CLOSED: Alluette's Cafe

Contact 843-577-6926

80 A Reid St (at Meeting St), Charleston, South Carolina, USA, 29403

Serves meat, vegan options available. A small, "no pork" restaurant. Offers couple main veggie/vegan options for lunch and dinner and has vegan desserts. Dinner reservations required. Lunch prices are moderate while dinner prices are more expensive. Alluette also owns a jazz bar with the same menu nearby. DEC 2014 REPORTED CLOSED AT THIS LOCATION - RELOCATING ELSEWHERE, please let happycow know when it re-opens!

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, Organic, Southern, Non-veg

First Review by drwiz

Hidden Gem - Edit

We were greeted with big smile. The service was great and so was the food! I had the best black bean burger ever and they even had vegan cole slaw! You can tell the food was made with love.

Pros: Food, Service

soul food is for everybody - Edit

Alluette's is a charming local restaurant owned and operated by lovely people. The theme is slow-food, farm-to-table cuisine, and they are very friendly to vegans...And the food was delicious to boot.

Don't Waste Your Money - Edit

Food was overpriced & portions were small. We could have made the dishes at home for way less. My husband ended up picking up a veg burrito at Moe's afterward because he was still hungry. The restaurant seemed like it was located in a shifty area as well. We live near Asheville, NC and frequently go to vegetarian/vegan restaurants there (Alluette's does not compare to veg restaurants in Asheville). If you are looking for a vegan meal in the Charleston area, Whole Foods deli is better than Alluette's.

Cons: small portions, over priced

Excellent all round! - Edit

A small place with staff who greet you as if they know you! The experience is enhanced when Alluette herself talks to you - food aside that was an experience! The bean wrap was the best we have eaten anywhere full-stop. Excellent stir fry too. Upon request any dish can be spiced up!

Pros: Excellent food, Staff with smiles, Healthy!

Soul food that truly warms the soul - Edit

My husband and I were visiting from out of town and came here for our anniversary dinner. Wow, the food was amazing. Soooo delicious and, as Alluette says, prepared with love. (You could feel the love.) I got the Organic Brown Rice & Tofu Stir-fry. I also had the salad to start - the vegetables were so fresh and tasty, and the dressing was wonderful, too. We came back to Charleston the last night of our trip and ate at Alluette's again. Alluette herself is a lovely woman and she totally remembered us. The *only* thing I wish is that she had more vegan options.

Pros: Delicious, Organic, Inviting atmosphere

Cons: Not a ton of vegan options

LOVED IT!!! - Edit

If you are in the Charleston area this place is a must for vegetarian/vegans. It is a small cute little cafe and the owner is willing to work with you to make sure you get the best dish. She made me my own special plate of seasonal veggies and okra rice, it was AWESOME! She focuses on local and organic produce, the are super friendly, and you will be wanting to come back!

Pros: Organic, Local, Willing to make you something special

Cons: expensive

Charming and hospitable - Edit

Staff greeted me immediately, invited me to sit anywhere I liked, and when I asked about vegan options, identified two on the menu and also offered to make something special, asking what I was in the mood for! The sweet tea and hummus sandwich were good. There were no vegan desserts available on this particular day at lunch.

Pros: Friendly staff, Fun decor, Fresh, tasty food

Cons: No beer

Best in Charleston! - Edit

Alluette actually owns two places, a cafe on Reid
Street and a Jazz cafe on Calhoun and we visited both. The place is not strictly vegetarian but is extremely vegan friendly. Although the choices are limited, they will work with you and give you good portions of healthful, well prepared meals. Don't be in a hurry, because as the sign in the cafe says, "Good food takes time!" We had vegan pasta primavera one night and rice stir fry the next, with tasty salads and sweet potato pie one night for desert. Yummy! The chef at both places was Absalom Thomas, and he came out and talked to us about what we wanted, and how we wanted it prepared. First class service! the cafe is not fancy, but is easy to find and within easy walking distance of the visitors center. The jazz club is more centrally located and the musician, John Hillard was outstanding. Terrific ambiance. My recommendation is the cafe for lunch or dinner (reservations strongly recommended) and the jazz club for a night of good food and good music. The food isn't quick and it isn't cheap, but it is worthwhile. We went to a four star restaurant one night in Charleston, with a supposed international chef, and they offered us nothing but "sauteed vegtables" for an entree....then were surprised when we left. Stick with and support the places that support the vegetarian/vegan lifestyle! Alluette's is a good choice in Charleston.

Pros: Williness to work with you, location, very good food

Cons: a bit pricey, somewhat limited menu

Return to Charleston Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Alluette's Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3978 times since Mar 2010.