First Review by jaz151

DELICIOUS vegan food in Novi Sad - Edit

I arrived here shortly after opening, so their lunch menu (which sounded delicious) wasn't available until 1pm. I was left with the option of take out, so I grabbed a slice of the vegan pizza and a cake. The food was incredible, the pizza, which tasted more like a vegan quiche to me was so flavourful, and the cake was similar to Apple pita, an apple strudel like Serbian cake that my Baka back in Aus makes. The staff are friendly and speak English, and the food is very reasonably priced. I would highly recommend this place for anyone in Novi sad.

Pros: Delicious food , Friendly staff, lovely atmosphere

Cons: Only take out available until 1pm

Handy Vegan Option in Novi Sad - Edit

We arrived quite close to closing time so they didn't have a lot of options left but we still very much enjoyed what we had. We tried the Broccoli Cream Soup, Sandwich and Samosa.

Great prices and very friendly staff. They seem to have a lot of meals each day so it would be great to go back and try more.

It's also a nice, short walk through a pleasant neighbourhood if you happen to be walking from the city centre.

Pros: Great Tasting Food!, Staff, Independent Restaurant

Mixed picture - Edit

I had the daily meal (which consists of a soup and a main dish plus a simple green salad). The soup (with a slice of freshly baked bread) was too salty and lukewarm. The main dish was fancy: Rice with seeds, breaded (?!) red cabbage balls and grated carrots in a vegan mayonnaise - I hope I've named this correctly -, the combination of foods was definitely unusual. Unfortunately the main dish was lukewarm too, but everything seemed very fresh.

All this was not cheap - and here I disagree with other reviewers: 450 Dinar (~ 4 dollar) is unaffordable for a large portion of the population and can't compete with many other restaurants - which the restaurant probably doesn't want to do anyway.

The service was prompt and English speaking - and as friendly as the atmosphere generally.

I'm glad this restaurant exists - and I'm likely to return. The general quality is still good and - there are apparently no alternatives in Novi Sad.
Updated from previous review on Friday March 13, 2015

Pros: fresh, good quality

Cons: lukewarm, salty

NatashaNS I see you disagreed with others concerning the prices in Ananda, and would like to clear out some things.
Those prices they have really aren't expensive at all. For a very nice, fulfilling meal (depends how hungry you are, of course), that really isn't much. There probably are some places out there with the same prices and way higher income, but Serbia just "got used" to certain prices, so when you compare Serbian income with all sorts of prices you see in the city, you'd say "damn, how do you live at all?", but people would say "no, that one is pretty ok, actually" (again it depends, of course).
There's a place in Novi Sad where a piece of cake is 50 dinars or so, and people say "omg, that's SO cheap!". No it isn't. It just a very realistic price.

But ah well, I could go on about this until forever....
I just wanted to try to explain to you how the situation is in Serbia. :)
I'm glad you visited Novi Sad, btw. Ananda is the only vegan place we have, but it's a very good one! :)

Hurry up and eat here - Edit

I managed to eat there only once because the restaurant closes at 6pm and isn't open on Sundays. The food was tasty and constituted a complete meal. I also had a very tasty Indian spiced muffin (which survived the trip to the other part of the city, although the staff warned me it wouldn't). The food is very cheap by the western standards and quite affordable by Serbian standards as well.

Pros: very good value, tasty food

Cons: closes at 6pm

Don't feel like cooking today? Go to Ananda! - Edit

I'm eating in this vegan restaurant 4 to 5 times a week for more than 3 years. And all I can say is that it is fantastic. You can take away your cooked lunch or good sandwich for breakfast or diner, or enjoy a nice artistic atmosphere with very friendly staff. Prices are very affordable.

Only proper place for vegans in Novi Sad - Edit

Have been several times in this restaurant close to the center.It's vegan-only, tasty, portions big enough, fair price, kind service, nice space.

Pros: Price, Taste, Service

Cons: Not enough raw options

Regarding the listed price-category - Edit

i am from novi sad and I love to eat at Ananda. One thing I would never say about it is that it is moderately priced. Why, beacuse it is cheap. You can have the whole main mail with home maid wholewheat bread and amazing fresh green seasonal salad for 3,5 euros up to 4 euros. Soup price is 1,5 Euros. Amazing vegan cakes are around 1 euro..

So enjoy your meal in this lovely place with low prices.

xoxo

fantastic to find Vegan in Novi Sad - Edit

Visited this restaurant when staying in Novi Sad for EXIT festival and I was so pleasantly surprised to find them here! They have daily dishes and when we visited it was a vegan pasta, like Bolognaise style with soy chunks in replace of meat. We also had tempura veg and desserts.

The desserts were Indian inspired and really nice with spices such as cinammon.

The owners are lovely and dedicated to veganism.

Pros: Service, Price, Service

Return to Novi Sad Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Ananda closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2988 times since Dec 2009.