American
Fast food
Take-out

Amateur coffee roasting company opened its vegan cafe in the Joslyn Castle neighborhood in Jan 2018. Serves a variety of beverages, including oatmilk latte and drinks. Makes gluten-free waffles and brings in vegan pastries by Sweet Magnolia’s Bakery. Open Mon-Sun 7:00am-2:00pm.

Venue map for Amateur Coffee

Mostly Veg
19 Jan 2024

Chicken & Waffle

Simple but Wonderful! I really enjoyed the Chicken & Waffle! #Veganuary

Pros: Taste, Quick, Simple

gbusqui

Points +154

04 Nov 2023

Love this place

Really just the best spot to have coffee and some baked goods, staff is so friendly and nice and their branding is so cute

Pros: atmosphere, the baked goods and coffee, friendly staff

Cons: it’s a bit small but cozy

mfeicht

Points +66

11 Sep 2023

favorite in omaha

they have great seasonal menus for coffee, local art and merch, staff is super friendly, great breakfast sandwich!

veganceci

Points +44

01 Sep 2023

You gotta try this place

The coffee is great! The branding is awesome and the food is yummy. I also love that it’s zero waste.

Pros: Yummy drinks, Yummy food, Zero waste

Garlicvegan

Points +177

04 Aug 2023

Not Amateur at all 😄

Husband “I like everything about this place…atmosphere, music, food, everything “

Delightful little coffee shop. It’s not very far off the interstates. Took about a minute to get to I75 and 5 or less to get to I80.

Coffee and chick’n waffles were fantastic! Fried oyster mushrooms on the waffles were brought in from another local kitchen and are made from scratch, as are the pastries.

They have local art for sale made by owner and staff. Inclusive. Just lovely

Pros: Delicious , Great atmosphere , Outdoor seating in the back

Cons: Can’t think of a thing

Trashlord666

Points +373

24 Jul 2023

Pure PERK!!!

this was an amazing find! a small coffee shop tucked into a quiet little omaha neighborhood. the barista was super friendly and accommodating! we struck up a conversation about DnD and art, and they gave me a follow on instagram 😊

i ordered the Spro’jito and it was great! perhaps the best part: drinks are served in glass jars that you can take home and return for a discounted drink!

Pros: adorable little coffee shop! , everything is vegan!!, super friendly baristas!!!

Peppermint

Points +174

22 Mar 2023

Baked Goods from Sweet Magnolias

Great coffee and fantastic service! The waffles are great. They have baked good from Sweet Magnolias around the corner, so I like to check in here when SMs is low on vegan options.

Updated from previous review on 2021-04-01

Pros: Vegan baked goods, Great coffee, Friendly service

RyanMajka

Points +32

11 Feb 2023

Great spot, sure to visit again.

It's a small shop that your navigation tool is likely going to tell you to take a U-turn to make and it's well worth it.

The drinks are inspired and interesting. They come in jars that you either pay $2 for and can take home (or return for a discount).

Entirely vegan with good choices and no shortage of creativity on the menu.

I tried the Pistachio Valentine drink and it was a little sweet for me, and the rose syrup with oat milk created a banana flavor, but my partner liked it while I stole their Brown Sugar expresso which I found to be lovely.

Overall a great calm spot on one of my least favorite streets in Omaha.

Pros: Quiet and Cozy, Delicious waffles, Cool environmentally friendly drink cups

Cons: Little expensive , No fryer on prem = soggy fried chick'n, Chairs lack support

Aalverman

Points +66

08 Dec 2022

Loved it

Loved the people and the food. A little pricey, but we’ll worth it. We did takeout which is a little extra since you get glass to go cups, but we will definitely reuse these and if you bring them back, it’s a discount.

Pros: All Vegan menu with lots of options, Friendly atmosphere , Reduce, reuse, and recycle friendly

Cons: Little higher price , Limited space in restaurant

KAB22

Points +38

26 Aug 2022

Best coffee shop in town

Love this little hidden gem
Delicious coffee & pastry

VeganSausageDog

Points +700

12 Aug 2022

Good coffee

Good coffee. There a few limited options for desserts. Didn’t get the opportunity to try their food

BarbaraJeanneLewitzke

Points +26

02 Aug 2022

Small coffee shop with breakfast food

Good variety of drinks, good breakfast food, local art and friendly people : )

Pros: Sustainable cafe (no paper/plastic cups), Friendly staff

LuliV

Points +126

Vegetarian
03 Jul 2022

The food was fresh and delicious. Friendly service!

We enjoyed the swanky hot cocoa, breakfast sandwich, waffle, and quiche.

Pros: All vegan, Delicious , Friendly

Cons: None.

