An Lac Duyen

714-534-4400

8851 Garden Grove Blvd Ste 115, Garden Grove, California, USA, 92844

Traditional Vietnamese vegetarian restaurant run by Buddhist nun and monks. Noodle dishes are specialties. Uses milk for coffee but no animal products, MSG or processed sugar used in dishes. Open Mon-Sun 10:00am-10:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Take-out, Vietnamese

First Review by spiceislandvegan

Delish An Lac Duyen - Edit

Went with family: everyone loved it. Big menu, a menu with photos too. Also flat screens throughout tantalize with images of dishes. Staff were super nice, quick, attentive. Ran into the "chief chef," who said she was a nun. Good energy, hearty food.

Pros: Delectable, gorgeously plated food., Smiling cool staff., Attractive interior, lots of parking.

Cons: Bigger portions would be enjoyed.

Au lucky me this place is super close to home - Edit

I was out apartment hunting with my cousin we were just about done for the afternoon and she was hungry, I had heard of this place and decided to check it out. The center is just plain funky looking. The center is just plain strange looking and this place is tucked way in the back. Trust me this place is amazing

The décor was nice and it was extremely quiet and calming inside. This is not the place to go if you are in a rush or looking for an exciting over stimulating dining experience. So if you prefer to enjoy your meal in peace totally come here .

They have 2 sheets for their menu one has pictures and numbers and the other has item names numbers and descriptions of the food. We looked at the pictures and then read what it was and came to a decision.

We ordered iced tea it was freshly steeped and then poured over ice. Obviously fresh and not very strong, very refreshing but oddly served in styrofoam cups.

For a appetizer we ordered spring rolls with mushrooms. There are several spring roll options I very much enjoyed ours the fillings ere all fresh and the peanut sauce was very good

Our main course was # 69 I don't know the name but it was a tempeh with a lemon grass curry sauce served with bellpeppers. We ordered rice with it and the sauce was out of this world good. This entire dish was so insanely good I had to have restraint not to keep eating.

The portion size for the price was great, items described above fed myself, my cousin, and I took left overs home to Buttercup and she was satisfied as well.

Just a heads up the staff is very limited in their English language skills so just know that and stay as calm as they are and you will have a great meal.

Pros: Deliscious, Plenty of options, tehir tempeh is amaz!

Cons: menu is kinda hard to navigate, that , is all

Compassionate Eating - Edit

An Lac Duyen, which roughly means karmic meeting with equanimity and happiness, is a vegetarian restaurant that serves delicious dishes. My parents are full time vegetarians; two of my siblings and I had made several attempts to become vegetarians. So we have searched and had tried many different veggie restaurants in LA and OC areas, and An Lac Duyen is definitely our favorite.

An Lac Duyen, with its Zen-like atmosphere, feels like an oasis of tranquility in the middle of this stressed out society. The staff is always ready to eagerly welcome you in with a genuine friendly smile. One of the reasons the food here is so tasty is its use of ridiculously massive amount of vegetable to produce non-MSG broth. It is also healthy thanks its minimum use of unhealthy oil and salt.

There were tons of different dishes/entrees to choose from. We had ordered spring rolls with veggie ham and shrimp for appetizer, veggie wonton noodles, veggie special combination fried rice noodle, veggie Pho... All of them were delicious.

An Lac Duyen is run by a Buddhist nun named Tinh Phuoc who draws a sizable portion of the restaurant earnings to help different non-profit organizations. So by eating here, you eat compassionately and you also help the less fortunate people. An Lac Duyen's delectable dishes will entice more of us to go meatless, or at least reduce the consumption of animals that we often claimed to love. If you live within 30 miles of this restaurant, please stop by. You will not be deceived.

Pros: No-MSG broth using only vegetable base, Delicious dishes, Reasonable price

Cons: Coffee & milk use condensed dairy milk

Lovely spot - Edit

The review by "spiceislandvegan" already says a lot of things I'd like to say. The place has a very nice vibe, staff are super friendly and humble, and the food is good. The prices are a bit higher than some of the other Vietnamese places in the area, but the portions are also quite bigger so it compensates well. I'm not blown away by the food, as I think some of the other places nearby are tastier, but I give An Lac Duyen 5 Cows because I really like what they're doing and the energy they keep is great. =)

Pros: Very nice Buddhist nuns, Peaceful atmosphere, Good portions

Cons: Food is good, though not spectacular.

Traditional Vegetarian Buddhist Vietnamese - Edit

The first time I visited this restaurant, I brought my vegan Vietnamese friend to translate the menu for me. My friend talked to the chef of the restaurant. It's a good thing because of the language barrier. I was told that although the menu says 'eggs', there are no eggs in the dish. Due to language barrier, they don't know how to translate items on the menu from Vietnamese to English. We were also told that they are making new menu.

The chef is a Buddhist nun and when we were there for lunch we (with my Vietnamese friend) were served by nun and monks. We were told that the restaurant does not use MSG or processed sugar. There are no animal products in the dishes. Although they use milk in the coffee drinks.

Location: It's in the New Seoul Plaza in Garden Grove. It is next to a big Korean BBQ place for crying out loud. Parking maybe crowded so I don't know what to do if I can't find a parking spot. Maybe park at the shopping center next door to it.

Food: OMG! This is the best Vegetarian Vietnamese! The second time I visited, I brought my husband and he said that he had the best BBQ vermicelli dish in this restaurant. I had the Smoked Duck Noodle Soup. So yummy! I like the hot tea since it tastes a bit sweet, like it has a flower or something in it.

Price: Reasonable since portion is big. My husband could not finish his BBQ vermicelli.

Service: Very good! The first time I was there, we were served by monks. They were very polite and friendly. The second time, a young guy served us and he can speak English so it was great. All in all, they provide a great and friendly service.

Atmosphere: On the outside, parking lot is crowded and a lot of people come and go to the Korean restaurant. However, once inside, it is peaceful and tranquil. There is a wall of water or a fountain that provides a peaceful sound. The music is also calming all the nerves of fighting for a parking spot outside.

We came back again the following week and this time there were a lot of parking spots. I think Friday night is better than Saturday night. Maybe Sunday is even better with the parking situation.

Food is so delicious. It is our little secret place and not too many people know about it yet.

My husband ordered broken rice. I ordered 'fish' noodle soup.

Service is always excellent. Workers are so humble.

Pros: Yummy food, Large serving, Tranquil environment, quiet

Cons: Parking can be a problem

Return to Garden Grove Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has An Lac Duyen closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.