1 Review

First Review by junya

Not for the faint of heart - Edit

This seems to be a family-run restaurant - the kind we all like to support, right? But, sadly, this family restaurant appears to be a bit dysfunctional.
My first visit was about a year ago. The restaurant opened about 30 minutes later than the posted time. The interior was dimly lit, with a rather squalid feel. One of the adults was constantly screaming (perhaps scolding) a kid. Not terribly confident, I decided to just order laksa, as a test. It actually was rather tasty, so I pledged to return one day and order a full meal, and withheld judgement until then.
So today I returned to find it still dimly lit and squalid (and now smelled peculiar too). An infant was being passed around, a young boy played with the chairs. When I went up to the counter to place an order, I was struck by not only layers of grime on the wall, but about a full square meter of bold crayon scribbling on the wall. The auntie rifled through the junk piled on the counter, searching for a place to jot down my order. As she found paper that was already used, she crumpled them and tossed them back into the junk pile.
Easily the grubbiest eatery I've ever seen outside of India - what could the kitchen look like? Although my self-preservation instinct was blaring "MAYDAY!", at that point I felt too committed to bail. So I ordered takeout (local greens, braised tofu, and plain white rice), which would let me discreetly dispose of the toxic waste.
But, to my surprise, the meal looked and smelled so good that I couldn't resist tasting it - and it was delicious! So, what's the judgement? The location is convenient: maybe 300m from the intercity bus terminal. The food is tasty, the service is ok (the auntie spoke very little English, but she did ask whether or not I wanted egg in the greens). Maybe if it were even more dimly lit the dirt would not be visible.

Updated from previous review on 2016-11-18

Pros: tasty food, convenient location, good value, English menu

Cons: CLEANLINESS - YUK!, Eggs: vegans take note!

Return to Sibu Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has All The Best closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.