Amma's Kitchen

Contact 513-821-2021

7633 Reading Rd, Cincinnati, Ohio, USA, 45237

Cincinnati Indian food restaurant. Offers a daily lunch buffet, and a la carte dinner menu. Dairy is used, so vegans to inquire. Previously named Udipi Cafe. Open Mon-Sun 11:00am-2:30pm, Mon-Sun 5:30pm-9:30pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Indian, Buffet

First Review by lnwn

Vegan Lunch Buffet on Wednesdays - Edit

The hot buffet bar on Wednesdays is completely vegan. The items on the cold bar that contain dairy is clearly marked.

Pros: Vegan Buffet on Wednesdays, Good Food at a Good Price, Friendly Staff

A paradise for vegetarian foody - Edit

I was much delighted to find a vegetarian restaurant near mason. My husband and I relished lunch buffet on a friday. We didn't expect much crowd on a weekday but most of the tables were occupied! There was fresh food, good service, clean crockery and very nice aroma all around. Variety of food and desserts won our hearts. For $8.99, lunch buffet was more than a delight. I am looking forward to visit Amma's kitchen soon. This time on weekend to enjoy indian-chat!

tasty vegan options - Edit

Once I talked to a staff member and discovered that the majority of the buffet options were vegan, I was very happy. I tried everything [vegan] and was very happy. I am a big fan of South Indian food like this.

The place is medium sized, with a nice, but not exceptional ambiance. I got the impression that lunch (and possibly dinner) is buffet-only (only 9$!), FYI. Only a few things were marked as vegan, but many more things were vegan than were labeled as such - be sure to ask the staff.

I ate here on Friday, June 20 (lunch) with my partner and her friend [non-vegans]; we all enjoyed our meal.

Pros: good vegan options, tasty, inexpensive

Cons: vegan items may not be labeled

My absolute favorite restaurant in the world. - Edit

I've loved Indian food since I was a kid, but I didn't understand the depth and breadth of Indian cuisine until I started going to Amma's. Many Northern Indian restaurants feature similar menus, no matter where in the world I've tried them. Southern Indian restaurants remind me that there are actually about 100 different nations squeezed into India...and they all do different and incredible things with veggies. I'm not sure if it's entirely because Jainism is practiced more in the south of India, but these restaurants tend to have an incredible array of vegan options. Amma's Kitchen is the queen of them all, and believe it or not, it's here in Cincinnati! I've moved away and lived in many cities and countries, and have only recently moved back, and Amma's still tops them all. Every Wednesday is vegan buffet day, but every day is amazing for vegans in this kosher, 100% vegetarian place. True, the setting isn't Nirvana; it's not the prettiest place, but the workers try to cheer it up for different holidays. And not only is the food delicious, but until I went to Amma's I hadn't seen Indian food with really great presentation. Yes, the silver bowls and lovely place settings of many places are fabulous, but at Amma's the food itself is often arranged so well if you order a dinner. The staff is friendly and will answer any questions they can about the food or India. They make substitutions and they know their ingredients. Every time I eat at Amma's (and that has to be at least 50 times over the years by now) I try to get something new. Their menu is huge and even offers Northern Indian dishes and Sino-Indian and Nepali-Indian combinations. I'm never bored. It's always good. Always. When I come into town, this is the only restaurant I MUST go to visit; many of my friends agree. It's ever-changing, but always delicious. It shows how versatile veggies can be. I sometimes just let the staff make me whatever they want because it's always good! I remember going there for the first time as a vegetarian and feeling complete freedom to eat anything! This was, of course, before completely veg*n restaurants had really come to the area and my veggie friends and I almost cried tears of joy, having grown up subsisting on french fries and grilled cheese here in the American Middle West...foreign food was always our best bet, and Amma's is the best of all. When in Cincy, it's a must
Updated from previous review on Wednesday January 15, 2014

Pros: New and exciting flavors of India!, Not expensive and 100% vegetarian., Wednesday Vegan Buffets!

i am going back - Edit

I came with my brother and mother who have switched to veganism and it was an enjoyable experience. I am very partial to Indian cuisine and absolutely loved everything at the buffet. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful in assisting my brother (picky palate) with finding something to new try. I will be going here again.

Pros: great service, great price, excellent staff

go to place for Indian food! - Edit

They understand what vegan is and have everything marked on the menu. The food is delicious and there are tons of options. The lentil and chickpea dishes are amazing!

Pros: all vegetarian and vegan

Cons: location might make some people skeptical

pretty good buffet - Edit

I love indian food. This buffet is not even close to the best buffet I have had but it was okay. I was disappointed in the breads, they were kind of dried out and seemed like they had been sitting there too long. And the entrees were also disappointing because my favorites were missing in action. Where were the potatoes? Where were the chana? But the dishes that were there were still good and flavorful. I have to say the rice had dried out too and there were crunchy bits. I think the main problem was that there isn't enough business and we arrived late in the buffet service. So I do plan to go back and try again but go earlier. I was pretty excited by the soups, they were right on! Service was great. Please do try this place. I think if more people go there the probs I mentioned will resolve. They have a vegan buffet once a week. The outside of the place looks kind of uninviting but the inside is fine.

Pros: 100% vegeterian, friendly staff, flavorful

Cons: not enough business, neighborhood

Return to Cincinnati Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Amma's Kitchen closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 4350 times since Aug 2007.