Am Thuc Chay Mani

• Vegetarian
Contact 84-0838334865

291/2 Vo Van Tan St, District 3, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam,

Cozy place with English speaker on staff. Free Wi-Fi. Offers a variety of dishes. Delivers within district 1 and 3. Menu is mostly vegan.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Delivery, Take-out, Vietnamese

First Review by little.thu

Am Thuc Chay Mani, Ho Chi Minh City - Edit

1stly since they offer cow milk yogurt this establishment is not exclusively vegan.

I had a set deal today. Green leaf soup followed by tofu, vegetables and steamed rice. This was perfectly pleasant without being stunning. At a cost of 35 000 I felt that was getting very good value for my dong. My better ordered herself some spring rolls & noodles and also a coffee. The whole thing came to 94 000. This seams very good value.

More than one member of staff very usefully spoke at least some English (since my vocab of Viet is still very poor).

Pros: Vegan friendly, Great value for your dong

Special experience - Edit

We ordered a green papaya salad, their special spring rools and their special Mani noodles. The portions were quite small for the prices (there are cheaper vegan places to eat in HCMC) still the quality of the food was really good. Unfortunately I couldn't enjoy my dinner as much as it was pretty spicy, although I've clearly ordered it 'not spicy'.

The atmosphere wasn't too cosy. In this rather small place were two employees by entrance, two waiters just standing around and another waiter who checked our table every five minutes. It felt like he was fishing for compliments.

We tried their packaged homemade mooncakes for dessert and loved them.

Pros: Excellent spring rolls, Good moon cakes, Free green tea

Cons: Intrusive waiter

Excellent! - Edit

Compared to all the places we ate in Vietnam, this was a little more expensive but still only $10 for 4 entrees and 2 fruit juices. Food was incredible and big portions compared to others. Green tea fried rice and wonton soup were fantastic. Highly recommend!

Small but its a good place - Edit

We came here in group of 4 and very enjoy the food here. We dont know much about dishes in Mani and ask for recommendation, then we took green tea fried rice, Mani special spring rolls, crispy steam rice with spicy sauce & purple rice vermicelli. They're all very tasty, especially the sauce of spring rolls, its strange, delicious that we didnt find somewhere eles. Overall, its worth the money when coming here

Pros: Delicious food, Reasonal price

Cons: in the alley

Awesome cozy place with tasty food - Edit

Went to this place after reviewing good comments from customers. Its worth the money when coming here, ejoy tasty dishes. I also meet the owner, he showed me signature dishes like crispy steam rice with spicy and sour sauce, which is very special. And purple rice vermicelli is also good, served with many vegetables and sauce. I'll come back when have another chance

Pros: Tasty Food

One Of The Best In HCMC - Edit

Brilliant quaint restaurant in D3. Well worth a visit. ....exceptional quality with good menu options and relatively cheap compared to other vegan restaurants in HCMC. Fresh spring roll is delicious. .....signature crispy rice is worth a try and braised jackfruit is my favourite. Small mushroom hotpot served with good portions. All in all a great experience over 2 trips....and as I live in HCMC, this is a new fav. Staff also have excellent English.

Pros: Staff, Menu, Quality

Cons: Small Location

Amazing! - Edit

This was the best restaurant I found in HCMC. It is down a side street/alley just off Vo Van Tan, not on the Main Street itself, so took a little finding as I hadn't realised this from the map, but it was totally worth the effort! The staff were lovely, spoke really good English and chatting to them enhanced the dining experience. They kept me plied with complimentary iced green tea, which was great. I ordered fried mushroom spring rolls that came with salad, delicious red chilli flake paste and a sweet dipping sauce. They were really good! I followed this with purple vermicelli, which was a build your own spring roll meal with rice paper to dip in water and build your rolls with.. This was really fun and the staff explained that this was a very traditional local dish and gave me a demonstration of how to do it! This course was so tasty, with a perfect combo of fresh herbs, pickles, peanuts, spring onions, purple vermicelli (that looked amazing!), chilli and sweet dipping sauce. This dish was really substantial and I washed it down with an iced soya milk. I followed this with an exceptionally good iced coffee, which they made to go as I had a train to catch and even offered to call a taxi for me. This whole meal cost me 78VND, which was an absolute steal given the quality and amount of food! Can't recomm this place enough! A highlight of my trip so far.

