Alounak Nice

Contact 0493858650

3 rue Alsace Lorraine, Nice, France, 06000

Serves meat, vegan options available. Chef is vegetarian and knows about veganism. Vegan choices in starters, main dishes, dessert, and drinks. Mon-Sat 12:00pm-2:30pm, Mon-Sun 7:00pm-10:30pm

Category: Vegan-friendly, Mediterranean, Non-veg

First Review by Hummingbird29

Delicious! +vegan - Edit

Beautiful little restaurant in the centre of Nice..
Food was very tasty and service was extremely friendly.
Vegan options, even for dessert!!
I would go back if I lived in, Nice!

Updated from previous review on 2016-09-20

Pros: Service, Food, Decor

Usually open when you want to eat. - Edit

usually open when you want to eat ... unlike some others that we went to and found closed at times like (for instance) 7pm 8pm onwards on a Monday or Tuesday evening.
Here you will get proper hand made food for vegan's and vegetarians.

Pros: friendly and not usually closed

Cons: none

Yum - Edit

My boyfriend and I went here last night for dinner in Nice. The owner offered us English menus and spoke English very well. We got the hummus which was good and I got the Couscous and vegetable and I pretty much licked the plate clean. The owner was very friendly and is the only one that is there, meaning he cooks and serves all of the food. He used to be vegan, so he understands what it means. He assured us that vegan meals are made separate with separate utensils, which is a breath of fresh air. We got the vegan pastries at the end of the night which were also quite good! Wish I could give 5 stars, as this restaurant deserves better business! If in Nice, stop by!

Updated from previous review on 2016-08-19

Pros: Good vegan food, Knowledgable, friendly owner, Good portions for prices

Cons: Only 3 vegan main choices

Okay - Edit

There aren't a lot of choices in Nice, so it was nice to find a vegan-friendly restaurant.

I ordered the ratatouille, that I unfortunately found a little bland. In case I would come back to Nice, I would probably go there again, and try something else.

I understand what someone meant, when they said that the owner was a little too friendly.

Good Place in Nice! - Edit

The owner and chef is 'VEGAN friendly' and made sure everything was fine for the three of us.

We went there last year, and were looking for a vegan place in Nice, as we were living in a camper.
My partner have special allergies and the owner prepared something really nice for him.
My mother isn't vegan but loved the dinner she had there.
We also had the chance to talk with him as there wasn't a lot of people.
Thanks for great food and great company Monsieur!

Pros: friendly owner

thank you! - Edit

My boyfriend and I loved it here! The owner and chef was so friendly and made us and the other diners laugh all evening. The food we ate was delicious and it was great to have options for both of us (I'm vegan and my boyfriend isn't). A lovely restaurant with a lovely ethos, so pleased we found it.

Vegan friendly restaurant in Nice :) - Edit

My boyfriend and I went here for dinner last night while staying in Nice.

The chef and owner was lovely and friendly greeting us when we walked in. His English was perfect and he helped me to choose 1 of the 3 main vegan dishes as I was unsure which to pick. I chose the Aubergine dip & pita bread Entree and the couscous vegan main. The entree was delicious! The main wasn't bad, but it was a little bland for me.

My boyfriend ordered a meat dish and he said his was quite good. He ordered the hommus to start, which we thought wasn't bad but nothing amazing (I make a lot of hommus!).

We also ordered some vegan pastries to take home with us - they were nice too.

Overall not a bad meal, a bit strange being in a relatively big restaurant with no one else there but I think maybe it was because it was a week night?

The owner was lovely and friendly which was good, the food wasn't bad but not amazing. Overall not bad as you can't find many vegan friend options in Nice. But not the best meal I've had in Nice either - I preferred Nice Life for lunch and an organic Italian Restaurant too.

Pros: Staff - Owner friendly :), Location - Easy to find, Clearly marked vegan items

Cons: Vegan main course a little bland

A special restaurant - Edit

I was very excited when visiting Alounak, as it has such good reviews both on HappyCow and on Tripadvisor. And it met my expectations!

The restaurant is very well located, close to the trainstation and the top of Avenue Jean Médecin, the main shopping street leading straight to the sea.
The interior is really nice, it has an "oriental style", but not too much or over the top. In the backround, there was some very relaxing music, but again, not too cliché.
I was greeted very friendly and the owner spoke very good English and offered me the English menu. I chose the vegan menu for 13€, and had the rice in wine leaves for starters, and the tajine for the main.
The starters were simply from heaven! I can't remember the last time I ate something that delicious. The tadjine was very good as well and it was all very filling.
The owner chatted to me and even brought me tissues when he noticed that I was sneezing. He is a man with very interesting stories to tell and it was an interesting conversation, although I have to say that it was maybe even a bit too much for me and I would have liked to be left alone a little more to just relax and enjoy.
However, I still recommend this restaurant to eveyone traveling to Nice, and as you can see from the other reviews, I am not the only one!

Pros: Divine food!, Very friendly owner & relaxing atmospher, Convenient location

Cons: Owner is maybe even a bit too friendly

A great find. - Edit

Fabulous little place. Chef/owner starts with a vegan base but also has meat options (although he told us he wished he didn't have to), so everybody can be fed here. Really flavourful food. 4 vegan starters, soups, and 3 mains at the time we went. So good we went back twice in four days. Owner is a very nice guy, wonderful philosophy on life and running a business like his. Speaks many languages, English is excellent. Highly recommended for all.

