First Review by GabrielitoVegano

Not the best around - Edit

This was probably one of the first places I could find outside a big city as vegetarian option, which made it great for me then.
Nevertheless, today it is so anymore. The options aren't as many, the places are very small to eat -small tables for a couple of people only, sort of fast food place because of the available space-.
It is a good option if you are stranded with nowhere else to get to.

Pros: Price, You can find it outside of big cities

Cons: Not so much variety, Small place to eat

Classic cafeteria-style Mexican vegetarian - Edit

Wow, it's a bit surreal how negative reviews from half a decade ago can stick around for a place like this that doesn't get a lot of visits. First off, to be clear: this isn't one of those newfangled vegan restaurants the kids cooked up. It's a storied institution with nearly 30 years in existence. It's packed every day with hungry locals, not all of them vegetarians – that in itself is always a great sign. The decor, style, and vibe are all pretty much stuck in the 80's... not everyone's cup of tea, but still good fun.

They don't claim to be vegan, but from what I can tell, they are now sensitive to it. It's a bit of a lunch-line type atmosphere, but if it's important to you, just have a word with someone in charge and ask them specifically what things have butter, cheese, eggs, etc. I've had some great meals here and absolutely loooove their salsa selection (serrano, habanero, jalapeño, chile de árbol, guacamole, etc.) They have a set menu which is great for breakfasts, but their main courses change every day. Yes, the place is a bit set in its ways about how things get served: you pick one of two options and you get what you get. If you want "both" of two options instead of either or, just ask and pay another 10 pesos or so.

All in all, highly recommended for a filling, traditional Mexican veg experience. For those who want to keep things strictly vegan, there are half a dozen other places that may be better, but give this one a shot for a great lunchtime experience.

Pros: traditional, delicious, busy

Cons: not geared towards tourists/visitors, limited hours

Very good! - Edit

It's too bad that the other reviewers were disappointed, but my experience didn't match theirs. First of all, the restaurant doesn't claim to be vegan - it claims to be vegetarian. That being said, I asked the server if any of the food was made without eggs and milk and he pointed to quite a few things. In fact, the entire salad bar seemed to be vegan (it included a green salad, beets, a bean salad, a rice dish, and a few other salads) and a few of the mains were vegan too. Perhaps the restaurant has changed since the other people went.

When we went, it was a buffet-style arrangement. There were two options for food, the "economico," which included salads of your choice, a main, bread or tostadas, and a juice drink. The price was 38 pesos and was quite a generous portion that I couldn't quite finish. The other option was 10 pesos more (so 48) and also included soup and dessert.

We were happy, and the restaurant was very busy. Glad to see a vegetarian restaurant being so popular! The staff that helped me was patient with my stuttered Spanish and the person that I asked about vegan food was very kind.

Pros: Inexpensive, Variety, Generous portions

Alta Fibra "vegetarian" food in Guadalajara, MX. - Edit

Alta Fibra is very low priced, and there is quite a long line of people usually from 1-3pm.
They're closed on Sundays.

They are not really vegetarian, in my opinion, since many of their "guisados", or main dishes (guisado actually means stew) are often made with eggs or milk products. Only one or two people there can tell you which ones are truly vegan.
So if you are strict about no eggs or milk products, as I am, you need to "interview" the cashier or have him/her check with the kitchen.
Good location in the Centro Historico. Cheap prices.
They've been there for 25 years.
They sell veggie chorizo (dried) in packages just to the left of the cashier, and they also sell soy milk. The company is called Soya Pak.

Pros: low prices

Cons: hard to tell what is truly vegan there.

Dreadful service - Edit

Obviously the people here donnot understand the difference between a vegetarian and a vegan, and I guess they don{t even care. I asked if they had any vegan dishes, they said only one. It turns out that I got some cheese over my plate and the food also had butter. I asked to get another plate, since I had asked for no cheese on it. You could hear the lady screaming in the kitchen and they only took they cheese out and gave me the plate back. I drank the orange juice payed and left without eating anything. DON{T GO THERE NOT WORTH IT. wish i could give it a zero cow rating.

Pros: Vegetarian

Cons: Bad Service, NOT VEGAN FRIENDLY, People don{t care

Return to Guadalajara Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Alta Fibra closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2046 times since Nov 2010.