Pros: Amazing food, Really friendly staff with very good English, Comfortable and relaxing

Cons: A bit tricky to find

Very good! - Edit

Cozy place, tasty food, friendly service, good value... Nothing was missing, except maybe desserts. They have them only several days a month. However, there is a separate (?) stall near the entrance that sells soft fruit candies. You can buy some of them instead :-)

A note for vegans: although all dishes on the food menu are vegan, drink menu has yogurt made out of cow milk.

Pros: nice place, good set lunch value, friendly service

Cons: no desserts

Fabulous eating place - Edit

We found the restaurant by accident through a recomendation of a buddhist monk. Once there, we went every day to eat as it is not too far away from the backpacker district and they had so many different things to try. Value for money is really excellent especially if you take the set menu. The atmosphere was great, very family like. I don't really know what to recommend as we tried so many different things and everything was really delicious. There are a couple of "fake" meat dishes, which taste almost like meat, so non-vegetarians might give it a try as well. They have an english menue and the staff speaks excellent English as well.

Pros: Delicious Food, Great Atmosphere, Good Location

Complimentary Moon Cake - Edit

Although we went here for dinner we were able to have the lunch time special which was a three course meal for 35,000 VND – an absolute bargain. I had lemongrass tofu with rice, seaweed and tofu soup and side of fried veggies. Although each dish was petite, the combination of all three was the perfect amount and all were tasty.

The manager, a very friendly Vietnamese man with excellent English, interacted with us throughout dinner and offered us Moon Cake to sample after we had asked some questions about the Mid-Autumn Festival. The restaurant itself is quite small and nothing too fancy but good food, friendly service and not too far from the War Museum makes for a great location and definitely worth a visit.

Pros: Friendly staff, Budget-friendly

Cons: Small

Great restaurant - Edit

I've been to HCMC for 2 weeks, and tried to explore the vegan options this city has to offer me. This is one of the top 3 restaurants I've been to, and it offers also a fast-vegan-sandwich on the street during morning. Try it!

Great little place :-) - Edit

Having heard good things about Am Thuc Chay Mani (and already having a few favourite veg places on Vo Van Tan street, my friend and I decided to try somewhere new the other day for quite a late lunch (by Vietnamese time, anyway). We were unsure if the restaurant was still open as the food on display outside was all finished, but we were relieved when a very friendly, English speaking waitress came outside to tell us that they were in fact still open. She showed us to our seats and gave us an English menu; my friend and I were pleasantly surprised by the range of food on offer, considering the size of the place.

I went for the steamed dumplings and green tea rice with vegetarian chicken - highly recommend both dishes, the dumplings were very flavourful and the green tea rice had a unique taste unlike any other rice dish I've had here in Saigon.

Both my friend I said we'd definitely be back soon to try more of the food on offer, as the menu certainly has some delicious sounding food and all for a very reasonable price. Am Thuc Chay Mani is a nice, simple place - unpretentious with great food and good service and perfect for vegans looking for a good meal in Saigon.

Updated from previous review on Tuesday June 24, 2014

Have since been back to have the set lunch, which is great value for money - only 35,000 dong for soup, main course and veg dish.

Have also had the banh xeo (Viet pancake) and its HUGE and got loads of yummy mushroom & bean filling...definitely enough to share between 2 people!
Updated from previous review on Thursday July 31, 2014

Pros: Reasonable prices, Variety of food, English speaking waitress

Cons: Possibly a bit hard to find..., ...but really not that difficult!

Various Vegan Menu - Edit

I am very surprised with the menu of Mani Vegan. There are so many dishes which I have never seen before. At the first time, we came as a group of 5 people so we could order many dishes and share together for trying the taste. We order Purple Rice Vermicili, Fried Cryspy Pho, Fried Breadfruit and Thai Hot Pot. All of the dishes were so good at very reasonable price. That is why we come here twice a month for enjoying delicous vegan food.

Pros: Various Dishes, Delicious meals, Reasonable Price

Don't Miss this Hidden Treat! - Edit

Great veg restaurant! We loved our time at Mani. We were only in Saigon a short while, but still managed to make it there twice :)

The staff was exceptionally knowledgeable and friendly and the food was phenomenal. Don't miss the rice paper wraps ;)

As other reviewers have mentioned it’s a bit tricky to find as it’s down a small alley, but don’t give up the search too early - it’s well worth it!

