American
Fast food
Take-out
Bakery

Plant-based bakery & deli making both sweet and savory foods. For example, you'll find everything from baguettes and loaves to danishes and cookies, to focaccia and tofu sandwiches. Est. 2020. Only serves sandwiches until 2:00pm. Open Tue-Fri 8:00am-5:00pm, Sat 8:00am-4:00pm, Sun 8:00am-2:00pm.

Venue map for Allegro Hearth Bakery
© OpenStreetMap contributors

First Review by ecoRDN

ScottCline

Points +2673

14 Jan 2024

Breakfast sandwich was yummy!

Loved the breakfast sandwich! The pickles made it super yummy! Loved the baked goods too.

Pros: Vegan , Fresh, Friendly staff

Cons: No dine-in

ponchoswindow

Points +684

19 Nov 2023

First time, not my last time.

BUSY. No where to sit, barely anywhere to stand even. Got some little deli fridge items like hummus and cashew cheese, as well as a breakfast sandwich that kicked ass. Delightful and friendly staff.

amanda196

Points +521

10 Oct 2023

So many options!

Had some great sandwiches (seitan melt and breakfast at sandwich) at allegro bakery and was surprised at how filling they were! I wanted to try all the breads and baked goods, would go back if in Pittsburgh again. Also really enjoyed the chocolate chip tahini pistachio cookie, thick crunchy cookie with just enough chew. Best vegan cookie we tried in Pittsburg so far.

Pros: Many options, Good tasting food

Cons: Expensive

TracyWeb

Points +720

01 Oct 2023

All vegan bakery

I was impressed with all of the delicious offerings at Allegro! It was hard to decide what to get because everything looked so good! Loved the breakfast sandwich, croissants and cinnamon rolls.

gavinislame

Points +97

18 Aug 2023

Frequent breakfast

Allegro Hearth is so good I end up there at least a few times a month. The pastries are to die for, their breakfast sandwiches slap, their soups are great, everything they offer has been truly incredible. This place really proves that pastries can be made fully vegan without any loss of flavor, and arguably better than non vegan versions.

Also do yourself a favor and try the cinnamon bun.

Pros: Everything

KathyMullen

Points +52

09 Aug 2023

Everything is amazing!!

I had the seitan melt and it was the best sandwich I've ever had. I've been a vegan for 37 years. I'm originally from Pittsburgh area and I can't wait to go back again when I visit in a few weeks. Everything about the sandwich was perfect, the shears, the vegan cheese, the seitan was the best I've ever had as well, the pickles. The cinnamon roll was fabulous. It was so big, it took me all day to eat and I shared bites with family.The lamination in the roll and in the blueberry danish was unbelievable. The cinnamon roll was caramelized on the bottom which made it even dreamier. I also had a chocolate chunk cookie that was amazing.

Pros: Seitan, Bread, Cinnamon roll

Cons: It was perfect. I can't wait to go back.

CourtneyBublitz

Points +138

19 Jun 2023

Delicious & Welcoming

I stopped here twice on my weekend trip to pgh and I am so glad that I did. The staff is so friendly and the food is just delicious. The staff recommends arriving early (they open at 8am) and/or placing your order online when they open so that you can reserve the best baked goods, since they sell out quickly on the weekends. I loved everything I tried (chocolate cake, cinnamon roll, chocolate filled cruffin, and the raspberry danish) and I can’t wait to go back!

Pros: All vegan, Friendly staff, Inviting atmosphere

KelVonskratchmann

Points +42

13 May 2023

Open, but no food unless you are buying a loaf.

Stops serving sandwiches at 2pm

Cons: Stops serving most food at 2pm.

BettySlutsky

Points +659

29 Apr 2023

No seating, but otherwise nice

I thought it was a restaurant since I saw they have salads and sandwiches, but alas. Still, the staff were very kind and I went away with a lovely salad, generous on the avocado.

Cons: No seating

grubbin

Points +88

29 Mar 2023

yum

got a sandwich and a loaf of bread super good but wish sandwiches were available for order for a longer time during the day

Pros: all vegan

aRandomGuyDudeFellow

Points +110

24 Mar 2023

Love this Bakery

So happy to find a fully vegan bakery that has everything you’d expect to find in a bakery. The bread here is great, and I always get some of their hummus or cashew cheese to have with it. The sandwiches are also delicious, and some of them have good amounts of protein too (seitan melt or tofu).

The pastries are also amazing. Even my girlfriend’s non-vegan family loved the cinnamon rolls here, and always asks me to grab one (or many) if I’m heading to Allegro.

Great bakery, so glad they switched to fully vegan!