VeganSince10.17

Points +560

28 May 2022

Tiny Vegan Coffee Parlor + Roastery

As proudly proclaimed on their website, Amateur Coffee, the "artsy specialty coffee roasters with the tiny vegan coffee parlor" is "where the magic happens" in this little vegan corner of the world. In the same neighborhood as Sweet Magnolias Bake Shop, that's where they get their vegan pastries from. Savory vegan breakfast food offerings come from Veg.Edible, teas are from local friend Andrea at Artemis Teas, and their delicious hot or iced coffee, espresso, and non-coffee drinks are made and served in-house - nothing amateur about it.

Pros: ALL food and beverages are vegan, all is delicious, & the business is environmentally conscious, part of their zero-waste initiative: reusable jars

Cons: Flavored lattes are really sweet, food is good, but a bit expensive, and face masks are still required (May 2022)

srw4

Points +322

23 Mar 2022

Great Little Shop

This is a cozy all vegan coffee shop. I had the Princess Peach Chai Latté and it was delicious. The space is small, there are not tables but you can sit up at the coffee bar area. They have a reusable jar program and don't use disposable/plastic dishware or cups. They sell their own coffee and merchandise. They also sell small business teas and earrings. This is such a cute small business and I will definitely be back.

Pros: All Vegan, Reusable Jar Program, Delicious Food and Drinks

Cons: Small Space

maidenthesouth

Points +404

18 Oct 2021

Loved it!

(Sep 2019 Visit) I enjoyed chatting with the staff. They described which dessert would pair well with my beverage. Both were tasty.

The Gay Vegans

Points +321

04 Oct 2021

A must stop

I went here for a coffee just to support a vegan business and ended up getting the beet and ginger latte plus a waffle! YUM! Love this place. The staff are all super kind and it's a great place to hang out. Will be back!

Pros: ginger and beet latte, awesome staff, waffles!

itssarahthyme

Points +32

08 Jul 2021

Cute vibe. Good latte.

Love the reusable jar program for drinks! (Bring your jar back for $1 off your next order). My caramel latte was super good (I’ve missed caramel since going vegan! Very often it’s not vegan friendly). The waffle was good but a little pricey for just one waffle.

Pros: Cute vibe

spinachlover18

Points +111

05 Jul 2021

Waffles!

Excellent, freshly-made vegan waffles. Also just really cute vibes, and I appreciate that they don’t use plastic. My iced matcha oatmilk latte was also really good. Would definitely come back if I’m in Omaha again.

Jadediana

Points +2523

10 Apr 2021

The BEST waffles!

This is a must-stop in town. I always stop for waffles, pastries, and their great coffee. Cute little place to eat at ❤️

Pros: Vegan waffles!!

Sarah_G

Points +29

04 Sep 2020

Delicious!

We went September of 2020 and they were great! Masks were required but you could go in and order what you want. We got scones and even the non-veg family members loved them! Beautiful cafe right off the main street so easy to spot and had great decor. They also had donuts, waffles, brownies, and a crumble of sorts

Pros: Completely vegan, No wait, Great food

Stephaneen

Points +1247

20 Oct 2019

Yummy waffles!

Waffles were delicious! Go early on the weekends if you want to get pastries or doughnuts. My mom loved the pumpkin latte.

littleandfierce

Points +105

20 Sep 2019

Great specialty drinks!

I went here in January and loved it. I got some sort of oat milk and spirulina potion that was just lovely. Add on a gluten free waffle with whipped cream and bananas and I was in heaven.

Pros: All vegan! , Cool space, No need to watch to make sure your milk is vegan!

Hodzic_fam

Points +1685

18 Sep 2019

Good Coffee and dessert.

My first time going to a Vegan coffee shop. They roast their coffee right in the coffee shop and it tastes good. Free WiFi is included. The coffee shop has a hipster vibe. It is pretty small but it has a homey feel to it. They have a section of vegan treats and desserts as well.

Pros: All vegan coffee shop, WiFi , Good coffee

Cons: Small with limited seating, Only one charging outlet available

CeliD

Points +34

03 Sep 2019

Delicious!

Although they have a small selection of food options, Amateur Coffee is a place to admire. The wide selection of coffee and tea has something for everyone. The food (as few options as they have) is nothing short of extraordinary, and every element is exquisite. I would definitely recommend Amateur Coffee to ALL of my friends, vegan and non-vegan.

Pros: Nice vibes, Delicious food, Awesome decor

Cons: Few food options, Pastry cabinet was empty

JenniferKellogg

Points +397

15 Aug 2019

Waffles made to order

I live their waffles, pastries from around the corner and even their non-coffee drinks

Pros: Caffiene isn't in every menu item

liz2787

Points +28

09 Jun 2019

Amazing!

Visiting in Omaha and had to stop here. So glad I did, but really disappointed I didn’t get more of their baked goods. Homer vanilla donut and the brownie were ridiculous. Vanilla latte was just what I needed- a treat! Would recommend going out of your way to visit this place. Staff was super friendly.