Absolutely Divine ! - Edit

My wife and I had 3 days in HCM City and I had to admit this place was what we were seeking commonly for our vegetarian diet. The restaurant was small, tiny and fairly decorated. What surprised us was the friendly atmosphere and well English speaking staff as well as the well-described English menu. However, the manager (also the chef) came to welcome us and recommend his signature so called Mani Special Noodle and Crispy Rice Cake with Sweet & Sour Mushroom Sauce. We definitely loved to try those and the result was totally awesome! We addicted to Mani at that moment and spent the rest of our trip here for food. They had daily breakfast and set lunch which were also excellent at price and yum. We'll definitely come back. Thanks so much Mani. Love,

Pros: Superb food, Best value in money , Friendly Staff

Cons: none

Great place in HCMC - Edit

I love Com Chay Mani due to its delicious dishes, very delicious ones, escpecially Green Tea Fried Rice, the taste is so special and I keep enjoying that all times, valuable for the money that I paid

Pros: Yummy dishes, good staffs, good price

Cons: no

Awesome place with many delicious dishes - Edit

Mani Vegan (Com Chay Mani) is the first priority place for me to choose, because of its yummy dishes and good service. The taste of all dishes are very good (just like your "mom-cooked" taste). They laso have many signature dishes that I love like Green Tea Fried Rice, Crispy Steam Rice with Spicy & Sour Sauce or Mushroom Plain Rice Pancake. For me this is the best place in town, suitable price for awesome dishes

Pros: Super delicious dishes, Good Service, Suitable price

Great Local Vegetarian Restaurant - Edit

We often come to this restaurant for dinner.My favourite dishes are Pho ap chao ( Fried Cryspy Pho) and Matcha Milk. Other recommendations are Vietnamese pancake and Fried Cryspy noodle. Very delicous and very reasonable price!

Pros: Delicous, Reasonable price, Friendly staff

delicious - Edit

Easy to find restaurant. This was exactly what we were looking for! Friendly staff who spoke English, lots of delicious menu options, really good prices, no other tourists around. We had the set lunch, you could pick different options to have from the display out front on the street; soup, vegetables, rice and a main for 35000 dong (i think about $1.70). We got to try some traditional style Vietnamese food without having to worry about whether it was vegetarian. The lemongrass tofu and mock meat options were really good. The sweet and sour soup was delicious too. I would definitely recommend this restaurant!

must see in ho chi minh city - Edit

If you stay in ho chi minh city you definitely have to visit am thuc chay mani. the food was outstanding, the staff was extremely friendly and the atmosphere more than warm and welcoming. one of the best vegan restaurants and definitely worth a try. we even got the dishes we've ordered explained and the owner gave us an insight into vietnamese cuisine, plus a very tasty amuse geule was brought to our table. highly recommended!

Pros: english spoken, good location, moderate prices

Cons: none

Good restaurant - Edit

I had lunch at Mani restaurant. It was crowded but the service was quick and the staff friendly.
I had the dish of the day 'bun mang' (vermicelli soup with bamboo shoot, mushroom and some mock meat). It was good and cheap (30.000 vnd) and you also have a free glass of iced tea.
The restaurant is small but they have another room upstairs. There is a food stall outside so you can see some of the food and choose what you want.
I also bought a sandwich (17.000 vnd) to go and it was good even several hours later.

Opening hours: from 6.30 am to 2 pm and from 4 pm to 10 pm.

Pros: good food, cheap price, quick service

Great Local Food - Edit

I came here for lunch and it was a very popular place with the locals. They have great lunch specials at even better prices. I had braised jackfruit and it was very good. I also had some of their fresh spring rolls and probably the best I have had in the city. I would highly recommend trying this place out. Also has an English menu which can be very helpful

Pros: Food, Price

Highly recommended - Edit

Proudly vegan, clean, friendly, and in a really neat area. Highly recommended! I got a bit turned around the first time I went to look for it but an extremely friendly local was happy to bring me. Close to Saigon Vegan, and an easy walk from the city's tourist area.

Pros: Delicious, Cheap, Vegan

a local's favorite - Edit

It's a local place that cooks a bunch of dishes in the morning. Choose 3 of then for 30.000 dong all together, including rice and tea (and napkins, that neighbors charge for...).

Pros: cheap , tasty , friendly staff that speaks English

Love That They Deliver! - Edit

Feeling a bit ill and needed to get some rest. The hotel menu had nothing so this was a god send. I couldn't see their menu on their website on my phone so the very well-english-speaking guy reccemended some stuff. The green tea rice is great.

Return to Ho Chi Minh City Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Am Thuc Chay Mani closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 7100 times since Apr 2013.