Andrum Cafe and Restaurant

Östra Hamngatan 19A, Gothenburg, Sweden, 411 10

Wide selection of vegan food, both from the salad buffet, and from the kitchen. Some desserts are also vegan. Mon-Fri 11:00am-9:00pm, Sat-Sun 12:00pm-8:00pm

Category: Vegan-friendly, Western, Buffet, Salad bar, Swedish

First Review by aouri

One of my favorite places. - Edit

Andrum have really great food, always have at least one vegan soup on the buffet, and also potatoes and rice and different dishes that works with that. And they also have so many options when it comes to the salad.
It can be a bit pricey for some people, but it's worth it!

Pros: Delicious potatoes., The buffet is amazing., Potatoes. I have to mention the potatoes again.

Go somewhere else - Edit

I don't really like this place, but for some reason I always end up going here, because it's close to the station and I forget how unexciting I found it the previous time I visited time.

This time, I'm writing a review to remind myself to not visit again, unless I'm in a rush to catch a train and don't have time to go anywhere else.

The food is uninspired and bland.

Pros: Location

Cons: Bland food

Fills the belly, but nothing else - Edit

I've tried the buffet and the vegan burger. The buffet is usually ok to good and with several vegan options (but rarely everything is vegan). The burger on the other hand is really nothing special and consists of bread, a really mushy and tasteless "burger", hummus or pea pesto and 1 slice of tomato with a side order of potatoes or salad. Both me and my friend both agreed that it's just "food that fills the belly, but nothing extra".

Pros: Very central, Descent prices

Cons: Nothing special, The water tap in the crowded corner...

Great Buffet Right Downtown - Edit

It's a pretty decent places in the heart of the city. I wont say it's exceptional, but if you want a LOT of good food at a reasonable price then definitely check it out. It does get busy during lunch, so going during the off hours might be a good idea.
Things are generally well labeled, and the staff all speaks english if you have any questions.

Pros: Lots of options, Decent prices, English speaking staff

Cons: Needs more vegan selection

Decent but not more - Edit

This place is always crowded for lunch. It's in an ideal location close to Nordstan and all shopping down town. But, the food is nowhere near top notch. Bland and lacking creativity. There's nothing wrong with it - just not nice enough. "Open New Doors" at Tyska bron is 5 minutes walk away. Go there for organic and raw greatness... :)

Pros: Buffé style, A vegan burger on the menu, Decent prices

Cons: Not organic, Few Vegan options, Sloppy presentation

So la la - Edit

The food we tried was "okay". I took a burger with the pesto: the pesto was absolutely delicious,the patty was a little dry. So that reflects the overall impression I have on this restaurant: Some stuff is really good and some stuff is just "not bad".
The interior is not that cosy and warm, but it's fine if you just want to eat and not hang out a longer time. The prices were very good!
Would go there again, if I would live there.

Wow, great buffet place - Edit

I've visited this place several times, and they always have great and varied vegan food. Last time I ate way too much and didn't feel so well. Ugh.

Intrestingly my friend and I theorized about the upper floor being haunted. Spooky. Go check it out.

Good food, great value - Edit

Perhaps I was just lucky on my only visit but I enjoyed the buffet a lot. There was a lot to choose from and most was vegan. Everything was fresh and tasty and I left the place stuffed.
It is very centrally located and is quite big with a lot of seating capacity. I will certainly go back.

Pros: big variety, tasty, good value

amazing. I don't understand the bad reviews. - Edit

If you're a vegan, this place is a mat whilst in Gothenburg. It's a veery reasonable price for us Australians who have come from Norway and Iceland. Very good food, very friendly, ideal location, easy to find, help yourself all you can eat buffet!! What's the problem? People are too picky and quick to judge these days. This place is brilliant.

good for lunch and dessert - Edit

I always enjoy the lunch service for hearty food and as a vegan its nice to have something besides a vegan chocolate ball because they have vegan pie with vegan cream! Yay. Plus its across the road from the outlet mall which is nice!

Pros: good location , has vegan dessert , filling

not amazing, but good value lunch - Edit

just been for lunch and paid 77Kr for a plate piled high, split between the salad bar and some hot options which were roasted new potatoes(lovely)rice, lentil burger and vegetable curry. The salad options were good enough and seemed fresh. The price also included a bowl of soup and portion of bread. There was a choice of 2 soups and I had a red thai soup that was very tasty.

The young guy behind the counter was helpful in guiding us as we were unsure what the advertised price allowed.

While the food, nor the service are great, this is a budget option and is a very useful place for those on a budget. You will get a good feed for about £8 - which in Sweden is pretty good

Pros: Good value, Filling

Don't recommend this - Edit

I never feel comfortable in Andrum! The food is always the same, no variation! It stays in the fridge for days I assume. The stuff is very unfriendly. They also have Wi-Fi which is not for customers. All in all choose something else!

