Amaltea

C/ Diputacion 164 (at espuina Villarroel, Gran Via - Urgell), Barcelona, Spain, 08011

Serves vegetarian meals and pastries. Has weekly lunch menu, assorted plates, drinks, and dinner menus. Affiliated with Govinda. Open Mon-Sat 8:00am-11:30pm, Mon-Sat 1:00pm-4:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, International, Organic, Beer/Wine, Spanish

First Review by kyvegan

Wonderful surprise - Edit

I have visited this place several times during the last weeks. Honestly, it was a surprise. I had been told several times that the food was boring and it is not.

The offer a menu with starter, main course and desert. It's very good value for money and you leave Amaltea really full!

Some dishes are better than others, as always. But overall I'd definitely recommend this restaurant.

If you are vegan you should try the vegan carrot cake. OK, if you're not vegan you should try it too!

Pros: Good value, Plenty of vegan options

I LOVE THIS PLACE - Edit

it's right next to my work so I go there for lunch almost every day! Their menu is affordable and you are offered 2 plates, normally I actually get quite full by the 1st one! but I love their food so much that a 2nd one is good too :D

Pros: cheap, great taste

agradable - Edit

Si buscas delicatessen, platos de cocina de autor, o darte caprichos este no es el sitio mas recomendable. Pero si comes HCLF, aqui puedes comer como en casa. Nada de grasas, nada de sal (al menos en los platos que probe) Nada de excesos, pero muy tranquilo y agradable.

Pros: pet friendly, el dueño es muy agradable

Great bakery products - Edit

Quickly jumped in when we arrived in Barcelona, and picked some vegetarian and vegan goodies from the bakery part.
Ate them outside and the sun, and they were delicious. Good bakery products, good portion for a reasonable price.

Pros: Good food

Please avoid this restaurant.. - Edit

I went to the restaurant and was a little bit suprised of the menu because it forces you to choose a starter, main course and desert and has fixed price. Anyway The food I had there was terrible. This was the first time I couldn't eat the food I've ordered.. Please try to avoid.

Really Really Bad - Edit

The food at the this place was awful. The set menu was poor in choice. You get to chose 2 dishes and then 1 desert. The main that I orders was hummus with pitta and some selection of extras. The dish consisted of a large blob of hummus 1 tortilla wrap and a small rather old looking bit of salad.

For the second course I ordered a pizza which was not bad but nothing great. My wife ordered the cannelloni. The spinach filling was dry and the goats cheese was one large block which was placed on the top of the cannelloni and melted. Again really poor.

Finally the desert was just the worst thing. Both my wife and I ordered apple pie. It came cold and I saw the waiter take it out of a box. So clearly ready made and from what I could tell old.

Much better vegetarian places in Barcelona to visit....

A buffet that is not a buffet... - Edit

One of the options of your first dish is a so-called salad buffet.

Everywhere else I know, a buffet means you can help yourself freely... Not in this restaurant. Nowhere it was written or said that you could fill your (SMALL) plate ONLY once.

But today, as I went for my second time, an unhappy lady stopped me and said that I was only allowed to do it once...

OK, ma'am, I won't touch your tomatoes ever again.

This same lady was rude to me since my first day there. (I went to this place twice.) But today was my last time.

Some of the other waiters are nice, but I am not going there again.

Fantastic Veggie/Vegan Food - Edit

Wow! We arrived here after traveling all day to get to Barcelona. We were exhausted and starving. The food was delicious and bountiful. We each (5) had an appetizer and a main dish and 2 desserts for the five of us and were so stuffed we couldn't move!! Every single dish-and we had 12 different ones in total, was delicious and healthy. The waitress was beyond nice and helpful. We went back for a second time but they were closed on Sunday evening. Check because hours are sporadic. Highly recommended.

Great place to start our holiday - Edit

Having arrived at Barcelona Sants station it was a short interesting walk via the Miro park to this excellent restaurant for lunch, and it couldn't have been a better start to the holiday.

