is the nicest person...ask him why he became vegan- it's a great story :)
the banana bread is amazing, they have chicago's temptation vegan ice cream...yummmy. prices are high, but it's RYE so that's not a surprise!
my fiance loves the cupcakes, too sweet for me though...
also, it's 92% organic, NICE!
Last time I was there, Andy had just made homemade cashew milk and he gave me a free sample: it was outstanding!!!

Pros: nice staff, 92% organic, 100% vegan

Cons: pricey, but it's appropriate for RYE

Andy's Cafe - Edit

I was really excited to find a vegan cafe in our area, since we don't have any in our county. I was disappointed with the food however. Our order took a long time to prepare (this is a cafe which looks like it is trying to cater to a lunch crowd, so I would think it would have been quicker), portions were small, and the food was overpriced. The nut hummous sandwich was pretty good. I had a salad with avocado in it. The avocado was unripe - there was only a tiny amount and the avocado was crunchy. The seating area was tiny, and the cafe doesn't have anything in the way of ambience. The staff was friendly.

Pros: vegan, healthy

Cons: expensive, small, bland

eatfeet I had the avocado salad too, and mine was fine. I appreciated that the restaurant didn't have anything unecessary in it, just like the food! No gimmicks or fillers. Good grub, a clean place to sit, nice music, friendly service, and a recycling bin. The prices are appropriate for the area, and comparable to vegan spots I've eaten at in Maryland. Plus the ingredients they use ain't cheap. My order came out quickly as did the orders of folks who came in after me. I hope their buisness goes through the roof so they can expand and add a drive thru! Okay no drive thru, just more business than they could ever dream of.

Return to Rye Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Andy's Pure Food Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 6050 times since Nov 2008.