Pros: decent open hours

Cons: unfriendly stuff, same and reused food for days

Worth a visit - Edit

Visited on 22/09/12 for lunch & again on 23/09 for breakfast. It costs 79Kr for the buffet which when we went was made up of 6 hot dishes, 4 of which were vegan, plus the salad bar was totally vegan. They also do different burgers and filled rolls. The food was fresh and tasty, the place is on the main street opposite the shopping centre and the upstairs seating is a good place to sit and watch the world go by. My girlfriend noticed that they did for different sweet pies/crumbles so we went back the following day for breakfast. I had Rhubarb, she had blueberry, both with a vanilla sauce. I would recommend going here as by Swedish standards it represents value for money, the food is good and the staff helpful.

Ex cellent Value, Good Vegan Choices - Edit

They had two Vegan choices for entree when I went - a Vegan lasagne and a Vegan curry chickpea stew. I had the stew which was a nice mix of chickpeas, potatoes and onions in a yellow curry. They provided a very large plate of hot food and also a nice raw salad bar with vegetable and nut choices. The food was tasty and the entire meal was only 79Kr. The staff spoke excellent English and helped me identify the Vegan options. Location is steps from Central Station and just across from Nordstan mall.

Pros: Vegan options, Inexpensive, Convenient location

hearty food - Edit

Nice deal from what you get from. I had a large salad taken from the buffet, followed by vegan lasagna and beans stew. Simple cuisine, good portions. As a dessert we had some nicely scented chocolate and oat balls, which were tasty and good.

Pros: good value

Cons: menu only in Swedish

really bad! - Edit

worst in town. The Buffet food is always sitting under heating lamps and gets overcooked and dry. I have a feeling they microwave the food. I've also seen them deal with money and the next second make a burger..? not okey. Some of the Staff are not vegetarian.

Cons: Bad food, wierd staff, they serve tuna!

Mixed food, good prices - Edit

For 79 SEK you can really pile up a large plate - I couldn't finish mine! The main courses are good quality but not amazing, whereas the cakes really are something to write home about. Vegan options are clearly labelled.

Ok - Edit

Andrum is a nice place with many different vegan options, I would recommend anything that have their lovely pea-pesto ("ärtpesto" on the Swedish menu). They vegan main courses are changed every day but the salad buffet is mostly the same. However the amount of spice is usually a bit bland and they don't take credit cards.

Pros: Pea-pesto

Cons: No seconds, No credit cards

Great good-value buffet - Edit

We visited Andrum twice in the evening recently. It was really quiet both times but seemed to be packed when we passed it one lunchtime. The boards and instructions were confusing (and I understand Swedish) but once we'd figured out the buffet we really enjoyed it. Hot dishes are included so I was sooo spoilt for choice. The staff didn't harass you or run up and offer help while we were staring at the menu but I wouldn't say they were unhelpful - when asked, they were pleasant. Cake choices were great for vegans too. They shut at 8pm Sunday and when we arrived at 7pm the girl seemed panicky and had started clearing some things up because they shut so soon though?!

Pros: Value, Location, Range of dishes

Cons: Complicated to understand menu/price

Not exciting but good enough - Edit

I found this quite good, things weren't clearly labelled for vegan vs. vegetarian but otherwise no complaints and it is right in the city.

Pros: good value, wide range of food, location

Cons: buffet without instruction, labelling not always clear, very busy

Okay for lunch, but not for dinner - Edit

If you like a school type lunch with total self-service, uncomfy seating and a cashier with a "couldn't care less" attitude, you'll feel right at home at Andrum. Unfortunately it's not the breathing space it calls itself, but makes you want to leave ASAP. I won't go back.

Pros: You can pick the food yourself

Cons: Staff, Mediocre food, Atmosphere

It's a restaurant - Edit

They do serve food, a vegan burger which I have never had the pleasure of eating since they ran out of them the first time and had closed the kitchen the second time i was there. Unfortunately they didn't manage to fix something else vegan which surprised me since the are a vegetarian cafe and should be prepared for such a request.They did have vegan crumbelpies with vegan vanilla sauce though.
Quite a large restaurant near the central station.

Pros: location

Good place! - Edit

We found this buffet style vegetarian resaurant pleasant and economical. We went back the next night and the main courses were the same so we went to the malasian place next door which had some good bead curd dishes. All in all, we reccommend Andrum!

Pros: good food, setting

Cons: repeated the menu 2 niite

Return to Gothenburg Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Andrum Cafe and Restaurant closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 4974 times since Aug 2007.