Ananda Fuara

415-621-1994

1298 Market St (at 9th, Civic Center district), San Francisco, California, USA, 94102

San Francisco vegetarian restaurant offering a variety of Asian-inspired meals alongside Indian dishes and American foods like veggie burgers and sandwiches. A Sri Chinmoy enterprise. Free meditation classes offered. Weekend brunch til 3pm. Open Tue-Sat 11:00am-8:00pm, Sun 11:00am-3:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, Indian, Take-out, Asian

First Review by cassius

convenient, pretty good - Edit

The location is very convenient for me, so I often pick up meals. The food can be prepared vegan, and is wholesome and tasty. It's not the fanciest or in highest echelons of veggie restaurants, but good.

The neighborhood is a little mixed (though parts are rapidly gentrifying), in case you're a tourist and find yourself surprised.....

One of my Favorites in SF out of 3 in SF - Edit

I love the variety of food they serve here. Unfortunately i don't get to go as often as I like to this restaurant, but i am never disappointed. This last time we loved the Portobello Quesadilla…. They offer such a variety of dishes (including daily specials) that everyone can be pleased… everything from down home, mexican, Italian and Indian. Only downside of this restaurant is if you are driving a car it can be a little difficult to park. but i try to go at times that there would be parking open nearby...

Pros: Excellent Food, Great value - ample portions, Friendly staff

Cons: Parking

One of my favorite places for amazing vegan food in SF - Edit

After my first visit, I quickly become a loyal patron at Ananda Fuara. They have a wide and creative menu with regular specials. Their veggie burger is tops and I love their hummus. I would suggest this place at top 3 vegan restaurants in San Francisco. It's also conveniently located.

Pros: Great food, Affordable, Friendly staff

Cons: Not in the most beautiful district of SF

friendly, tasty, lots of vegan options inc. amazing desserts - Edit

We would highly recommend Ananda Fuara: tasty, varied menu with big portion sizes. More than half of the menu was vegan, and all the desserts!
The staff were lovely, especially our server Daniel. Those good vibes are showing!
Try the Yogi tea for a spicy pick-me-up. Samosas were our favourite appetiser, and the vegan burger.
The decor and the vibe are homely and relaxed. Prices are very reasonable.

Pros: lots of variety on menu, generous portion sizes , Vegan cakes, ice cream and sorbet!

Long time occassional patron - Edit

I've been going to Anada Fuara since the 80's when they were on Taravel Street. The new location is smaller, so you may need to wait for a seat during popular times.

The food is delicious; my favorite is the Neat Loaf, which unfortunately is not vegan. But they do have several vegan options, and vegan items are marked as such on the menu (some items are not, for example the curry sauce is sometimes vegan and sometimes not, you have to ask each day).

Pros: Great food!, Funky vibe.

Cons: Not a pleasant corner to wait at if there is a lin

Eccentric spot - Edit

I'd been looking forward to trying Ananda Fuara - for their vast menu of vegetarian options and well-rated chocolate cake! There's not much else around in the direct vicinity of it, and you'd miss it if you weren't looking out for it. Yet they seemed to get very strong traffic the whole time we were there (during the lunch hour on Saturday). It's a very zen-type ambience - certainly not fancy, but inviting. The waitress was in a sari and the staff seemed quite laid back.

The menu had a huge amount of options - from smoothies and salads to veggie burgers and many Indian-inspired dishes. They also feature a large tea menu and a full dessert case (many of which were vegan)! We both got the Neatloaf Dinner, as we'd heard strong reviews about it. Definitely a good portion size for your money! Their site describes it as, "Our specialty! A juicy loaf made from grains, eggs, ricotta cheese, tofu and spices blended together and baked, topped with a tangy tomato-based sauce. Served with mashed potatoes and mushroom gravy. Now vegan upon request." We both had the vegan version - it was very hearty. We each got two large slabs of neatloaf, along with a mountain of mashed potatoes covered in their thick mushroom gravy. The "tangy tomato-based sauce" was more sweet than tangy to me, which would probably be the one thing I'd change about the dish. My boyfriend asked for hot sauce to put on his, which I think balanced the flavor a bit more. The mashed potatoes were good, though they didn't have a lot of spice to them. If I'd more evenly distributed the gravy throughout the potatoes, this may have counteracted that. However, they could have used a bit of garlic, onion and pepper. The mushroom gravy was terrific - generous hunks of mushrooms throughout and a good serving of it. Nice to taste the neatloaf with a bite of the potato and gravy.