Pros: Close to station and main thoroughfare, Caters for all, Great use of herbs and spices.

Friendly vegan restaurant and lovely owner - Edit

We loved Anoulak in Nice. It is hard to find vegan restaurant in France. The food was wonderful, and the owner such a lovely being! We will definitely go back and recommend it. Infinite blessings, Vivianne Nantel

The best restaurant i've been in France - Edit

I was in Nice with my parents and we happened to walk by this restaurant, and i remembered i had read that was a good place, so we went in. Only we didn't check the open hours on the door and the place was actually closed - but the chef was very friendly and said we could stay. What suprised me was that he knew about my diet: i must follow glutenfree diet because of celiac disease. Most people in southern Europe have never heard about that, but he had studied many years about it. So that was a nice suprise. I'm also a vegetarian and he made me a delicious, glutenfree vegetarian dish. My parent's were also happy with their meals even if they're not vegetarians.

Great Vegan Options From A Veg Chef - Edit

Great food for a good price. The chef is a quite talkative and cares to please his customers. He understands many allergies and diet choices.

Pros: Variety, Knowledgeable Chef

Wonderful Experience - Edit

Giving this restaurant 4 stars for the food and an extra star for the wonderful service! For college students, or anyone for that matter, who is traveling on a budget this place is a great find. Entree prices range from €9 - €15 along with there being options of selected pre-set multi course menus ranging from €13 - €24 depending on how many courses you want- really great value for money. Our group ordered veggie couscous, ratatouille, veggie tagine, and caviar d'aubergine - we were all gushing about how wonderful each dish was as soon as we took our first bites! This is also a great place for vegetarians/vegans as there are good number of really great options on the menu - we had a vegan with us who was very grateful to find a place with more than one option on the menu. The man who served us was simply delightful, he spoke English really well and overall just made the whole experience wonderful. I would definitely recommend this place to anyone traveling to Nice!

Amazing food by a wonderful host - Edit

I can not say enough good things about this restaurant and its owner. It was like he took us into his home and made a meal just for us. The meal was the best vegan meal we had since being in France (Paris & Lyon) and not only was the food exceptional, the warm atmosphere and welcoming we had from our host made us feel like he was very happy to serve us. The menu was separated into vegetarian (vegan) and meat dishes. The pricing was very modest compared to other restaurants in Nice and France. I had the Hummus starter and Ratatouille entree while my wife had the eggplant caviar with the Tajine entree. Both were more than exceptional. I can not say I have had a meal if this ilk ever before. We both devoured our meals and felt amazing afterwards. It was like being served a home cooked meal, very satisfying and filling without the heavy feeling of most restaurant food.

The owner was an amazing man who made the meal and evening a special time by being jovial, welcoming and charming. My wife insisted on giving him a big hug before we left. I must say I have never had a restaurant experience such as this before, in any country. If you are vegetarian/vegan, this is a must-do while in Nice!!
Updated from previous review on Thursday May 23, 2013

Pros: everything

Cons: nothing

Better than home cooking - Edit

I had a hard time finding a vegetarian restaurant in Nice and was pleaslantly surprised to find this little gem of a restaurant online. The meal was modestly priced but big on flavor.

All dishes are vegan unless you want meat added. The meat is prepared and cooked separatly from the vegetarian /vegan base of each dish. My wife and I shared four dishes, as well as the homemade ice cream. All were great and we'll certainly return on our next trip.

Great Vegan food and nothing too much trouble - Edit

The owner / chef is vegetarian and as a vegan he made me feel very welcome and reassured that my food would be handled and cooked separately from that of meat eaters. I went with someone who eats meat and it is nice that we could both eat our choice of food. The food is North African and delicious, the owner takes a real pride in his restaurant and it makes for a lovely relaxed visit. Nothing is too much trouble for him, and on both visits he brought extras that were not on the menu.

Pros: Caters for people with different diets, Lovely friendly service, Vegan food prepared away from meat etc

Perfect for Veggies and Non Veggies - Edit

Cosy Restaurant with a very welcoming chef who is a vegetarian himself. He fully understands the needs for us vegetarians, e.g. he prepares the veggie food completely seperate from the meat dishes.
Try his Hummus, its near perfection! Just tell him your dietary needs and follow his recommendations. You won't be disappointed!

S & G - Edit

My brother and i chose this place to eat because it catered to both our diets. I loved it that it was owned by a vegetarian chef and that he could cater to vegans. (which i am)
It was a low key place..no airs and graces just excellent service delivered by the owner himself....
He was super friendly and helpful... The food had a home cooked feel and the service was fantastic..At the end of our meals he made us a delicious house blend herbal tea...we hadn't ordered it...he just said here try this......it was piping hot, sweet and minty .a perfect way to end the meal. We left feeling really satisfied and well looked after. In fact he made us feel like we had been guests in his home.

Pros: Friendly service, clean and quiet, good value

Return to Nice Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Alounak Nice closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 5130 times since Jul 2012.