Benfell

Points +110

04 Feb 2023

Much longer hours needed

Pittsburgh is not an easy place to be vegan. In general, I would describe the food culture here as vegan-hostile and while a few, not many, but a few places offer vegan options, there are very, very few fully vegan restaurants left. Allegro Hearth is one.

The owner of Allegro Hearth also owned--and closed--the spectacular B-52 restaurant in the Lawrenceville neighborhood. And this place is by no means a substitute. It's primarily a bakery with an extremely limited offering if you're looking for a meal.

It shouldn't be too much to ask for lunch at 3:00 in the afternoon. But they cut off sandwich orders at 2:00 pm, despite apparently having pickup available until 4:00 pm. Why? They just do. It feels cruel.

Pros: great food

Cons: far too limited hours, take out only, limited options

guitargabe

Points +362

18 Nov 2022

I would kill for these pastries in my city

We’re in town to see a musical, and I was so charmed to find that not only is this a vegan bakery/deli but, as it seems by the addition of rugelach and hamentaschen, a vegan *Jewish* bakery/deli. The rugelach was some of the best I’ve ever had, and the pain au chocolat (I’m being pedantic, in the US it’s a chocolate croissant) was amazing. Their breakfast sandwich was also to die for. I would eat here so often if I didn’t live 6 hours away.

Updated from previous review on 2022-11-18

Pros: Great pastries, Great breakfast sandwich

jozieelynn

Points +24

14 Oct 2022

The best vegan spot in pgh

If you love bakery items this place is it!
Plus they have amazing sandwiches and soups 🔥

NikkiStitch

Points +210

01 Oct 2022

All around amazing!

Went for sandwiches, left with those and many delicious baked goods, both were so good! The shredded seitan was one of the best sandwiches I think I’ve ever had. Be sure to try a danish. Pittsburgh is lucky to have Allegro. Thank you to the lovely staff!

froessc

Points +995

31 Jul 2022

Bakery plus

This is a nice bakery with an assortment of lunch items.

Pros: Lots of options , Take out was easy

Libby710

Points +15

15 Jun 2022

Best bakery ever!

Everything here is amazing! The cinnamon rolls are probably the best thing I’ve ever eaten! I also love the baguettes, cookies, and focaccia slices, but you can’t go wrong with whatever you order!

Pros: Friendly staff , Fresh product, Good portions

jjtf

Points +64

18 May 2022

Wonderful!

Stopped in while traveling through town. What a cute little place. Lots of breads and baked goods to choose from. I ordered an avocado sandwich on the recommendation of the person at the counter. It was delicious! I will definitely be visiting again when I’m back to the area so I can try the rest of the menu.

Malfunction

Points +160

17 Mar 2022

Best bakery

Everything I ate here was amazing, best cinnamon roll I ever tried. Love this place, a must go in Pittsburgh.

Pros: Everything is vegan., Everything is amazing. , Online order

AlexisNelson

Points +31

05 Feb 2022

Delicious

Staff was super helpful and the breakfast sandwich was delicious!! I also had a chocolate croissant that was to die for!! Highly recommend checking it out. So cute

Pros: Vegan sandwiches & baked goods, Friendly staff, Reasonable pricing

Cons: Take out only

MelodyC

Points +16

11 Jan 2022

The food was delicious

My wife got the seitan sandwich and I got the mushroom one. We split an apple pastry for desert. Everything was absolutely delicious! #Veganuary

Pros: All vegan, Great service , Spectacular food

i2lovetofu

Points +57

15 Oct 2021

The best vegan baked goods I've had

Last time I was in Pittsburgh, I filled up a whole box of pastries and brought it home to enjoy. Get the pain au chocolat (but leave some for me)!

Pros: Delicious pastries , Fair prices, Super friendly service

goldentopaz

Points +89

02 Oct 2021

Great

Great bakery, unfortunately we missed lunch hours but the desserts were good to fill up on!

CaseyHale

Points +616

26 Sep 2021

Great baked goods!

The sweet baked goods were devine! My favorites were the Apple Galette and Apple Cinnamon Coffee Cake but they were all good!

Pros: All vegan

Cons: Little pricy

ndines

Points +551

20 Aug 2021

Incredible vegan baked goods + more

Wow. Such incredible vegan options!! Went all vegan during the pandemic and they haven’t missed a step. The challah is out of this world!

StephenHannahMascioli

Points +79

12 Aug 2021

Come here weekly!

This place makes me never want to leave Pittsburgh. Everything is fabulous and fresh. The sandwiches really stand out. I could eat them everyday! I am so impressed that everything is also made with organic flour.

Come here for high quality food with a to-die-for taste!

Pros: All vegan!!!!

jamiejars

Points +45

21 Mar 2021

Loved it!

Got the eggplant melt. Tasted super fresh, really filling. Loved whatever cheese they used!