For dessert, we had to try the chocolate cake. We were delivered another generous portion, however, the cake wasn't complemented by whipped cream/ice cream, etc. (I'd have appreciated a vegan topping here). I generally prefer frostings/fudgey centers to the actual cake. This one had a fair amount of frosting, and it was a nice texture without being too oily or buttery with a nice, rich chocolate flavor. The cake part itself was good - certainly moist and made well - but is just not my favorite part of the dessert, regardless of where I get a cake.

Overall, fast and friendly service with reasonable prices.

It could be better - Edit

I don't like giving a business negative rating but I felt compelled to do so. A group of friends and I visited Ananda Fuara over the weekend.
Appetizer: We had the Hummus, and it was not fresh, it had an brown tinge on the surface.

Salad with bad dressing and wilting brown lettuce. Also, no variety, all the salads on the menu were mixed-greens, how about a quinoa or brown rice salad with arugula and toasted pine nuts and caramelized garlic, lemon and olive oil dressing?

Dinner: I ordered the curry dinner, I was expecting cardamon, cumin, peppers, but no, nothing, it was bland, the mango chutney was pureed mangos, not a chutney at all.

Attention those who are celiacs and must be GF, their GF menu has gluten containing items! I have celiac, and their gluten free menu had items with barley, which contains gluten. When I asked our server why the barley, he stated "Some celiac patients who aren't sensitive can eat gluten", ummm no, they can't.

Servers: It took forever to get someone to visit our table and refill our water glasses, a friend who arrived late ordered a dish that required silver set up, waited 20 minutes for our server to return. Waiter was very nice, but never stopped by to see if our food was ok.

Again, I hate writing this kind of review, I spoke to their manager but didn't get very far.

Pros: Nice waiter??

Cons: too many to list, Bad Health Department scores, Gluten containing items in their GF menu

tasty home-cooked food - Edit

Great spot in a not so great neighborhood. The spinach artichoke ravioli was delicious. The neatloaf was so-so. I loved the mango lassi.

nice place - Edit

Really good food for veg and vegan. Friendly (and sometimes not too fast) staff. Peaceful environment (even in the midst of the not-so-peaceful neighborhood). All for a reasonable price.

Pros: peaceful, good vegan and veg food, friendly

Cons: sometimes slow, crowded during performance nights

Truly a gem - Edit

Ananda Fuara is so quietly and consistently excellent that I don't think it receives as much acknowledgment as it truly should for being an outstanding vegetarian and vegan restaurant in San Franciso. They have about 50% vegan and 50% vegetarian options so plenty for everyone. I work nearby and it is honestly the most popular restaurant in the area for both vege people and meat eaters alike because the food is fresh, delicious and very reasonably priced. Their best dishes are their scrumptious dal soup, remarkably fresh salads (their lemon tahini dressing is to die for), curry dishes, neatloaf sandwiches and desserts. Thanks to Ananda Fuara, I can have freshly baked vegan cake and pies every and any day of the week! Now if only they would offer vegan ice cream . . .

Also, as a person who has been eating there for decades, I have never been approached by anyone in even the subtlest fashion about meditation or their spiritual affiliation. So I think it sends the wrong message to say here that the restaurant is affiliated with Sri Chimnoy and from my experience untrue that they offer meditation. This may discourage people from going there. Yes, the waitresses wear saris but as a business woman who works close by, I find that charming and adds to the peaceful atmosphere.

Pros: Kind, prompt service, Pretty, peaceful atmosphere, Fresh, outstanding food

Cons: No vegan ice cream, No vegan chocolate chip cookies, No vegan milkshakes

paulalecht 17 Sep 2015 - Well someone at Ananda Fuara must've been listening because now they have vegan chocolate chip cookies, yay!

Average but I'm happy it's there - Edit

This is vegetarian food for the masses. For the lunch crowd that needs a sandwich. It is not very creative or amazing, but it's the solution if you're in downtown and are hungry, need to eat NOW!
I love the fact that they have Teecino lattes. That is awesome! With almond milk! Where else can you have that?

I have had the nutloaf, curries, salads, it was always pretty good but nothing fantastic. I like the meditative vibe....that Shri Chinmoy was an inspiring dude.

