Am Thuc Chay Thanh Tam

n/a

41 Ngo May, Qui Nhon, Vietnam

Large vegan restaurant with a great selection of mock meats and traditional Vietnamese vegetarian foods. Reported fully vegan December 2016 - please confirm and let Happy Cow know, Open Mon-Sun 6:00am-2:00pm, 3:00pm-9:00pm.

Categories: Vegan, Take-out, Vietnamese

First Review by NickKhánh

Unpleasant Vibe - Edit

While the food is fairly tasty, we were served 'nouvelle cuisine' sized portions on our first visit, and quoted an escalating price range (up to 300% of the going rate) on our second. Far better places can be found to dine in this town.

Updated from previous review on 2017-01-03

Pros: tasty food, large open-plan setting

Cons: unpleasant attitude towards foreigners, ambiguous price range, tiny portions, poor service

7 Responses

ChayThanhTâm 04 Jan 2017 - Hello and thanks for your review! I am very surprised about your review as we always try to offer the best services to all guests. I would like to find out where the problem was. Can you please response to me with a more detailed description about what happened/your order? In general, our main dishes (noodles, rice) starts at 17.000 VND. Most dishes are around this price class. There is only an escalating price range for dishes that imitades "meat". Those dishes are located separately in our restaurant and will only be served if our guests express their wish to eat it. Furthermore, these dishes were served in small portions as it is sold by weight or pieces. I really hope it was just a poor miscommunication from our side as not all employees are familiar with English. Best wishes Chay Thanh Tâm

Tofulicious 04 Jan 2017 - We didn't order any 'mock meat'. The soups we ordered, which were served in very small bowls, were maybe one-third full; and being quoted 3K per piece for banh xeo, when the going rate is around 1K (or 2K for foreigners), seems a little exorbitant. I'm not sure how 'miscommunication' could be responsible for the waitstaff failing to provide side plates for us (meaning we had to eat out of the serving dish), when the non-foreign customers seated beside us were provided with these fundamentals.

ChayThanhTâm 04 Jan 2017 - Thanks for your response. To sum up, you had three main issues when you visited us: 1. very small soup bowls 2. price for Bánh Xèo 3. waitstuff treatment. Please let me comment on your issues. 1. issue: Starting from your description, I guess you ate the "Mì Quảng" soup (thick yellow or white noodles). Indeed, we serve this dish intentionally with less water compared to other noodle soups (Pho, Bun, Mien). Guests sometimes complain that it has to less soup water and we always provide more for free if they want. But the dish itself will always be served with less water. 2. Issue: Here is a real misconception. Our normal "Bánh Xèo" (yellow one) costs 3.000 VND per piece. We serve them together with ricepaper for 1.500 VND per piece. But lately, we also sell 12 "Bánh xèo vỏ" (white without any ingredients) pieces for 10.000 VND. We do not charge foreigners differently. About your 3. Issue: As we are just a "local restaurant" (quán ăn bình dân) the quality of services are also lower compared to "restaurant" standards. It dosen't mean that we will offer bad quality service. It means rather that we don't give guests an "extra" plate for eating. Vietnamese typically roll Bánh Xèo in their hands. If you happened to see other customers with "extra" plates, then it either means they asked the staff explicit for a plate or they ordered a second time. Therefore, they will get additional plates. We always try our best to satisfy our customers and provide our guests with all things if they wish to. But this only works if you communicate with us.
I hope that I could resolve some of your issues. If there are more questions or complains, please let me know. Best wishes Chay Thanh Tâm

Tofulicious 04 Jan 2017 - Wrong again. The soups we had were 'pho' and 'bun', and could only be considered entree sizes. There were *NO* dishes from which to eat the banh xeo, i.e. nothing to place the dipping sauce into. If you don't want to receive poor reviews, perhaps it's time to provide your staff with some basic hospitality training (which has not presented as an issue at most other 'cheaper' establishments we've patronised).

Tofulicious 04 Jan 2017 - PS I don't understand what you mean about the 'banh xeo' with rice paper rolls. Incidentally, we were served a plate of only nine (9) 'banh xeo vo' and still charged 10 K. Combined with the entree-sized 'breakfast soups' of pho and bun, I'm sorry to say, the whole experience amounts to pretty shabby service.

ChayThanhTâm 04 Jan 2017 - Thanks again for your response. As I already wrote, most of your issues could be resolved if you communicate or complain with us that day. Furthermore, each table has small white cups for the dipping souce located in the area we placed chopsticks and other sauces. If it runs out, we will provide you with other onces. Nevertheless, you are right about the poor service from our staff. We will try to improve it in the future. With regards, Chay Thanh Tâm

ChayThanhTâm 04 Jan 2017 - We should be the one to say sorry, because our staff made a lot of mistakes that led to your poor experience. But only with complains like yours, we can do it better in the future.

excellent Vietnamese food in family restaurant - Edit

Excellent food, large selection, fast service. It is a very large place and was packed for dinner with families and groups. They pretty much only speak Vietnamese, but I used GoogleTranslate to let them know I was hungry and looking for the specialties. I had a few dishes, all delicious. The only drawback is that it is rather unkempt and bustling. Of course, also very cheap. Much the best vege place I've found in downtown Quy Nhon.

Updated from previous review on 2016-12-13

Pros: great food, big selection, fast and friendly family restaurant

3 Responses

ChayThanhTâm 22 Dec 2016 - Thanks for your review! As we are working very hard each day to keep our standards, we really appreciate it. You are right about the unkempt feeling. Especially, as you visited us on the two most visited days of the month (1st and 15th of the month in the Moon calendar), most Vietnamese eat vegan during these days. We will try to improve this issue in the future. Best wishes Chay Thanh Tâm

ChayThanhTâm 22 Dec 2016 - Thanks for your review! As we are working very hard each day to keep our standards, we really appreciate it. You are right about your unkempt feeling. Especially, as you visited us on the two most visited days of the month (1st and 15th of the month in the Moon calendar), most Vietnamese eat vegan during these days. However, we are trying to get better. Best wishes Chay Thanh Tâm

One of the best in Qui Nhơn - Edit

The large open seating area and great selection of tasty mock meats makes An Thuc Thanh Tam on the best in Qui Nhon. The location is also really great, just a kilometer or two from the beach and near the university.

Pros: Tastey, Open seating area, Great location

Cons: A lot of mock meat, Pricier than other places, None

ChayThanhTâm 21 Dec 2016 - Thanks for your review! We are happy that you liked our selection. However, our dishes aren't pricier than other places in Quy Nhon City. I guess, the waiter or you selected dishes that imitate meat (e.g. beef). Indeed, they are more expensive. If you happen to visit us again, please just order a normal plate with mix dishes. It currently starts at 17.000 VND. Best wishes Chay Thanh Tâm

Return to Qui Nhon Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Am Thuc Chay Thanh Tam closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.