The starter was hummus and pitta, the main was pizza (not the most exciting choice on my part but I do like a good pizza) and an excellent chocolate cake for dessert.

The atmosphere was friendly and relaxed.

Simple and great - Edit

The owner was kind and helpful for me to choose vegan options in the menu.
We had various dishes and all of us were satisfied.
The desserts were very good too, but we had to take them away, because the portions in the menu are quite generous.
If you look for simple healthy food near Urgell, Amaltea is for you!

Pros: good value, few vegan options , friendly staff

Disappointing - Edit

This seemed an incredibly popular restaurant. It is large with many tables but people were still queuing for a lunchtime table! The staff were friendly and helpful.

However, the food was not enjoyable. Maybe we made poor choices from the menu, but we ended up with very disappointing food. I had the strange combination of pumpkin, prunes, tomato sauce and an unidentifable meat substitute thing. My partner had mashed potato, guacamole and horrible 'wheat gluten meat substitute' which we both felt was inedible. Our starters (spaghetti, and dhal) were not as bad as the mains - at least we could eat them. We decided not to stay for the dessert even though it was included in our 'menu del dia' because the main courses were so unpleasant.

If you're desperate for veggie food and in the area, maybe you can find something to eat here but I would not recommend for a special trip or for an evening meal which would have been much more expensive than the lunch deal.

Pros: Helpful staff, Some diary free options, Lunch 'menu' offer for around 11 euros

Cons: Poor food quality, Strange food combinations, Tasteless

Decent Choice - Edit

The menu is predominantly vegetarian but there are a few vegan options that are clearly labelled. The owner is kind and helpful. They offer only a three course option but are great about packing up any extra food that you can't finish. While not extraordinary, it is a very solid choice.

Pros: Healthy, Friendly

no vegan options! - Edit

I should maybe not write a review because I left this restaurant without eating here. They had very little vegan option and nothing seemed to be be good enough for lunch or diner. The staff was also not friendly and it took a long time to get them to explain what vegan options they actually had.

For vegetarians not vegans

Pros: for vegetarains

Cons: few boring vegan options

Satisfying and Filling, Not Fancy - Edit

Amaltea was right around the corner from the Hotel Soho (and across the street from an Indian restaurant we didn't get a chance to visit. Closest metro is Urgell.

The owner is a vegetarian and Hare Krishna and the food reminds me of Hare Krishna meals. The prix fixe dinner was quite substantial, with a soup, entree and dessert. Neither of us could finish our entrees. This is a low key restaurant with no frills - this is not a gourmet!

If you are in this area and want a filling vegetarian meal this is a good place to go, but I would not necessarily travel out of you way to eat here. That is not to say I did not enjoy my meal or the service, just don't expect anything fancy.

Pros: friendly staff, good value, simple food

Cons: not gourmet, simple food

Amaltea - Edit

Reasonably priced, good portions, tasty food, friendly staff and easily identifiable.

Low expecations, but still disappointing! - Edit

Before we went to Amaltea, we read some reviews here on Happy Cow. We noticed some quite bad reviews, but since it was really close to our stay in Barcelona, we went there anyway. Our expectations were quite low, but still we got really disappointed! The food is simply not made with any love at all. You get a lot, so you will not go away hungry, but that's it. Our group tried about half of the menu of starters and mains, and everything was tasteless, ugly and bad. Only some desserts was good. I will not recommend this Amaltea to anyone

Pros: A lot of food, Healthy food

Cons: Tasteless

after rain comes sunshine - Edit

initially, we had a very bad experience at Amaltea. We came with expectations and the food turned out to be something that we did not expect.

However, after we expressed this openly, the restaurant owner contacted us to rectify the mistake.

Good service and open communication.. though the food is not always what you expect ;)

Cons: freshness

Best veg restaurant in Barcelona - Edit

Went here for dinner one day. Absolutely loved it, good food, decent price for a 3 course set menu at ~€14.50. Starter spring rolls were very nice. All round was very good, would defiantly recommend.

Pros: Calm environment, Tasty food, Lovely dessert

Return to Barcelona Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Amaltea closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.