Pros: it's right there, teecino lattes, nice folks

Cons: not an inspiring menu, lots of dairy and gluten

Chill veggie spot - Edit

We were glad to see that we had a vegetarian restaurant right across from our hotel. We shared the tofu scramble (which comes with your choice of 5 different flavour combos)and the gingerbread pancakes. Both were yummy. Quick too!

Vegetarian

Contributions +11

Ehh - Edit

i've eaten here a few times, mostly picking up and taking the food back to my apartment because it's faster and more private, of course. Other than the daily special, nothing on the menu changes, and if you while here for a while, you would like to have some more variety. This is the only all-vegetarian restaurant in this part of town that isn't all Asian food. The portions are on the short side for the price, and i personally wouldn't get any sides for the price.
i would not recommend the gingerbread pancakes that are available on the brunch menu. They were very spicy, and while i'm sensitive to this, i think it would be slightly overwhelming for most people.
All in all, it's alright if you're in the area, but it isn't a regular for me.

Pros: enough vegan options

Cons: a bit pricey, portions on the small side

popular place for food - Edit

This is one of the few restaurants that non veg folks love to go for food.

I love their Indian food and their fresh salad. Mash potato and mushroom gravy is what I order all the time. The desserts look better than they taste. Most are not vegan. Wish the waiters will dress as nice as the ladies wearing colorful SARIs.

Pros: fresh, tasty, popular

Contributions +27

Feasting inside the meditative blue walls. - Edit

My two non-vegetarian friends and I (I am vegan) ate here yesterday for lunch and were treated to an awesome meal. My friend and I both had the veggie burgers, thick, hearty patties on chewy, delicious wheat bread with lettuce, tomato and grilled onions. A side salad featured greens, carrots and my fave, shredded raw beets. My partner ordered the Neatloaf sandwich, which filled him up for hours and didn't give him the digestive after-effects of a animal lunch. We shared (no actually, they tasted and I scarfed!) a piece of vegan chocolate cake which was the best I'd ever eaten..lovely staff, busy but efficient, we'd visit again and again.

Pros: Fresh, Reasonably-priced, many choices

Cons: Wacky decor, tight spaces, can be expensive

Nice Vegetarian Place - Edit

Ananda's would not be one of the first places I recommend in SF, but my experience there was pleasant and the food was pretty good.
I tried the curry wrap made with brown rice and the curry of the day which was a mushroom curry. It was pretty tasty, and came with a side of pasta salad, which was good also. My husband had the vegan ravioli which he seemed pleased with.
He also got a slice of banana coconut pie which was nice as well.
I would go back to Ananada's, and am giving it 4 stars because it is a nice, mostly healthy, veg place.

Pros: All vegetarian, Good curry, Casual but nice atmosphere

Cons: Not all vegan, Slightly bland

quiet and simple - Edit

after our volunteer day at sf pride 2011 my partner and i ate at ananda fuara having seen it last year right close to where we were setting up. we had the hummus wrap sandwich and the neatloaf dinner, and both were excellent. neither were full of sugar, or fat or salt, so those of you insisting that the flavors of foods at ananda are bland, well there is your answer. healthy foods frequently dont taste like moms cooking now do they?

the space was bright and clean, the wait staff was on time and efficient and the bathrooms were excellent, clean and large.

easy to get to and well worth the trip if you have to make it a destination. ill eat there again any time i am in the area. coming away from lunch with a small bag of fresh vegan pastries and cookies is always a great way to finish a meal. try the peanut butter cookie. vegan and though not so low in fat, super tasty!

Pros: vegan baked goods, interior

Cons: parking

Decent but they need to add more vegan options - Edit

I had heard good things about this restaurant and decided to give it a try for lunch today. As I came closer I saw a waiting line going out on the street, so obviously the place is that popular! While waiting I made friends with someone in front of me, and we decided to simply share a table to cut the wait time down, which turned out very nice.

The menu is a bit disappointing if you are vegan. Most options are vegetarian and many come with dairy. Nothing wrong with that, but in a true veg restaurant I always hope to find something that the mainstream restaurants don't offer, and not just the veg Indian curries and cheese sandwiches that I can find anywhere else. So I settled for a vegan version of the "neatloaf", which they served with a great fresh salad as a lunch special. This was a very tasty, light lunch at a good price.

I would come back and try something else, but personally I would gravitate more to one of the Asian veg places that have more vegan dishes by default, since many Asians don't care much for dairy.

Pros: tasty "neatloaf", great salad, freindly staff

Cons: need more vegan options

Return to San Francisco Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Ananda Fuara closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.