CLOSED: Ambrosia Veggie House

Contact 587-350-8848

1009-4 Ave SW, Calgary, Alberta, Canada, T2P 0K8

Mainly vegan menu of Chinese and Pan Asian foods located on the bottom floor of the Avatamsaka Monastery on the Bow River. Closes winter months til late-March. APR 2016 REPORTED SHUT. Open Mon 11:30am-2:00pm, Mon 5:00pm-9:00pm, Thu 11:30am-2:00pm, Thu 5:00pm-9:00pm, Fri 11:30am-2:00pm, Fri 5:00pm-9:00pm, Sat 11:30am-2:00pm, Sat 5:00pm-9:00pm, Sun 11:30am-2:00pm, Sun 5:00pm-9:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Chinese, Pan Asian

First Review by Tompaint

Awesome food and great service - Edit

the food was high quality and delicious. Service was kind and attentive. I highly recommend this place!!

Pros: excellent food, good value, friendly staff

Cons: in a slightly weird location

Wonderful - Edit

Modern restaurant with a fine view. The service was prompt,
attentive, considerate, happy. The food was interesting, surprising, and tasty.
It was a pleasant Sunday dinner, and had a good crowd, mostly
families. I think that they will do very well if they continue
as they have so far.

Pros: Variety, Flavor, Service

Cons: I like this place, no Cons

Fantastic food, fantastic service! - Edit

I came here by myself last Sunday, and the first thing I have to say was that the view is incredible! The interior is very clean and modern, with a relaxed ambience. As the restaurant is situated inside of the existing Avatamsaka Monastery, I personally found it a bit deterring and had to work up a tiny bit of courage to walk in, but the all the staff members were welcoming.

My waitress was extremely friendly and patient, and helped me choose my dishes. I ordered the vegetables in curry with a side of white jasmine rice. The curry was not as spicy as I had anticipated, but delicious. There is plenty of sauce, which went very well with the rice. The meal was very filling, although I wished that there was a bit less of the curry sauce (it was more of a soup than a sauce), and more vegetables.

One thing however, is that the prices are just a bit higher for the amount of food you're getting. Still very good though!

Pros: Excellent food, Friendly Staff

Cons: A Bit Pricey

Ambrosia Veggie House - Edit

Like House special noodles were great- it had some sort of mock meat/tofu that I hadn't known about before hand - which was a great surprise. I went in for take out and the service was quite quick. Sadly the lunch special was over which seemed like the best deal. The ambiance was amazing with soothing music and fresh flowers on all the tables. I liked that is was located inside the temple/ The staff was polite and friendly. When I got home not only was the dishes labeled but also artistically drawn on- which I thought was a nice personalized touch. The "ginger beef" used real ginger, but was a bit dry was my liking, but still very good. Two dishes cost $28.88 before tip. The service was quite quick, but the place was quiet which only two other seated individuals together. I thought the serving sizes could of been larger. I've had better mock meat dished. Overall a fairly good experience.

Pros: Quite quick/mock meat, Fresh Flowers/Beautiful music/Ambiance, Polite/Nice staff

Cons: Smaller portion sizes , Mock meat dish felt a bit limited

great new addition to Calgary - Edit

A gorgeous location along the river in downtown Calgary. Very nice staff. Great food and value. My favourite is the peanut satay sticks and the turnip cake. Nice ambiance with lots of seating. Lunch specials as well. The menu is almost all vegan.

Great find! - Edit

Ambrosia is a new restaurant, located on the main floor of the Buddhist temple by the Bow River. We sat at a table by the window, enjoying the scenery of the river park, the 10th Street bridge, and the joggers and pedestrians on the river pathway. The restaurant has a very peaceful ambiance. We were there at lunchtime and chose the $8.95 lunch combo. ($9.45 if you opt for brown rice instead of white rice or fried rice.) You choose one of four options to start (such as salad, veggie tempura, or spring rolls), two of six options (such as stir fry veggies, potato and tofu curry, sweet and sour soy nuggets, ma-po; then either steamed rice (brown or white), fried rice, or fried vermicelli. They indicate any items with gluten by marking it "G" by the item. Between the two of us, we tried tempura, spring rolls, stir fry, potato and tofu curry, and ma-po, and we each tasted all of them. Our favorites: tempura and ma-po, though everything was good. I thought that the serving sizes were just fine. Out of curiosity, we looked over the dinner menu, which offers a large range of main dishes, priced between $11 and $13. Our server was a capable young woman who paid attention to us, without hovering, and who was friendly and courteous as she answered all our questions. I am delighted that I discovered Ambrosia through Happy Cow. I will be back often.

Authentic and Delicious Chinese Vegetarian Food - Edit

I've been there for lunch combo and regular dinner services, and I've greatly enjoyed both of their options. Lunch combo comes with several choices, reasonably priced and surprisingly filling! Regular dinner menu offers a variety of options from dishes that caters to both people not familiar with Chinese food, and those who seek authentic flavors with healthy choices in Chinese dishes. The dinner dishes were also in bountiful portions, some had hearty sauces that goes well with rice! I also love they have several appetizer and drink choices that are creative and delicious, can't usually find these options in other Chinese restaurants. Would definitely stop by there with other friends, and would recommend to anyone traveling here to stop by for a tryout, as a restaurant like this is hard to come by in US & Canada.

Pros: Hearty portions, Nice selection of appetizer/drinks, Easily accessible by public transit

Mediocre - Edit

Ambrosia is part of a Buddhist Temple which is a very cool-looking building and its also nice because you know it is vegan. Inside the restaurant they have done a very good job it is clean and modern.
We went for lunch and the waitress was not a very good listener and not educated on the menu items.
I decided to have the lunch combo which is a very good price and you get to choose from a variety of things.
I had yam fries which came out cold and with way too much batter on them, noodles which were also cold and lacking in flavour, a Chinese brocoli and Bok Choy stir fry which was pretty fresh but very plain, and tofu and potato in a curry sauce which was better than everything else but still lukewarm and not as good as I expected.
The other person I was with had a sweet and sour soy dish that was very good.
It sounds like a lot of food but you just get a small bit of each of these things which really fills you up.
Not sure if I will go back maybe I will but I would try one of the main dishes not the lunch combo.

Pros: Clean and modern , Good Value

Cons: Inexperienced Staff, Cold food

Return to Calgary Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Ambrosia Veggie House closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 4636 times since Jul 2014.