Amaro Vegetariano y Internacional

Contact 999-928-2451

Calle 59 por 60 y 62 Centro Histórico, Yucatan (at near Hotel Dolores Elba), Merida, Mexico,

Serves meat, vegan options available. Menu is separated into vegetarian and non-vegetarian with the veggie dishes being majority. Open air seating and live music on some nights.

Category: Lacto, Ovo, International, Mexican, Non-veg

First Review by

Not great but not terrible - Edit

Very limited vegan options. Would only eat here again if nothing better was available. One of the only places open on Sunday.

Pros: Open on Sunday, Small list of veg options

Cons: Staff not vegan knowledgable, Limited options

Good place - Edit

In the centre of merida, nice atmosphere and good service. Have a vegetarian part of menù with some dishes.I've tried vegan (vegetarian in the menù, asked without cheese) fajitas and was quite good. Not a lot of choise, but that's ok.

Pros: friendly atmosphere, position, good service

Cons: not a lot of choice

Quirky, delicious spot - Edit

Neat place... apparently it used to be all vegetarian, but like many Mexican veg businesses felt pressure to include meat. Still has a GREAT all-veg menu with tons of interesting options, and is also open late (often with live music) making it a very nice dinner choice.

The ambiance is incredible, as others have mentioned; a gorgeous courtyard decorated with quirky items and dripping with history. It's a fairly upscale place, so don't go expecting cheap eats. Clearly explain that you want "sin lacteos" for vegan dishes. Note that the place is just a block or so away from the central plaza.

Pros: Delicious, Historical, Great ambiance

Cons: Used to be all-veg, sadly no longer, Expensive

Good healthy food - Edit

Lovely setting in a court yard under a large tree. We shared stuffed mushrooms to start. Then i had a lovely Spinach Lasagne and my partner had stuffed chicken in a creamy sauce.
Apple pie and fudge cake for desert. Good house wine. Good to have a veggie choice. Staff a bit surely.

Pros: Good food, healthy cuisine, Good choice

Beautiful space, service, and food! - Edit

My partner and I ate at Amaro each day that we were in Merida. We just couldn't stop going back! The courtyard area is very beautiful, the tables are old weaving machines and there are various wrought-iron items decorating the space - bicycles, sewing machines - as well as art exhibitions around the perimeter. The waiters were all lovely and very accommodating of our tragic lack of Spanish. All the meals we tried were excellent - tasty and very filling - and each time we tried to resist the desserts, but could not. The first night we ate so much I was almost unable to get home to our hotel a few blocks away. Would not hesitate to recommend it!

delicioso! - Edit

I was so excited to find this restaurant in Merida after explanation-exaustion about why it wasn't cool that my bean soup had been cooked with pork in the broth. The food was excellent, and it was refreshing to find something tasty that I didn't have to worry about eating. The dining area was beautiful, with a huge tree in the courtyard, and there were oodles of free literature laying about for visitors to the town. Will definatly re-visit when I go back! I highly recommend the jamaica (ha-maii-ka)

Pros: tasty, good value, friendly

Nice Vegetarian Restaurant at the city center - Edit

We visited Amaro around Feb 20-21, 2007. Food was good, portions moderate, ambience and service very nice. Would not recommend driving to that place because streets are narrow. Prices were on the high side (USD 35 for 3 people)by Mexican standards. Good choices on the menu for vegetarians. Six blocks from Hotel Dolores Elba - a good place to stay in Merida.

Great Food, Service, and Atmosphere! - Edit

I felt very fortunate to find this little gem in Merida, especially considering the non-vegetarian-friendly atmosphere of the city. The server was friendly and prompt and the food was excellent. The picco de gaillo was the best I had in Mexico. The traditional Chaya soup was surprisingly yummy as well. Even the outdoor dining was inviting with trees, plants and paintings.

Pros: great staff, wonderful, fresh food, nice atmosphere

Return to Merida Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Amaro Vegetariano y Internacional closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1369 times since Aug 2007.